Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Angel fish

More
10 May 2017 19:15 #1 by robert (robert carter)
Just got a nice proven pair of platium angels , can i leave the 2 small panda corys inthe same tank or would they eat the eggs if i am lucky enough for the angels to spawn . Thanks Robert

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2017 20:54 #2 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Angel fish
I personally don't think they would be given even a look at the Angels' eggs by the adult Angels - although some Cories can be quite resourceful after lights out!

I would take them out - just to be on the safe side.

When you say they are 'proven', have they laid and hatched eggs before? If the answer is yes, you should be in for a (comparatively) easy ride although the change of environment might slightly upset their 'rhythm' for the first few spawns (but there again, it might not).

Once (hopefully) you have free-swimming fry and the time comes to remove the adults here is a little ploy which I have found most useful. Assuming you still have Red Cherry Shrimps, you could put in a half-dozen or so to act as a very efficient 'clean-up crew'. They'll mop up any uneaten food (but don't use that as an excuse to skip regular small water changes) and - hopefully - breed and ultimately provide the growing fry with some valuable live food. They'll certainly get good exercise chasing them until they've grown big enough to consume them.

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
10 May 2017 21:18 #3 by robert (robert carter)
Replied by robert (robert carter) on topic Angel fish
Hi John , thanks for your reply , i got them from a guy who has breed them as a pair , he is now going into dicus and thinks the angels are to aggressive for his community tank . I was very plesantly surpised to see how big they are . I cleared a 40 litre tank for them but going on their size think i will do a bit of a move around at the weekend and put the guppy fry into the 40 litre and move the angels into the 100 litre . I dont want to move them too soon stressing them out . Its an ongoing project but could be very interesting . If i do get eggs will need the forum members for advise on feeding etc .

More
10 May 2017 21:31 #4 by JohnH (John)
In my opinion - newly hatched brineshrimp each and every time - best food by far for the fry.

You might want to look into getting a small supply of eggs in advance, they don't 'go off' in the fridge - I was reading that it's even better to keep the eggs frozen, but I've never found this to be a necessity myself - any views on this subject?

John

ITFS member.

More
10 May 2017 21:45 #5 by robert (robert carter)
Replied by robert (robert carter) on topic Angel fish
Hi ,john ,would they not take very fine powered flake ?

More
10 May 2017 22:26 #6 by JohnH (John)
Doubtless they would but for optimum growth and health the live food wins out every time.
And, in my opinion, newly-hatched Brineshrimp is the no.1 food for them. Microworms are OK, but not in the same league. It could be that other members would disagree, those are only my views. Opinions invited, please.

John

ITFS member.

Time to create page: 0.044 seconds