Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

fresh water stingrays

More
12 Aug 2006 17:55 #1 by Damian_Ireland (Damian_Ireland)
does anyone keep singrays ?
i have just seen a tank with Discus , congo tetras and a Motoro Stingray...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 Aug 2006 13:41 #2 by Dave (Dave Fallon)
Never kept them personally but there easy to keep provided they have the right conditions. Soft sand substrate, plenty of open space, superb water quality(preferably with a U.V. aswell) and plenty of the right food in there diet.

There good for big tanks and can mix with the likes of discus, but avoid big cichlids and other big bottom dwellers who will out compete them for food. Can be made hand tame aswell.

Dave

Qui Vivra Verra.

More
14 Aug 2006 01:51 #3 by Gavin (Gavin)
i've kept them for a few years now, nice soft water (I can only stress again that the water quailty must be excellent think discus good and you are nearly there) newly aquired specimens can be tricky to feed at first given that some breeders feed them on live bait.Mine are all hungry hippos now though and will eat a wide range of foods (from the hand I might add)..wouldn't keep them with anything they can fit in their mouth mind you.Also worth noting that these guys need to be kept in a wide bottomed tank that you will probably have to get made.Most "off the shelf" aquariums are not suited to their needs.This will also have to have a river sand bottom as they like to dig into the sand and hide.It goes without saying that you have to be carefull of the barbed tail as it can deliver quite a painfull injury.Some dealers leave the shipping cones on the tail..these will need to be removed as the tail will get necrosis and rot otherwise.PM me if you need anything else.Hope this helps _Gavin.

dont make me come over there.

More
22 Aug 2006 07:20 #4 by arabesque (Mick Veale)
fishfx have loads of rays in stock at the moment

Time to create page: 0.039 seconds