Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

How many fish to stock in one go.

More
23 Oct 2007 14:57 #1 by dclifford (Derek Clifford)
I plan to add about 12 flame tetra to my tank. Will there be any issues with adding all 12 in one go?
I have a 125L tank currently stocked with 4 cory cats, 2 ottos and 3 amano shrimp.
I have somebody that is taking my 3 dwarf gourami.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Oct 2007 15:17 #2 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
Replied by ChrisM (ChrisM) on topic Re:How many fish to stock in one go.
Reduce feedings before you put them in and gradually increase day by day.This way there isnt going to be any spikes and the bacteria will get a chance to handle its new bio-load.If your not sure do a water change a few hours before putting them in!

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Oct 2007 15:45 #3 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re:How many fish to stock in one go.
How long is the tank established? If izt is well cycled, 12 tetras shouldn't be much of an issue. Do a partial water change the day before you add them if want to be sure to be sure.

More
23 Oct 2007 16:16 #4 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
If the tank is fully cycled over 6 weeks it should be ok, feed sparingly fo the first week or so to give the bacteria in your filter a chance to multiply, and test your water!

More
23 Oct 2007 16:33 #5 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
The previous advice is spot on.

I had a bad experience with some Flame Tetras years ago.
They died off really quickly on me.

I found them to be beautiful fish but i haven't gone near them since, maybe it was just a bad experience on my part.

Actually, its a while since i've seen them in the shops, Where are you getting them?

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

More
23 Oct 2007 20:05 #6 by Carl (Carl M)
dclifford wrote:

Will there be any issues with adding all 12 in one go?
I have a 125L tank... I have somebody that is taking my 3 dwarf gourami.

I think trading 3 Dwarf Gouramis for 12 tetra will not present any problem whatsoever.

If your water is not 'adjusted' in any way there is a filter medium you can buy called 'PolyBio Marine Poly Filter' which is without doubt the best chemical filter media on the market. Expensive! Worth the money once it will not affect your water Ph as it WILL extract every organic acidifier present in the water and make a considerable change to your water parameters if organics are involved. Likewise it will have no effect on sodium-based buffers and leave your water parameters exactly as they started (except for the fact that it will remove a lot, if not all, of the other pollutants present in your water at the moment). I use this on all my tanks that do not involve peat/leaf/organic additives and find it to be excellent in keeping water parameters where they should be…i.e. pollutant free. Any fish added, no matter the quantity, cannot compete with the filter medium and water stays at the pollutant-free level it should be.

Hope this is of some use to you.

I have come across very few other aquarists that use this filter medium (I think mainly due to its expense) and would like some feedback from you if you decide to include it in your regular tank maintenance. If so be careful! Not all fish react to cleaner water in the same way! Some actually like a little pollution to keep them happy:S

However, as I said at the start I do not think you will have a problem adding Tetras when you are removing 3 Gourami at the same time.

All d best, Carl

More
24 Oct 2007 10:55 #7 by dclifford (Derek Clifford)
I saw the flame tetra in the Orchard garden centre in celbridge.
The tank is running for nearly 2 months now.

Thanks for all the feedback.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Oct 2007 11:53 #8 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re:How many fish to stock in one go.
@Carl,
Poly Bio Marine Poly Filter sounds good if it does exactly what it says on the label and it sounds a great product for anybody with Central American and Rift Valley cichlids, marine or hard water set up. Not so great for softwater set-ups,like discus or any South American set-up. Don't want to risk a pH shock

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Oct 2007 12:52 #9 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re:How many fish to stock in one go.
The product site says it will not affect ph at all?
I'm considering this stuff Holger, it seems excellent.
Especially for my marine nano tank, could be just the ticket.

More
24 Oct 2007 12:57 #10 by Carl (Carl M)
@ apistodiscus
I agree totally.
As I said in my post it will remove every trace of organics from the system and should not be used on tanks that have water adjusted with peat/leaf/acid additives.
It is the only product of its kind that I was able to find an independent lab analysis report on and it ‘it does exactly what it says on the label’. Actually it does a lot more! I always thought their marketing department could do a much better job of promoting it.

More
24 Oct 2007 13:02 #11 by Carl (Carl M)
Didihno wrote:

The product site says it will not affect ph at all?
I'm considering this stuff Holger, it seems excellent.
Especially for my marine nano tank, could be just the ticket.

It will not affect pH provided there are no organic buffers but it will strip all organic acids from the water!
It think should be perfect for a marine setup though. I say think because I do not keep marines and there may be many factors I am not aware of.

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds