Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Fish we fell for !

More
03 Aug 2015 22:29 #1 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
So the last few evenings ive been watching my tank and I often find myself falling in love with the hobby over and over.I know that sounds mad but i think when we finish the water changes and all the maintaince then only when we sit down and view our tanks do we sometimes appreciate the hobby.So it got me thinking,what fish do we have in our tanks past or present that at one time were no doubt the object of our affection! So for one reason or another we picked that fish and why was it or is it still a fish you just really enjoy.Lets all try and identify one that we think is worth telling the rest about.No doubt some good learning in this thread too as many people will be keen on others opinions.
So my choice is the lovely sparkling gourami.A small fish that really shimmers when you view it,their movement is like a hummingbird under water,so graceful,and many a time Ive heard them make that clicking noise in the tank.Get a few of them if you can.A fish thats small in size but has a big personality.So thats my fish...lets hear some of yours...

Gavin

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2015 22:39 #2 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Fish we fell for !
Nice topic Gavin - and a good choice of species too.

Any pic(s)?

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
03 Aug 2015 22:43 #3 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
I always struggle to get pics and the size of these fellas dont help!then again if you had 9 large congo tetras roaming overhead youd be inclined to keep the head down too!!

More
04 Aug 2015 08:37 #4 by Ski (Alan McGee)
Replied by Ski (Alan McGee) on topic Fish we fell for !
My favorite fish are arowana's by far. I had two, 2.5 feet silver aro's in a 7 foot tank.

Amazing to watch and great personalities. Make water change time very interesting as well!!

Had to sell tank to make room but will defo be setting up something similar in the future.

More
04 Aug 2015 09:18 #5 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Any kind of Corydoras...They are the most peaceful fish you can get and come in so many varieties...I call them the Buddhists of the fishkeeping world...They are either scurrying around working hard or else sitting peacefully meditating....My Black Venezeulans are beautiful and my favourite species but Ive kept Adolfi, Peppered, Albino and Sterbai in the past...They all had the same amazing personalities!

More
04 Aug 2015 11:41 - 04 Aug 2015 11:42 #6 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
+1 on the corydoras. I have a small tank of panda cories and I love them. Cories are the nice guys of the aquarium world.
I love diamond tetras, a vastly underrated fish. Partly because they are unremarkable as young fish but also because they need particular lighting to truly show them at their best.
A recent favourite is the mudskipper. Fascinating, smart, tough and funny as hell :laugh:

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."
Last edit: 04 Aug 2015 11:42 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley).

More
04 Aug 2015 11:54 #7 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
Black ghost knife fish

I had 3 of them they would take food from my hand and swim in and out of my fingers amazing fish and my all time favourite great personalities and very entertaining I think I watched them in the tank more then I watched TV.

Regards
Craig

at the end of the day it becomes nite

More
04 Aug 2015 12:57 #8 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
I have fallen in love with this wild Galaxy pleco, hopefully it's still in seahorse when I get my new tank delivered.

Attachment image-2.jpg not found

Attachments:

More
04 Aug 2015 14:21 #9 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Jonlate they will hold it for ya if ya ask them!

More
04 Aug 2015 17:00 - 04 Aug 2015 17:00 #10 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Another +1 on the corydoras. I just got some for the first time and they are very cool little fish.
Last edit: 04 Aug 2015 17:00 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers).

More
04 Aug 2015 17:51 #11 by alan 64 (alan)
Replied by alan 64 (alan) on topic Fish we fell for !
I loved the gold laze corys I had someday I hope to get my hands on some green lazer but I havnt seen them around alot

More
04 Aug 2015 20:22 #12 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
I really liked my congo tetras when i had them. Fantastic colors when they matured. Fascinated with my channa ornatipinnis at the moment. Never seen fish to eat like them. Although my favorites are my any of my bettas especially the brownorum , coccina and persephones. Smashing little fish

Eric

More
05 Aug 2015 10:03 #13 by paulv (paul vickers)
My adult golden cobra snake head and red tail cat fish. Sadly not with me any more. I kept rainbow fish once and loved watching the males flashing colours.

