Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

What do u think?

More
22 Jul 2007 19:58 #1 by neki (neki)
What do u think? was created by neki (neki)
Hi everybody!

I have got a 60L tank and I have 3 male Dwarf Gouramies and 1 Angel Fish.
I was thinking maybe I can add some Tiger Barbs. I have red that they likes to nip the others fish when they are not in a school but when they are in school they don't nip.

Do u think I can add 6 Tiger barbs in my tank?If not what do u suggest me?

Thanks!!!

Neki.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
22 Jul 2007 20:50 #2 by Acara (Dave Walters)
My concern here would be the angelfish.I'm presuming its a Juwel rekord 60?I have one and they are rather shallow,even if it isnt a juwel,a 60ltr is not ideal for an angelfish.As somebody mentioned in a similar post the other day,a \"60ltr\" tank will only ever hold 60ltr when it is fill to the brim with NOTHING else,ie filters,substrate,rocks,wood,etc,etc.Taking this into account you would be lucky to have 50ltr in there.Angels need a deeper,larger tank,and indeed,prefer company of their own kind.
I can't actually help you with the barbs or the gourami,I havn't kept either,but have heard that the barbs are fin nippers.As with all areas of fishkeeping,what works for some,dosn't for others.I'm sure other users will give you good advice here.Good luck with what you choose to go with.

Dave

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
22 Jul 2007 21:11 #3 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Neki,

You've posted a few times and every time you've been advised to rehome the angel. I would not add anything else to that tank until the angel is rehomed. A 60l tank is way to small. You would need 200l minimum to house an angel. As Acara said, the tank will also need to be deep as angels can grow to a height of eight inches.

Regards,

Ken.

More
22 Jul 2007 23:22 #4 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re:What do u think?
Neki,
KenS and Dave Acara both have told you right here, but I just get the feeling though that you will go ahead and buy new fish regardless of what advice you are given!
If your Angel and Gouramis are living alright now then don't add to them! I note you are looking for a larger tank...get it first, cycle it properly and only then think about getting more fish! (But I would steer clear of Tiger Barbs with either Angels or Gouramis, the barbs are far too active for your more sedentary existing fish to be able to cope with) (not to mention the fin-nipping issue!).
By all means get your larger tank, move your Angel and Gouramis into that and buy your half-dozen Tiger Barbs for the small tank...honestly, you are looking at trouble mixing them!
John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
22 Jul 2007 23:26 #5 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Tiger barbs are nippy fish and having a group of them helps to contain the nipping among themselves, however with angels in the tank the long flowing fins are just too tempting for a tiger barb to ignore, no matter how large the tank or the group of tigers. Angels and tigers just do not mix.

Go with the suggestion of getting the larger tank first and them think of alternative tank mates for your angels and gourami.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Jul 2007 08:25 #6 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re:What do u think?
Tiger barbs are a no-go with any fish with long fins and this will include gouramis, angels, Bettas, etc. no matter what size of tank you own. Go for something a bit more peaceful like rasboras (harelquins are nice) or tetras but stay away from Serpae tetras. They are IMO worse than tiger barbs.
As mentioned before your tank is several sizes too small for angels. A 150l would be the minimum size. But you are looking to buy a 180l tank which shows that you are listening to what people are telling you on the forum.
There is always a temptation to overstock and anybody telling you they don't want to put these couple of extra fish in, is lying to your face ;)

More
24 Jul 2007 20:13 #7 by neki (neki)
Replied by neki (neki) on topic Re:What do u think?
Thanks everybody for your advices:)

Sorry for answering late:(
Yes I have got a Rekord 60L aquarium and I know that it is too small but the problem is that I live in a small apartment and there isn't to much space.So I can 2 tanks at the same time:( (I would like to but ...)

The other thing is that I am a begginer and I bought the tank a bit more expensive than it's in the normal shops.I cant sell it just for 4 months for half price.

After I read all your advices I'm not adding anything else in the tank:(

Thanks everybody!!!

Neki

More
24 Jul 2007 20:57 #8 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re:What do u think?
Hello again Neki,
This is a very sad story you are telling us...I am very sorry that you were charged over the right price for your tank and understand your difficulty at the thought of not being given very much for it in part-exchange...you have my sympathies there.
I still suggest you should consider changing the Angel Fish and the two Gouramis for some smaller, more suited to your tank fish...you could have a couple of small shoals of 'community' fish with possibly a couple of Corydoras Catfish to then have activity through the tank layers...you can always return to your Angels etc when you are able to negotiate a larger tank at some time in the future.Conversely you can always just keep your three existing fish if you are happy with them for the time being. I am pleased, though, that you have decided not to add any more fish to them, in my opinion you would only have been posting telling us of more losses in the future, fish aren't exactly cheap to be forever removing dead ones!
If you do decide to change to a smaller 'community' of fishes don't be afraid to ask - there are lots of people who could advise you as to the best choices to make.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

Time to create page: 0.046 seconds