Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Believe it or not.

More
07 Jul 2016 09:03 #1 by paulv (paul vickers)
About 7 weeks ago I upgraded the community tank in my daughter room. I replaced a 54L with a 150L tank. After setting up the new tank and transferring the fish from the small tank to the new tank I put the small tank in a shed until I had time to offer it for sale here. Yesterday I went to clean the small tank and found, still very much alive and healthy neon tetra living in about 2 inches of water in the built-in sump in the tank, no heating,oxygen or food for the last 7 weeks. He/she is now with it's pals in the bigger tank. Just goes to show how tough fish can be.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2016 09:35 #2 by robert (robert carter)
Great that it survived

More
07 Jul 2016 15:23 #3 by Bill (Bill Hunter)
Amazing!

More
07 Jul 2016 15:37 #4 by alan 64 (alan)
Replied by alan 64 (alan) on topic Believe it or not.
Great little story that

More
07 Jul 2016 19:10 #5 by paulv (paul vickers)
Pretty hungry little fish for sure. It never lost it's neon blue colours. All you read about water temperature, aeration ph and so on, some fish just have a strong survival instinct.

More
10 Jul 2016 11:40 #6 by damofoxo (Damien Fox)
Amazing how it survived that long. I was cleaning the tank before, took out all the rocks decoration etc including a large piece of bogwood. after about 20 minutes i was wiping down the glass and wondering where my bristlenose was. Couldn't see him anywhere in the tank. Went over and checked the bogwood on the ground and there he was buried in a hole in it. i put the bogwood back in and he didnt stir from it for about an hour. He was fine after that though, I was sure he'd be brown bread!

More
29 Jul 2016 17:44 #7 by CG (K Lynch)
Replied by CG (K Lynch) on topic Believe it or not.
wow, that's amazing! they are survivors!

I had some 3-4 months old platy fry, about an inch long. two disappeared and I could not figure out where they had gone to. I had bought a dwarf Gourami the previous week so I blamed her and brought her back to the lfs.
One months later, I was cleaning out my external filter and there was a thin but alive platy there. Sadly one died.
I put the survivor in my tank and though he's smaller than his sibling he has put on some weight and looks good.
I promised I would never keep male plates again after having to re-home so many but I won't part with him.

More
29 Jul 2016 19:44 #8 by paulv (paul vickers)
There's lots of stories of fish surviving in filters, most don't make it out alive, your little guy was the lucky one.

Time to create page: 0.052 seconds