Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Dye'd Fish

• georgina (georgina)
  • georgina (georgina)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Oct 2005 05:13 #1 by georgina (georgina)
Dye'd Fish was created by georgina (georgina)
Hello everyone,
I just stumbled across this site by accident but am well happy to have found an Irish tropical fish keeping site.

The reason I'm posting this is because I want to ask you all have you ever seen or are aware of "painted glassfish". I was in a pet shop in Cork city a couple of weeks ago and seen these fish. For those of you that may not know, these are normal glassfish with a dye injected into them to give them a kind of fluorescent colour. This practice is extremely cruel and most fish that are injected die very quickly as the site of injection never heals properly. Also those that survive, eventually lose their colour.

Does anyone have a feeling on this. I was really disappointed to see them in an irish pet shop. the magazine "Practical Fishkeeping" has set up a campaign against this practice. In ireland the only members are

Kilkenny Aquatics Ltd Hennesey's Garden Centre Kilkenny
Aquarium Centre 19c Ballybough Road Dublin Dublin
Fish Fx 96 Patrick Street Dublin and
Horkan's Garden Centres Turlough Mayo

I dunoo, I just think its a horrible prectice and people should not buy them!

Anyone agree or disagree????
G

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
07 Oct 2005 09:21 #2 by Dave (Dave Fallon)
Replied by Dave (Dave Fallon) on topic Re: Dye'd Fish
Its a most appaling practice and shops that stock them should be boycotted, Newlands garden centre have been known to stock, painted tetras, glass fish dyed and the like.

theres plenty of beautiful fish out there without having to try and make them more attractive.

Qui Vivra Verra.

• georgina (georgina)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Oct 2005 02:49 #3 by georgina (georgina)
Replied by georgina (georgina) on topic Re: Dye'd Fish
I know, I emailed the ISPCA bout 2-3 weeks ago about it. I got an email back saying they had only 6 delegates to check up on these things across the country. SIX, I couldnt believe it. I havent heard anything back from them yet so I assume they're not treating it as a priority case or anything like it! I was in two pet shops in Cork city there over the weekend and both were selling painted glass fish, in one tank there were about 8 dead! Its so annoying to see. But in one of the pet shops they had leopard gecko's, i have one of them too, and I have never seen such sickly looking animals. They were completely mal nourished, it was terrible to see it. I dunno how places like this can stay open!

Dave do you think irish ppl know the background into these painted glassfish?

G

More
10 Oct 2005 10:06 #4 by Dave (Dave Fallon)
I agree, I've been to some poor petshops in my time. Where I work, we take pride in keeping our fish and reptiles healthy and this is rewarded by very few deaths.
The ironic thing is, if it was in England, the pet shop would be closed down, straight away and given a hefty fine. Ireland seems to be 20years behind europe in how our government controls the abuse of animals by some shops.
saying that, of course there are a few pet shops that have no problems through simply.

Most of the uninformed public are very nieve as to how fish get to be 'pink' etc. Too many 'zoo visitors' a lovely colourful fish is a nice feature, they dont think about the process in which they are put through. However the blame cannot be put with the consumer, its the shops responsabilty to inform customers how to keep fish and whether they should know. However many dont, again where I work, we dont stock any dyed fish or hybrids such as parrots, unless customers bring them back to us, reluctantly we take them.

Its a terrible process that the hobby doesnt need.

Qui Vivra Verra.

• georgina (georgina)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Oct 2005 06:00 #5 by georgina (georgina)
Where do you work? I'm thinking of writing off to the ISPCA again but i dunno if it would be worth my while at all! I'm really pi**ed off with it all to be honest with you. I mean pet shops should care for their animals but most of them dont give a shite. The nicest shop ive been in is baumanns in stillorgan. George there really looks after his fish, i dont think ive ever seen a dead fish there. Theres a place in Midleton aswell and he's fairly good too.

Any other good reliable pet shops you know of. I try and only go to the reputable ones that I know are taking care of their animals!
G

More
11 Oct 2005 14:26 #6 by Dave (Dave Fallon)
I can only speak for myself and where I work as I dont really have the time to go visiting pet shops through work and school.

Qui Vivra Verra.

More
14 Dec 2005 08:31 #7 by AndyT (Andy Taylor)
Replied by AndyT (Andy Taylor) on topic Re: Dye'd Fish
Good on you for raising this issue, Georgina....I had words with staff at the fish store mentioned above as they've started stocking dyed glassfish again. I don't think it'll make any difference though. Some people just don't care.
They also had a pangassius catfish labelled as suitable for a community tank, only grows to 8 inches, they say.....8 feet more like, but that's a seperate issue.
Maybe we should 'name and shame' any shop stocking dyed fish so we can avoid them if they won't change?

170L Bowfront Community Tank : Heavily planted : CO2 : T5 lighting

• georgina (georgina)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Dec 2005 03:27 #8 by georgina (georgina)
Hey AndyT,
I never heard any word back from the ISPCA, not surprising really. I know they've only very few representatives BUT if it was a cat or a dog or even a bird that was having dye injected into it you can be bloody guaranteed they'd investigate. I avoid going into those shops. Another pet shop in the city, (its not big into fish) has started to stock them aswell. That leaves only one (that i know of that doesnt). Thats Pieces near Roches.

It wrecks my head coz I've got a gecko too. I need to feed him live crickets and I have to go to either of those shops to get them. I've no choice and I suppose thats why they dont really give a s**t, coz they know they'll get the sale regardless....

Soryy for ranting on, but it really p***es me off...

G

• keith (keith)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Dec 2005 09:12 #9 by keith (keith)
Replied by keith (keith) on topic Re: Dye'd Fish
YES name the shops who are stocking this fish.SO they know we all should boycot the shops.I know of 2 garden centers.

• conor (conor)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Jan 2006 13:22 #10 by conor (conor)
Replied by conor (conor) on topic Re: Dye'd Fish
If people want dyed fish, then I suggest they dye themselves first.

Makes no sense? Well neither does dyed fish.

• georgina (georgina)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Jan 2006 07:42 #11 by georgina (georgina)
Good point..

• boroughmal (boroughmal)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Apr 2006 05:31 #12 by boroughmal (boroughmal)
Replied by boroughmal (boroughmal) on topic Re: Dye'd Fish
We know the importer of them into Ireland - FK Pet in Greystones...

We think its absolutely disgusting and won't be selling any of them .... regardless

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Apr 2006 10:14 #13 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: Dye'd Fish

I agree, I've been to some poor petshops in my time. Where I work, we take pride in keeping our fish and reptiles healthy and this is rewarded by very few deaths.
The ironic thing is, if it was in England, the pet shop would be closed down, straight away and given a hefty fine. .

Dyed fish in England is still legal. A lot of shops have joined the OATA. They display the sticker in their windows declaring they are members. The OATA is against the dying of fish. If you want you shop to be a member you can not sell dyed fish. We need something like this here and boycott all fish shops that sell dyed fish.

• karen84 (karen84)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Apr 2006 10:42 #14 by karen84 (karen84)
Replied by karen84 (karen84) on topic Re: Dye'd Fish
i think it should be banned everywhere. i agree with harry we should boycott all the shops that sell them.

• boroughmal (boroughmal)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Apr 2006 14:34 #15 by boroughmal (boroughmal)
Replied by boroughmal (boroughmal) on topic opinion
great fun innit, discussing things, when, what it really means is that 20 years time a few of these fish will become the norm. all because some little s t in india get hold of a syringe full of dye and has fun. the problem is " why do we continually allow others to f k up the eco-system & debating a lost cause.
Sooner or later dyed fish will be the norm, as with the other gm crops that filter through by the grain from the field next door & no one knows whats modified or whats not.
Or perhaps its allready happened to the human race!!

Stop this now.
do away with all dyed fish.
Dont buy?, No dont stock & if you do "Beware" There are some of us that are dinasaurs & are still alive!!
One little corner of ireland that still influences the world?
LOL

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds