Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Denisonii Barbs

More
05 Nov 2007 00:15 #1 by Yasser (Sarah Cullen)
I bought a few a couple of days ago and I've just taken the first dead one out of my tank a few minutes ago.

My water parameters are fine and I'm a very experienced fish keeper (even though this is my first post here).

I had some about a year ago and they didn't last at all. Any fish I've bought from this shop and it's the same. They keep dying on me. I hadn't bought fish from this shop in over a year but I decided to try them again as they have such a wide selection.

I won't be going back.

Has anybody had any joy with Denisonii Barbs or am I just unlucky. The fish that died seemed to have a red patch on it. There is another one looking the same and will probably be dead in the morning. I'll take a photo and post it here when he dies. :angry:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Nov 2007 00:50 #2 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re:Denisonii Barbs
Hi, i think you'll be asked to post all your water parameters before anyone could possibly help.
If only for your own sanity, go check your water.

And welcome to the forum mate, i hope someone here can help.
Unfortunately i've never kept these.

More
05 Nov 2007 00:57 #3 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
I have ten that I bought in town about 6 months ago, they are all doing fine, in fact I took and posted a photo of one of them last night here: www.irishfishkeepers.com/cms/component/o...w/id,23818/catid,27/

A red patch is usually a bacterial infection, have you any idea if the fish had just been delivered to the shop or if they were there a few days. Sometimes the dtress of travelling and the resulting poor waters conditions cause the infection and it kills pretty fast. Alternatively they could have picked it up in your tank, though that is extremely unlikely in such a short space of time.

What size were they?

Platy252 has two separate batches of them and I believe his are all doing well too.

More
05 Nov 2007 01:43 #4 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Welcome yasser.
I have 16 of these at the moment and i havent had any problems with them at all.
Sounds like bacterial problems as Daragh said. Esha 2000 way work.
I would see them as a hardy enough. They appreciate a good flow and plenty of oxygen.
Can you PM me were you got them?

Darren

More
05 Nov 2007 10:09 #5 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
First of all, Welcome to the site.

People often talk about getting a bad batch of fish after putting them into their tank and watch them die one by one. But in reality it could be that the original fish in the tank have acclimatised to nigh Ammonia and Nitrite levels and the new fish cannot cope.

In your case you have checked your parameters so the above isn't true for yourself. I think you have been unlucky and bought sub-standard fish. It happens to all of us some one stage or another.

There are a few \"disease experts\" on the site, hopefully they can sort you out.

Good luck.

Peter

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

More
05 Nov 2007 11:18 #6 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
I have found them quiet adaptable as far as water chemistry goes PH 6.0-7.5 as long as there are no pollutants, as platy says they do need high oxygen levels though.What size were they, do you know if they were wild-caught or farmed, how many did you get, what else is in the tank, what size is it, post up your water params. give us as much info about your tank filteration, maintainance regime etc. and we will try and help.

More
05 Nov 2007 12:37 #7 by Yasser (Sarah Cullen)
Thank you for your answers and suggestions. In the last 5 minutes I've retested the water and the results are

Ammomnia 0ppm
Nitrate 5ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Ph 7.0

It's a 4 foot tank, it's well oxygenated and has good water flow. I use one of the Ehime external wet/dry filters (2225), offhand I can't recall the number. It's well maintained and the carbon is regulary changed.

As suspected the second Barb died during the night leaving me with 4. Here's the not very good photo of the dead fish. . .

homepage.eircom.net/~seanjamesdaragh/200...02-12-20050005f1.jpg

Also in the tank is about 25 large cardinal tetra's, two angel fish, some corydoras catfish and 3 plec's. All other fish are fine and have been in the tank at least 1 year.

Maybe I'm just unlucky this time.

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Nov 2007 14:24 #8 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re:Denisonii Barbs
Sure your water is better than mine!
(I have high nitrates)
It can be frustrating to lose fish when you don't know why.
I'd say the lads above are right and that stress has brought it on.
Plus you never know the water params in the shop.

More
05 Nov 2007 20:05 #9 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Looking at the picture i would say an internal bacteria problem. You may have to treat all your fish with a suitable treatment. Sera, Waterlife, or Esha are good brands of treatments.

The filter would be fine since it takes oxygen from outside the tank to feed the colonies of bacteria that break down the Amonia and Nitrite. Leaving a high level of oxygen in the water for the fish.
I use the same filter with mine.
You are doing well to keep the Nitrate down to 5ppm.

Darren.

More
05 Nov 2007 22:46 - 06 Nov 2007 03:26 #10 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Nitrate at 5ppm, I would love that! I have a wet n dry (2229) on mine too, (there must be something about Dennisons and Eheim). Can you check if the test kit is in date and that you are leaving it 5 minutes or whatever the instructions say to be sure of that reading. Definitely looks like internal bacterial infection, I have seen it all too often in corys. Before commencing treatment Platy252 suggested I would do a 30% water change just to be sure.

Are you close to the shop in question, it would be interesting to see if their stock are still alive. Have you told them what has happened and how did they reply?

BTW welcome to the forum.
Last edit: 06 Nov 2007 03:26 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens).

More
06 Nov 2007 17:38 #11 by Yasser (Sarah Cullen)
Thank you for all your help and for welcoming me to the forum. I've just contacted the shop and am waiting on a reply. A third barb died today :(

More
07 Nov 2007 18:27 #12 by Yasser (Sarah Cullen)
My tank destroyed, dead fish everywhere. Whatever csme in with those Barbs is running amock in my tank. There's dead bodies everywhere. About 15 stunning looking Cardinal Tetra's all dead, a few corydoras catfish and a couple of other's.

This time last week I had a thriving tank with some beautiful fish in it, now it's a disaster zone. I'm gutted :(

More
07 Nov 2007 18:58 #13 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Really sorry to hear that. It are there similar marks on the Tetra and Corys? Trying to think what would have caused a wip out like that, so quickly considering that up to yesterday it was just the three barbs. Any other info you can give us?

More
07 Nov 2007 19:03 #14 by Carl (Carl M)
Replied by Carl (Carl M) on topic Re:Denisonii Barbs
Yasser wrote:

This time last week I had a thriving tank with some beautiful fish in it, now it's a disaster zone. I'm gutted :(

Really sorry to hear that Yasser. It is very disheartening when you have everything running smoothly and a new addition to the set-up ruins it all:(

I do not know if you have seen the recent thread about fish tanks for sale in Aldi this weekend but they seem perfect to use as a quarantine tank, if you have not got one already.

More
09 Nov 2007 21:23 - 09 Nov 2007 21:24 #15 by Yasser (Sarah Cullen)
After this disaster I will be using a quarantine tank for any future purchases. Barb number 4 is about to die, here's a picture I took of him about 5 minutes ago. It's not a great picture but you can see the red patch on him.

homepage.eircom.net/~seanjamesdaragh/200...0902-12-20050018.JPG

There's not much left in my tank now, a couple of angle fish and 1 or 2 catfish.

Once again thank you to everybody for advice and to all those who have PM'd me too.
Last edit: 09 Nov 2007 21:24 by Yasser (Sarah Cullen).

More
09 Nov 2007 21:39 #16 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
It's time for the flusheroo for that fish, there is no point leaving it in the tank to die. A quarantine tank is an excellent idea, as you're finding out too late, but most of us found that out the hard way, so I wouldn't worry.

I am still a but mystified by what happened your tank. In my experience bacterial infection like that did not pass to other fish, after all if it is brought on by stress and poor transpor conditons the fish in your tank did not suffer the same conditions why would they development the infection. So that means that there are two possibilities, that the barbs brought in something else or something esle caused the death of their tank mates.

What could they have brought with them that had no impact for three days and then causes a load of your fish to die, but did not kill the barbs???

What else is going on in your tank, have you retested your water, did you treat with anything when the first barb died?

Anyone else got any suggestions, this just does not make sense to me. And finally how did you get on with the shop, what did they have to say and are they losing their stock of barbs?

Sorry about all the questions, but I would like to get to the bottom of this.

More
10 Nov 2007 17:01 #17 by Yasser (Sarah Cullen)
I'd like to get to the bottom of it too.

I retested the water and the readings are still the same as the previous post and I also used a second test kit and got the same results.

I've been treating the tank with Myaxazin and did a 50% water change before I started the treatment.

The shop offered to replace the 3 Barbs that died (it was 3 when they contacted me), but I declined their offer.

All 6 Barbs have died and all that remains in my tank is 2 large Angel Fish (which don't look their normal self) and about 5 Cardinal Tetra's which also look the worse for wear.

I've just returned from my usual fish shop where they had gotten in some Denisonii Barbs. If only I'd have waited another week and this disaster might have been averted :(

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds