Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Sump size

More
09 Sep 2015 12:50 #1 by Bazd99 (Barry Delaney)
Hi guys
Just a quick question. Would an 84l sump work on my 540l tank?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
09 Sep 2015 15:11 - 09 Sep 2015 15:19 #2 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Id suggest you size up...you will be limited with what you can do with it and may need to run an external with it....also you will need to ensure you have enough space in the sump for the tank to drain into in the event of a power outage.

Gavin
Last edit: 09 Sep 2015 15:19 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner).

More
09 Sep 2015 15:19 #3 by Bazd99 (Barry Delaney)
Replied by Bazd99 (Barry Delaney) on topic Sump size
Cheers Gavin B)

More
09 Sep 2015 19:23 #4 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
For 540 L tank i go with a big sump 160L + tanks size 3 to 4 foot

Something fishie going on here

More
09 Sep 2015 21:50 #5 by Bazd99 (Barry Delaney)
Cheers James B)

More
10 Sep 2015 14:26 #6 by Bazd99 (Barry Delaney)
Measured cabinet. Max size I can put in is 125x34x38, around 160l. Anyone know where I could get an old tank to use as a sump

More
12 Sep 2015 10:08 #7 by Homer (Kevin)
Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic Sump size
I would be inclined to steer clear of an "old" Tank, you are dealing with a lot of water should you spring a leak, I know, many will say its OK but why take the risk, you would/could end up with the contents of both tanks on your floor and possibly a situation where insurance won't pay, I'd opt for a newer one or completely new for peace of mind.

The above is ONLY my opinion.

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
12 Sep 2015 12:50 #8 by Bazd99 (Barry Delaney)
Thanks Kevin. I understand exactly what you are saying but just can't afford to get a new tank.

More
12 Sep 2015 13:25 #9 by Homer (Kevin)
Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic Sump size
I understand .

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
12 Sep 2015 13:41 #10 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

Thanks Kevin. I understand exactly what you are saying but just can't afford to get a new tank.

I have a clearseal tank, about 90L. It does need to be resealed but I don't think that'd cost much, you might even do it yourself. If you want it I'd take €20 for it. I'm in Dublin.
Johnny.

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
12 Sep 2015 16:14 #11 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
where are you from? you could always call over my way some day and i sort you out
i have a 120L sump but it needs some work the baffles were too close to each other so i took them out
its not big job to put them back in to suit your preferences i am few miles outside tullamore.

Something fishie going on here

More
12 Sep 2015 22:44 #12 by Bazd99 (Barry Delaney)
Thanks so much for all the offers guys, really appreciate it. I got sorted today. Got a 4ft x 14" x 12", 4 compartment tank today. It was an ex-display unit in a shop. Thanks again

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds