Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Agressive Moonlight Gouramis ?

More
15 Jul 2007 22:09 #1 by decmac71 (Declan McNamara)
Hi,

From everything I've read about Moonlight Gouramis it seems they should be passive and shy and generally good community fish especially the females. However I have 2 (pretty sure they are female) and one definitely seems agressive towards the other. She seems to deliberately follow her and nip. She doesnt seem to bother any of the other fish though.

Anyone seen this before ? Should I only keep one ?

Thanks,
Declan.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 Jul 2007 23:31 #2 by ricko10 (jamie)
generally speaking moonlight gouramis are peaceful fish but they too can still get territorial.
Are you positive that you have 2 females and not mixed sex?
If they are 2 females then they are probably establishing a pecking order and should settle down. Make sure you provide lots of plants and hiding places to prevent bullying.
My understanding of moonlight gouramis is that they can get up to 6inches so you need to consider tank mates.

More
15 Jul 2007 23:51 #3 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
I have always found gouramies to be territorial whether they be male or female. What size tank do you have them in? The bigger the tank the better as they are more likely to ignore each other.

From my experience, gouramies are good community fish if you have no more than 3 in a 200l+ tank.

Regards,

Ken.

More
16 Jul 2007 05:57 #4 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
I agree with ken, most gouramis are ok in a 200+ L tank, Honeys and sparkling etc. are fine in smaller tanks, but i would consider moonlights peaceful........but as they say fish dont read books, or nowadays the internet!!

More
16 Jul 2007 08:26 #5 by decmac71 (Declan McNamara)
The tank is a 180 litre, tank mates are 6 x Rosy Barbs, 4 x Platies, 2 X Mollies and 12 Neon Tetras.

I thought the barbs might be the problem but they generally seem to have accepted their new tank mates.

Declan

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Jul 2007 10:33 #6 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re:Agressive Moonlight Gouramis ?
I have always kept Gourami until a few weeks ago, hand on heart they are probably my favourite tropical fish.
Graceful and beautiful.
But they are nearly all prone to a 'bit of bovver'
Chasing, nipping and headbutting (ramming the flanks of another fish) are all pretty common.
IME this is rarely fatal, but on the occasions they just would not let up there were fatalities.
Keep an eye on them and if one gets damaged by the other remove it immediately and return to LFS.
I only had deaths at the very start with Gourami, and my solution was simple and found by experience, years before I had even heard of Malawi cichlids.
Keep more Gourami, and the aggression will be divided amongst them. It has always worked for me.
Problem is then, you have small fish too, and they will be eaten eventually.

Time to create page: 0.038 seconds