More
09 Aug 2015 19:45 #14 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
There are so many. My favourites would all have to be categorised.
Favourite sub trop is my channa punctata, amazingly interesting feeding habits and hunting habits! Real predatory fish with an amazing personality
Favourite tropical, probably my rams, German blue rams are amazing little creatures, again very interesting to watch them having their little power struggles for who is top dog etc
And during breeding their colours are class
There are many more categories that I could pick and probably name a fish for each

Mainly in fish I look for personality and interaction

More
14 Aug 2015 23:42 #15 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
My red terrors are no.1 the female shows fantastic colours both male and female grow Hugh and they eat like they were in the wild splashing jumping my 2nd are butterkoferi only word to described them is nuts. I would like a 7 or 8ft tank to keep all together

Something fishie going on here

More
15 Aug 2015 13:19 #16 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
Corydoras are a great little fish, they are so peaceful and keep to themselves.
For personality though it tends to be bigger fish.
I miss my Thorichthys meeki (firemouth) that I had to rehome. Their is always one who has that bit extra over others and it shows through just by looking at it as it greets your approach to the tank.
My other favourite going bigger again is my Vieja synspilum. I have him a few years now. Although he can be shy, he also snaps out of it sometimes and appears to want to tell me when theirs something happening. He was sad when his partner died and came to the front of the tank to get my attention to help. I think he tries telepathic communication but I'm still learning that one.
The best one was when he told me the backup heater had failed, he was happy then when I replaced it. He's still waiting for his reward though. I hope he didn't think that now missing swordtail was for him.

More
15 Aug 2015 17:53 #17 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

Corydoras are a great little fish, they are so peaceful and keep to themselves.
For personality though it tends to be bigger fish.
I miss my Thorichthys meeki (firemouth) that I had to rehome. Their is always one who has that bit extra over others and it shows through just by looking at it as it greets your approach to the tank.
My other favourite going bigger again is my Vieja synspilum. I have him a few years now. Although he can be shy, he also snaps out of it sometimes and appears to want to tell me when theirs something happening. He was sad when his partner died and came to the front of the tank to get my attention to help. I think he tries telepathic communication but I'm still learning that one.
The best one was when he told me the backup heater had failed, he was happy then when I replaced it. He's still waiting for his reward though. I hope he didn't think that now missing swordtail was for him.

If you do find your fish is communicating with you telepathically, might I politely suggest you need to take a break from the hobby... :whistle:

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
15 Aug 2015 20:07 - 15 Aug 2015 20:13 #18 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
Thanks Johnny, I thought I was having a Zen moment :)
What about my talent for sexing a fish by its looks. The females appear more pretty to me and give of a female vibe ?
Last edit: 15 Aug 2015 20:13 by JustinK (Justin Kelly).

More
16 Aug 2015 07:03 #19 by Homer (Kevin)
Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic Fish we fell for !
Pseudomugil paskai neon red.

www.theaquaticplantsociety.org/pseudomugil-cf-paskai/

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
16 Aug 2015 10:57 - 16 Aug 2015 11:01 #20 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)
Has to be the Chocolate Gourami just love them

File Attachment:

Also love Kribensis they were the first fish I'd ever seen protecting there young

File Attachment:
Last edit: 16 Aug 2015 11:01 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill).

More
16 Aug 2015 11:50 #21 by Homer (Kevin)
Holy moly Mark, where have you been?

Did u ever breed the Chocolates?

Kev.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
16 Aug 2015 12:24 - 16 Aug 2015 12:25 #22 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)
Haha hiya Kev
Lost interest! But recently got some Shellie's so slowly getting back in

No they didn't breed kev i lost one and didn't have a pair but I'm going to get more!

I'll have to drop out for a chat some time :)
Last edit: 16 Aug 2015 12:25 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill).

More
16 Aug 2015 12:25 #23 by Homer (Kevin)
Ah OK, I hear ya, pop out, you're more than welcome!

Kev.

More
16 Aug 2015 12:28 #24 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)
Will do. Have you still got the same number?
Pm me if it's changed

More
16 Aug 2015 12:29 #25 by Homer (Kevin)
Still the same mark, ending in 5849.

Kev.

More
16 Aug 2015 16:55 - 16 Aug 2015 16:56 #26 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)
Love to watch my oscars especially during feeding. They are like hamsters, taking so much in their mouth it looks like they can't breath :laugh:
Last edit: 16 Aug 2015 16:56 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak).

More
02 Dec 2015 17:45 #27 by robert (robert carter)
wow this is a really difficult question ,I sit in front of my tank one night and thinks love the albino corys , next day my favourite changes to another species so I guess that means there all my favourites ,guess that's why I enjoy the hobby so much .robert

More
12 Jan 2016 09:48 #28 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
Cories. Shrimp, dwarf cichlids, bns but I always have loved my gang of chain loaches. They are so funny travel in.packs and are great at playing tag with each other, 7 years old now. 4 out of a group of 6 left

More
19 Jan 2016 10:33 #29 by igotadose (matt kaufman)
Black mollies. 50+ years ago. Began a lifelong fish addiction for me.

More
19 Jan 2016 20:53 #30 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
Mine would have to be Kribensis, I find their personalities amazing I could watch them all night.
Stuart

Multi tasking: Screwing up more than one thing at a time.

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds