Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

What day to buy?

More
13 Jul 2015 15:26 #1 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
This is a quick question that I would like to know the answer to.

If a fish shop gets a delivery in on a Wednesday, what day would be best to go and buy them?
Would it be Wednesday as the fish are new stock? Or not as they have just travelled?
Is Thursday to quick to buy them, as they just been put into a new tank and then you are taking them out, travelling with them and putting them into different water in your tank?
What about Tuesday as then they have been in the shop for 6 days and have selttled a bit?
Which day would be best for the fish? Would angel fish be different from barbs or pleco's or Rams etc?

What do you think?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2015 15:52 #2 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic What day to buy?
Good topic Jon, well asked.
In an ideal world the shop would have quarantined any new fish before offering them for sale (a fortnight is the generally-accepted timescale) but, sadly, we don't exist in that ideal world here.
We're faced with a bit of a dilemma - knowing when to buy newly-arrived fish...too soon and we risk getting 'unsettled' fish (which is always rather chancy) and if they're left too long the danger is that someone else will have bought them up.
The following week would be my personal recommendation - it will be interesting to hear what others have to say on the subject.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
13 Jul 2015 16:21 #3 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Bout a week..that way the fish store take the hits on the weaker fish..most fish stores will hold fish for ya on request in case ya miss out on fish that are quick sellers

More
13 Jul 2015 17:16 #4 by paulv (paul vickers)
Excellent question. As John said, good shops quarantine fish for at least 2 weeks. Sadly not all do this. I'd suggest paying a deposit on any fish and waiting 2 weeks before collecting that way any weak or sick fish will show up, especially with young of more expensive fish like discus.

More
13 Jul 2015 17:50 #5 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)
Agree what was already said. More days fish have to settle the better. But as John mentioned you risk that all good will be gone. I don't think deposit will prevent as you can't reserve particular fish, unless you reserve whole tank :laugh:
I don't know how others buy but I like to pick healthy looking fish. I saw some taking just random fish. So if you reserve and some will take the best few days before, you still left with the weak. But usually there are still some good pcs left.

More
13 Jul 2015 20:47 #6 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Good question, and to me it depends on the ideal, the fish species, and the shop.

I would like to see a decent quaranteen period...........and I see quaranteen as being defined as quaranteen (=40 days).
However, reality is also that that costs money and loads of space and one would expect shops to charge for such luxury.

So, now going for reality..............some fish I would probably prefer the shop to take the hit if the fish arrive like pants and die in their tanks first (and what is left alive is foder for buying).
However, for some fish species I would not always trust a shop to keep them in good enough condition....and so I may wish to buy some fish before they have even had time to be poured out of their shipping bags.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
13 Jul 2015 22:00 #7 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Good question have thought this a number of times. If I was trying to get something ordered in special I would try to pick them up in the shipping bag and then only have one acclimation. If just buying I think wait at least 3-4 days and hope some decent stock is left and signs of trouble should hopefully be showing by then.

More
16 Jul 2015 17:12 #8 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
Replied by Jonlate (Jon Late) on topic What day to buy?
So does anyone know what day the main shops get their new stocks of fish in?
I know newlands cross garden centre get theirs on a Wednesday as I saw them arrive the other day.
But what about seahorse Dublin / Galway
Etc
Etc.

Thanks

More
16 Jul 2015 17:45 #9 by JohnH (John)
Seahorse are pretty good at notifying potential customers of their new arrivals on their website, AV does the same - but I think theirs is a Facebook page.
Likewise, I think, for Petco. Uncertain about any others, but it's a pretty safe bet that mid-week would be the time to assume new stock arrives (as with Newlands).

Maybe we can have more clarification from customers/shops themselves?

John

ITFS member.

More
16 Jul 2015 18:49 #10 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)
Seahorse Dublin have a decent size quarantine room (behind wall opposite entrance) so I'm assuming they don't display new stock straight from suppliers.

More
16 Jul 2015 20:00 #11 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Hi we, PetCo usually get livestock Wed-Fri but we do buy from breeders as well as some staff breed the odd species which come in anyday.... so its best to message or keep an eye on our facebook page PetCo Longmile to be more accurate with shipments etc ;)

More
16 Jul 2015 22:19 #12 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
Thanks all for your help so far.
Sorry to ask john, but who is AV!!!??

Fancy a preview of my tank?

More
16 Jul 2015 22:25 - 16 Jul 2015 22:45 #13 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
Hope this works!
Last edit: 16 Jul 2015 22:45 by JohnH (John). Reason: Rotated image.

More
16 Jul 2015 22:40 #14 by JohnH (John)

Thanks all for your help so far.
Sorry to ask john, but who is AV!!!??

Fancy a preview of my tank?

AV = Aquatic Village, no longer a Forum sponsor but they've been very good to us down the years so still worth a mention.

John

ITFS member.

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds