Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Your stocking ideas please?

More
09 Dec 2007 16:02 #1 by MonsterFish (Monster Fish)
Hi,

My father is combining his tank of N. Multifasciatus from his office with the one he has at home leaving him with an empty 40-odd litre tank at his work.

A tank which he would like me to stock for him as a Christmas present. So any ideas on what to stock?

To give you an idea of what he would like if tank size were not an issue;

- He wants a communitty tank
- Some cleaner fish/inverts for algae etc.
- something that would breed (preferably not livebearers)
- Must be colourful to some degree
- After having 3 multis in the tank he wants it to have greater numbers this time round.

So there we go, not an easy task considering the tanks size.
I have a few ideas on what to do but I would like to hear what other forum members would suggest.

PS tank only contains shells so decor needs to be purchased also, ideas on that would be good too.
PH of the water is 7.1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Dec 2007 17:34 #2 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:Your stocking ideas please?
Hi MonsterFish,

Colourful community fish : guppies, swordtails (either red or iridescent), siamese fighter, some tetras are pretty cool looking too. Personally, I'd stay away from Dwarf Gouramis, they are cute and colourful but caused me some trouble! ;-)

Cleaning crew : bristlenoses are great little characters. Loaches are good fun to watch too (pakistani or clown for example).

For decoration, there are some very nice terracotta pots out there and they look nice in a tank in addition to providing some hiding spots for the fish.

I hope this helps.
Valerie

More
09 Dec 2007 21:13 #3 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Hi Monsterfish, maybe some rainbowfish, dwarf of threadfin or even some forktails or blue eyes (pseudomugil species) very nice fish!
Some barbs-pentazona, dwarf golden(gelius)even pencilfish, i could go on......
I know you said no livebearers but you could try halfbeaks?

More
10 Dec 2007 13:42 #4 by MonsterFish (Monster Fish)
Thanks guys. The threadfin rainbows sound like a good idea, and the pencil fish. In terms of the siamese fighter, I will definately have one of these if they are compatible with whatever else I choose.

In terms of cichlids is there anything colourful that is small enough to breed in the tank BUT also be compatible with some other fish?

More
10 Dec 2007 19:56 #5 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
I would look at tetras or cory's. The loaches, i would say not, the majority would be active only in the evening and the clown loaches are tank busters - a big no. Maybe Botia sidthimunki(Dwarf Chain Loach)a minimum of five, they are unusual for loaches in that they will shoal. The bristlenoses are great but just check which ones you get. For the strata, sand is always good but be careful that it will not raise the ph to much. But if you take a little time and read some of the previous posts on here you will get plenty of ideas.

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
10 Dec 2007 21:18 #6 by MonsterFish (Monster Fish)
Thanks mwdragondk. Yeah I have a few ideas already, too many really.
What I was really wondering was just what some of you would stock if you were in my position?

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Dec 2007 11:52 #7 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re:Your stocking ideas please?
If you are looking for cichlids, I would suggest one of the following:
-Apistogramma borelli
-Apistogramma cacatuoides
-Pelviachromis pulcher

They all stay relatively small and can handle the pH. The A. borellis and P. pulcher can be kept in pairs. With A. cactuoides aim for 3 females to one male.

Time to create page: 0.039 seconds