Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Anybody looking for Asian Freshwater rays

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • apistodiscus (apistodiscus)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Oct 2007 14:23 #1 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Anybody looking for Asian Freshwater rays was created by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Just saw Himantura oxyrhynchus in one of the LFSs in Cork. Won't put the name of the LFS on the forum since this particular LFS is not a sponsor. But this is the first time I have seen these fish and it would be great if they'd get a proper home. PM me for price and where they are available

Holger

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
09 Oct 2007 17:25 #2 by tazdogue (tazdogue)
Any info on these?
Size tank required? What type of fish can they go with etc?
I wont ask the LFS but how much are they going for?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Oct 2007 19:05 #3 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re:Anybody looking for Asian Freshwater rays
You basically need a tank with a lot of bottom area. Height is secondary. You probably looking on a 6*3 foot tank or thereabout. You can keep them with anything that won't fit under their wings. I have never kept them myself

More
09 Oct 2007 20:08 #4 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Is that the same fish as referred to here? zipcodezoo.com/Animals/H/Himantura_oxyrhyncha.asp

Seems very rare and endangered to turn up in an LFS.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Oct 2007 10:13 #5 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re:Anybody looking for Asian Freshwater rays
Sure looks like it anyway.The picture on the link you posted isn't great but the body shape is the same. I found this link www.siamensis.org/images/webboard_images...Pics_reply_00840.jpg
The fish on offer have a bit less colouring on top (which could be explained by just coming all the way from Singapore with a 30 hour delay by the airline)

More
10 Oct 2007 14:25 #6 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Have seen them a few times on lists from Thailand, but didnt get them for obvious reasons!!!!! They have appeared a few times in the UK, Wildwoods and a branch of Maidenhead aquatics had them in a few months back!!!

More
10 Oct 2007 21:35 #7 by Carl (Carl M)
Oh dear... I get the 'coli-wobbles' when I hear things like this.

At least I am fairly confident that Maidenhead in d UK may adopt their stock as ‘in-house pets’ if they do not find a suitable home for them. (At least I hope so… they have in the past).

I am not familiar with contact details of public aquaria in Ireland… is anyone else? I will start researching them in the morning if nobody has any ideas. It would be such a shame to have a beautiful, endangered live-bearing fish like this waste away in a novice’s 48” through no fault of their own.

Do you know if the LFS that has them knows what they actually have? And do you think they would be responsible enough to refuse a sale to someone who does not know what they are buying?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Oct 2007 08:20 #8 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Hi Carl,
Forget public aquaria in this country. They tend to keep native Irish species and not tropicals.

I did a bit of research myself. They don't grow overly big with a 36 cm disc. Most South American grow bigger. If I had the space I'd buy them. The problematic issue seems that they tend to susceptible to fungus infections when their skin gets damaged. So no aggressive fish on the same tank. Throw in some anti-fungal medication while they settle in (Anto, you can use salt :laugh: ).
I think the price tag will discourage anybody to buy them if they don't know what they are dealing with.
The LFS keeps them in a separete tank with a bare bottom. I don't know if they are feeding since I didn't get a chance to pop in and have a look at them.

Holger

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds