Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

I have killi fry

More
21 Jun 2007 10:24 #1 by ricko10 (jamie)
killi eggs arrived today and so far aboyt 30 fry.
:D

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2007 12:19 #2 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re: I have killi fry
That's very good going...

I've had three different lots of eggs in water for eight days now without a single hatchling - good but rather expensive way to buy peat, though!

Keep up the good work!!!

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Jun 2007 12:22 #3 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: I have killi fry
Well done mate.

More
21 Jun 2007 12:53 #4 by ricko10 (jamie)
i started having fry within 10 minutes. If you want john i will give you the name of the supplier.

More
21 Jun 2007 12:59 #5 by richardbunn (Richard Bunn)
Jamie that is bloody fantastic news. Tell us the name of the supplier on here as I'm sure some of our ebay accounts are about to self destruct with excitement.

Richard

"Everything's going perfectly in my aquarium. What do I do???"

More
21 Jun 2007 13:00 #6 by JohnH (John)
My guess is it's the same supplier as you got Nothobranchius and there seem to be only two doing them from Thailand.
But yes please, it would be interesting to know for certain (by PM might be better).

I searched through the peat with a magnifying glass before putting the eggs in water and couldn't find one egg!

Looks like your delivery contained a goodly supply - perhaps all mine were in your peat!!!!

John

ITFS member.

More
22 Jun 2007 01:20 #7 by ricko10 (jamie)
My second batch is hatching now the same as the first. I probably have about 50 or 60 fry now wich im very happy about. Just one question though. When the fry are a little bigger could i transfer them to my fry tank which currently houses about 15 2 week old guppy fry?

More
22 Jun 2007 05:02 #8 by JohnH (John)
Two things here...

Yes, you could put them in your fry tank, as the Killies grow they will welcome the bit of live food...

More importantly though is you must never mix the females (which would happen if you transferred the whole lot) as you will find them to be so similar that you would probably need to dissect them to find which females are for which males!
Of course if you don't plan to breed them then there would be no woriies but Killies, and especially Nothos will breed with any other of the species - no bother!

John

ps watch out for aggression as well, you'll find you will need to move quite a lot of them (assuming you get anything like the amount of fry you have to maturity) so please bear me in mind....(and Platty) :wink:

ITFS member.

More
22 Jun 2007 12:26 #9 by ricko10 (jamie)
Yes John i will bear you in mind. Hopefully we will soon have a nice collection of killies between us all :D

• Red Empress (Red Empress)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Jun 2007 12:34 #10 by Red Empress (Red Empress)
Replied by Red Empress (Red Empress) on topic Re: I have killi fry
Congratulations ricko. Well done

More
22 Jun 2007 16:00 #11 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
congratulations Ricko. What type of Killie's have you got?
As john mentioned you may need to separate them as they grow depending on the species. If some young start to grow a lot faster than the rest you should move these or they will eat the smaller ones.
A good tip for feeding young Killie's is, look at the size of there eyes, this is the size of the food they can eat. Live food of course.
If you havent already thrown out the peat they came in you should repack it damp and add water to it in a couple of weeks. You could get more young from it.
Good luck with them :)
Darren.

More
23 Jun 2007 05:59 #12 by ricko10 (jamie)
I have got eggersi red and beira98 and currently feed bbs, and liquifry no1. Just ordered some non annuals too so hopefully i can get the same result. I just hope they reach adulthood.

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds