Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Freshwater Crabs

• milsey (milsey)
  • milsey (milsey)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
30 Aug 2006 12:49 #1 by milsey (milsey)
Freshwater Crabs was created by milsey (milsey)
Hi guys was just wondering if anybody had freswater crabs in teir tanks. If so would you advvise on getting them and are they good for a comunity tank, what do they eat etc. etc. what size tank do they prefer, you know the question!! Looking forward to and ideas on it. Thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2006 16:10 #2 by Deeco (Deeco)
Replied by Deeco (Deeco) on topic Re: Freshwater Crabs
They will eat the left over of most foods i found especially the the pellet food for catfish.
Make sure the lid and cover is tightly secure and i mean tight i found one of my guys under the tank in the cabinet he had climbed down the wire from my heater about two foot tried to prevent it but he still got out again never did find him..

I also had one years ago when in my mam's and found him under my bed

You know yourself

More
30 Aug 2006 16:11 #3 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
I use to keep them with fish with verry few problems. They did go for small bottem dweling fish and try to snip at them.
They need to be able to exit the water, so you will need some wood or similer sticking out of water.
I use to keep them in a juwel record 60 and they would spend a lot of time in the filter on top of the sponges.
If there is any gaps in the lid they will escape. That is one thing they are good at.
They will eat pritty much anything you offer them.
I hope this helps. :)

More
02 Sep 2006 07:33 #4 by Gavin (Gavin)
Replied by Gavin (Gavin) on topic Re: Freshwater Crabs
ahem..these red "fresh water crabs you see in most aquarium shops are indeed bracks in nature and don't last so long in fresh water. Not really recomended with fish, as the may snip at the fish while they sleep on the bottom, this wont kill most larger fish but may lead to nasty infections and open wounds etc.cichlids enjoy eating them too they also love to shred plants in planted tanks..all in all a bad addition to most community set ups given their rquirements and habits. Why not make a small biotope just for the crabs..?? they dont need that much space

dont make me come over there.

• MistressAlphaFemale (MistressAlphaFemale)
  • MistressAlphaFemale (MistressAlphaFemale)'s Avatar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Sep 2006 05:56 #5 by MistressAlphaFemale (MistressAlphaFemale)
Replied by MistressAlphaFemale (MistressAlphaFemale) on topic Re: Freshwater Crabs
I find if you add a teaspoon or 2 of sea salt (Instant Ocean) they do just fine. If you add it slowly your other fish don't mind. You do need a good lid though find the little buggers everywhere !!! And the Swords really love the salt. Not a good rec for planted tanks.

Time to create page: 0.039 seconds