Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

juwel filters

More
20 Sep 2007 21:43 #1 by koinonia (koinonia)
I found a good site that sells multi packs of filters

I got 4 boxes of poly pads
2 boxes nitrate removal
2 boxes coarse
1 box of carbon pads
all for £18.03 plus 3.50 postage to reublic of ireland.

the site is www.urmstonaquatics.com
I ordered on the 15th and got them today

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
20 Sep 2007 22:37 #2 by Carl (Carl M)
Replied by Carl (Carl M) on topic Re:juwel filters
Hi koinonia,

Glad all went well for you. On their website they say:-

“We do NOT send goods to the Republic of Ireland – due to constant problems with delayed deliveries, lost items and damaged goods (we just gave up in the end!)”

I might try placing an order myself:)

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 Sep 2007 22:42 #3 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re:juwel filters
Very handy site thanks!

More
21 Sep 2007 08:57 #4 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
Don't waste your money buying the Juwel pads. Buy the green genie pond slabs of sponge, much cheaper and do the same trick.Just cut them to size.

Has it ever been proven that the nitrate removal pads even work (Holger, looking in your direction here for a scientific answer).

Or are the just called nitrate removal pads because thats what filters do anyway. Like calling a bottle of water \"Thirst quenching fluid replacement water\".

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Sep 2007 09:24 #5 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re:juwel filters
Never tried the nitrate removal pads since I don't use Jewel filters. Jewel claim that those spomges contain bacteria that will bring down your nitrate levels.
Ok, let's look at the way nitrates are broken down. You will need anaerobic conditions. The only area in a fish tank where you are likely to fing this is the bottom of the substrate but only very little nitrate is broken down there since a source of carbon is nedded for the process (denitrification). There are carbon sources in the top half inch or so of your substrate but it is an aerobic environment. The rest of your substrate is in an anaerobic state but there is no source of carbon.
You could built a nitrate filter but it is quite complicated. Depending on the concentration of nitrate you will need a source of carbon that cannot be fermented,i.e. you will have to add something like ethanol. Does that makes sense to anybody?
OK, let's keep this simple. Water changes, water changes, water changes. Complete waste of money if you ask me to buy these sponges.

Ok, and let's put this into perspective as well. Nitrate is actually not that lethal to fish. Most will be able to tolerate 50mg/l no probs (in comparison 0.1mg/l of free chloride will kill most fish). What nitrate essentialy does, is stunt fish growth from about 35mg/l for most species and encourage algal growth.<br><br>Post edited by: apistodiscus, at: 2007/09/21 16:29

More
21 Sep 2007 18:32 #6 by koinonia (koinonia)
You burst my bubble:evil: :silly:

It was still a good buy:woohoo:

Time to create page: 0.042 seconds