Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

apple snails

More
17 Sep 2006 10:10 #1 by lampeye (lampeye)
i was thinking of putting a coupke of apple snails in a rekord 60 shell dweller set up to control algae.....anyone kept them before? are they good algae eaters....if so how many should i get?

lampeye

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• MistressAlphaFemale (MistressAlphaFemale)
  • MistressAlphaFemale (MistressAlphaFemale)'s Avatar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Sep 2006 02:58 #2 by MistressAlphaFemale (MistressAlphaFemale)
Replied by MistressAlphaFemale (MistressAlphaFemale) on topic Re: apple snails
only get 2. If they are happy you'll have 9 million in a month. They like to lay thier eggs on the hood by the light. or on ther glass tops. They hatch pretty fast and grow even faster. Pick off what you don't want. And when you get enough start looking for the eggs on a reg timeing so they don't over crowd the tank.
They are pretty for Snails and do alot of work ssssllllooooooowwwwwwwlllllllyyy. Hope this helps.

More
19 Sep 2006 04:11 #3 by Gavin (Gavin)
Replied by Gavin (Gavin) on topic Re: apple snails
make sure you have no plants they eat em bigtime....

dont make me come over there.

More
19 Sep 2006 05:35 #4 by zebadee (zebadee)
Replied by zebadee (zebadee) on topic Re: apple snails
My 2 cents is that they are an eventual pain in the butt. I have an ancystrus in my tank along with about 12 shellies. I have a piece of tufa rock in the corner of the tank which he hangs out in during the day (out of the shellies way :)). At night he does his thing and the tank is all clean. I find snails go nuts on the reproductive front and once they get in the tank they are virtually impossible to get rid of. That said I'm not so sure that apple snails can handle the high gH/kH/pH of your water for shellies?

More
20 Sep 2006 02:11 #5 by lampeye (lampeye)
Replied by lampeye (lampeye) on topic Re: apple snails
yeah might give em a miss so....are your shellies reproducing or is your ansistrus eating the fry?

lampeye

More
20 Sep 2006 03:59 #6 by zebadee (zebadee)
Replied by zebadee (zebadee) on topic Re: apple snails
My shellies are producing fry about every 4-6 weeks, the main predator of the fry is not the bristlenose but other shellies who are not the parents. I have found the best way to get fry is to have 2 colonies in a 120L, a shell bed at each end of the tank with a line of sight barrier in the middle.

I personally have in the region of 45 shells of varying size, 8 adult occellatus split into two breeding 'suburbs' with the adolescent fry living in the 'ghetto' shells near the rocks in the middle of the tank. The rocks in the middle of the tank are tufa with java fern growing on the top/sides which also provides hiding places from maurauding adults.

Time to create page: 0.041 seconds