Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

my fish just jumped out of its tank???

More
28 Oct 2007 02:06 #1 by nala (n h)
This has never happened before! Tank temp is 21'C, about average for this tank. I heard a bump (must have been when he hit the tank cover) and saw my goldfish and my weather loach shoot back down the tank. I think it was the loach cos he is a bit mad and very fast, I have the goldfish 7 years and he just potters around.

Why would my loach jump? Does this mean he isn't happy? Maybe he needs a bigger tank? He lives in a 14L with the goldfish (who is small despite his age) and two baby gold barbs.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
28 Oct 2007 08:07 #2 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Hi nala,i think your weatherloach is doing what hes suppose to!!! During bad weather, storms etc. they pick up electrical charges in the air and become very active, constantly swimming up and down, this is where they get their common name!! It could also be water quality, i would check this first, but soulds like bad weather is expected, where do you live, have you had rain, thunder lately?????

More
28 Oct 2007 23:42 #3 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Hi nala. More than likely the weather as serratus said.
I used to keep these and one (6-7\") would swim up the outlet pipe of an external filter. He would make it about 12\" up the pipe before getting spat out again. The flow was 1200lph.
They were always jumping during stormy/rainy weather.
Some of these grow quite large. How big is the one you have at the moment?
14L really is verry small for such an active fish.
200L may be more realistic to what the loach would be comfortable in.
It dosent take them long to grow to adult size. 1-2 years.
I hope this helps.

More
30 Oct 2007 00:32 #4 by nala (n h)
I live in Kildare, it has started pouring rain here all of a sudden the past few days!!!

More
30 Oct 2007 00:51 #5 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
I would say this is why he/she jumped. Nothing to worry about. Just keep the lid on. These are verry slimy and slippery. You could find it nearly impossible to pick one up of the floor if it escaped from the tank.

Time to create page: 0.040 seconds