Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Alien in my tank

More
13 Jul 2007 18:22 #1 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Todays is Friday 13th and an alien has landed in my tank! This little guy made an appearance today and I have no idea where he (or she) came from. It is about 3/4 inch long and seems to stay around the surface all the time. Very hard to get a photo as it stays hidden in the plants. The tank contains Elephant nose, L091, L134, L144 and a single Otto. Nothing has gone into the tank for at least a month or more. I am taking a wild guess at a Killie from the tail, but I really have no idea. Any suggestions.

<br><br>Post edited by: Daragh, at: 2007/07/13 19:25

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2007 19:05 #2 by koinonia (koinonia)
looks like a fish:silly:

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Jul 2007 19:33 #3 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re:Alien in my tank
Hi Daragh,
it's a Fundulus killfish. Not quite which exact species. PM RichardBunn. He'll be able to tell you
Holger

More
13 Jul 2007 19:35 #4 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re:Alien in my tank
Definitely a Killie, I would say it was a young uncoloured Epiplatys-type, possibly Annulatus. Did you get any plants of late from a mutual friend? It might have just had a stray egg on it...You have most definitely imported one from somewhere!

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
13 Jul 2007 20:35 #5 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Sorry mate. It would have been an egg on the Hygrophila guianensis plants that i gave you a couple of weeks ago.
It's a Eepiplatys grahami.
www.irishfishkeepers.com/cms/index.php?o...id=4448&catid=27
I am surrprised you only have one.;)

More
13 Jul 2007 21:03 #6 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
I thought you might be to blame :laugh: :laugh: I hope it's a male, from looking at your photos he would be a little stunner. Because that tank has 6 plecs it gets a lot of syphoning so it is a wonder that even one survived. Well mystery solved anyway. Do you want him back?

Daragh

More
14 Jul 2007 01:07 #7 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
sure if you dont want to keep him i can stick him in with the 30 or so i have here.
If you do want to keep him i wont charge ye'

More
14 Jul 2007 02:36 #8 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Another one just turned up, half the size of the first, so I guess there may be more :-)

More
15 Jul 2007 10:17 #9 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re:Alien in my tank
Am I sick or what???

I've spent a small fortune buying packs of peat from across the world supposedly with killifish eggs in...only to find you hatching out Killies inadvertantly! Maybe I shouldn't try so hard!
Well done nevertheless.
John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
20 Jul 2007 08:47 #10 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
He looks like a little beauty, Looks like you are keeping Killies now, At least it wasn't snails!!!!;)

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

More
20 Jul 2007 10:02 #11 by Cillian (Cillian Murphy)
I also attempted to buy killi eggs from across the world only when they arrived there was none in the peat either of the times. I would be interested in breeding them if anone has any advie or spare killi's PM me please.
Cillian

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds