Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

bala sharks

• evan (evan)
  • evan (evan)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Nov 2005 03:28 #1 by evan (evan)
bala sharks was created by evan (evan)
:?: I am reasonably new to tropical fish keep ing and recently purchased a 160ltr bow front corner aquarium. I have a nice community tank including angle fish loaches plecs platys and gouramis, I also had bala sharks until recently. However they continually contracted white spot and fin rot, despite treating them with commerically available medication they died. I've now lost 4 all together. Am I donig something wrong in relation to these fish?
I have an external eheim filter 500l/h
I have removed the carbon filter? Right or wrong?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• campo (campo)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Nov 2005 19:46 #2 by campo (campo)
Replied by campo (campo) on topic Re: bala sharks
hi evan i can not keep a bala for more then 3 days.I think it is the one fish i am not to have but i love them so...did you get your water tested???what is ur ph like????

More
19 Nov 2005 16:10 #3 by Dave (Dave Fallon)
Replied by Dave (Dave Fallon) on topic Re: bala sharks
What did you get for your Ammonia, Nitrite and nitrate results. The PH doesnt really matter because a) they can tolerate a wide range(within reason) and B) the other fish would have been affected if it were so.

Balas can be sensitive and first and should be added to an established tank, they can also be very skittish and nervous which may have triggered white spot in them.

Treating quickly for white spot is vital. Allowing the parasite to become free swimming can progess it, when did you treat them after you noticed they had white spot? What medication did you use? I assumed you 1/2'd the dosage due to botia being in the tank. Removing the carbon was right as it will only remove the medication if left in.

Qui Vivra Verra.

• evan (evan)
  • evan (evan)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Nov 2005 10:48 #4 by evan (evan)
Replied by evan (evan) on topic Re: bala sharks
All the tests I carried out were within acceptable levels, (I,m In work at the moment can't give exact values). Balas were the first fish I put in to the tank but trived brilliantly for about 3 months. After that it was just one thing after another. Med was standard of the shelf no.3 Anti white spot and fin rot stuff. The other fish also began to show symptoms but all recovered with no problems. Maybe I'll wait a while before I try some again.
Thanks for the suggestions
Evan

Dave why should I have halved the dose, I don,t understand what you meant?

• georgina (georgina)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Nov 2005 12:07 #5 by georgina (georgina)
Replied by georgina (georgina) on topic Re: bala sharks
Could another fish in the tank have been bullying them? This would weaken their immune system making them susceptible to disease. i dunno..it just seems that if they thrived away fine on their own and problems only started with the introduction of other fish, and the water was of good quality it may be an issue??? Maybe something to think about?

G

More
22 Nov 2005 10:39 #6 by Dave (Dave Fallon)
Replied by Dave (Dave Fallon) on topic Re: bala sharks
You say that you have loaches in your tank, all 'loaches' come from the botia family which unlike almost all other families lacks scales on its body, the repercussions of this is that they arnt sometimes dont do to well, when you add treatments so its advised you half the dosage to avoid this with any scaleless species..But seeing as you had no problems its irrelevant.

Qui Vivra Verra.

Time to create page: 0.037 seconds