Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Brycinus Longipinnis

More
05 Oct 2016 20:29 #1 by Gilly (Sean GIllivan)
I absolutely love these fish. Bought the last of them from my local pet store. Got the numbers up to 11 have a feeling I won't be seeing them for a while. Such active fish there movement is beautiful to watch. Added 4 ottocinclus but there twice the size of normal ottos anyone know the name? All in a 110litre for now will hopefully upgrade to a fluval 200litre by the new year.

Life is as dear to the mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not to die, so do other creatures.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
05 Oct 2016 21:10 #2 by des (des)
Replied by des (des) on topic Brycinus Longipinnis
Hypoptopoma sp.
Most likely H. gulare

More
05 Oct 2016 21:12 #3 by Gilly (Sean GIllivan)
Ah my friend your back on the forum or is it me whos made the return?

Life is as dear to the mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not to die, so do other creatures.

More
05 Oct 2016 21:27 - 05 Oct 2016 21:28 #4 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Is this what you have?

www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=236

Otherwise known as Pitbull Plecos
Last edit: 05 Oct 2016 21:28 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered).

More
05 Oct 2016 21:37 #5 by Gilly (Sean GIllivan)
Hey gunnered

I think des has it right being a hypoptopoma gulare. There is not a whole lot online about these and I think theres a good few species in the genus. Feeding hasnt been consistent. So far they have been quite skittish. Are ottos generally more active at night? Ive been putting a sinking wafer in at night when the lights are out

There in with the tetra which are aggressive feeders during the day.

Had a slice of cucumber in the other day that they occasionally landed on.

More
05 Oct 2016 22:16 #6 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
In case you havent come across this in your search..

www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=2534

More
05 Oct 2016 22:21 #7 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
You have some amazing hard to come by fish in that tank of yours Gilly...

Awesome African Tetras and awesome Ottos!

You dont see either species very often at all...

More
06 Oct 2016 06:04 #8 by Gilly (Sean GIllivan)
Thanks gunnered I appreciate it.

More
06 Oct 2016 22:53 #9 by joemc (joe mc)
Replied by joemc (joe mc) on topic Brycinus Longipinnis
nice pickup, they only seem to become available about once a year for a few weeks, beautiful fish, remember they get BIG! and will need a pretty large long tank, they can pick up some speed when they move, keep an eye out for the african redeye tetra, they seem to come available at the same time and make great tank mates, probably one of the most underrated tetras out there good luck with them

FOR SALE
Catappa Leaves
PM FOR DETAILS

Ebay Fish Foods Click here!

More
07 Oct 2016 05:57 #10 by Gilly (Sean GIllivan)
Thanks joe

Yea fell in love with their movement. I like fish like them. They were in with giant danios and looked fantastic.

Ill ge getting a 240 litre soon enough so im sure they will appreciate the extra 100 litres.

Once there too big ill move them on to a good home. Ill keep an eye out for the red eyes

Time to create page: 0.053 seconds