Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Re: corys

More
03 Jan 2008 16:35 #1 by suckers (matt lait)
When i got my first corys i was told they were peppered corys. The female has now spawned at least 6 times( got babies from 2 lots of eggs only) but nowseems to have lost alot of her colouring and her babies( now 2 inchs long) are very pale coloured.
They are fed jmc catfish pellets and pet plus bottom (sinking) tablets+ spirulina.
tank is planted with coral substrata.
Water parameters are as follows:
10 NO3: 0 NO2: 7 deg GH: 6deg KH: 7.2 ph: temp24.5
Is this the norm?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
03 Jan 2008 16:55 #2 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_Corydoras_paleatus.php

corys do keep them i do not know alot about them . here is link might help but if you could but up a photo it may help and there will be some one on later who will be of great help to you

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
03 Jan 2008 17:40 #3 by paulbohs (Paul Doyle)
Replied by paulbohs (Paul Doyle) on topic Re: corys
Don't know if this is the case but i was raeding about losing colour and it says that if the lighting is too bright, fish can lose their colouring. Have you changed position of the tank into sunlight or your lighting lately?

More
03 Jan 2008 21:47 #4 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Suckers, Corys coloirs are very variable, but they should not all change at once for no reason. Have you recently changed the gravel or other decorations. The pH would normally be higher than 7.2 with coral, are you sure that is correct, could the kit be out of date? Corys like pH at 7.0 or less, though C paleatus are just about the most flexible, they are not even fussy about temp.

When you switch on the light in the morning are they darker or still pale. A photo would be great.

Finally have they spawned since they turned pale?

More
04 Jan 2008 17:33 #5 by suckers (matt lait)
Replied by suckers (matt lait) on topic Re: corys
Daragh_Owens
ive just checked the ph again( tube in date till 10-2009) 7.2 ph.(but i have noticed the gh has gone up to 14 deg). i do/did use peat plus to lower ph as my water is very hard.i have 3 lumps of bog wood in the tank(200ltrs).the only thing that has happened in the tank l8ly is my backgroung floated so i dont have one at the moment.

the lighting doesnt make any difference to them as i only have the strip lighting on for 3 to 4 hrs and the rest of the time i use blue and white L.E.D.s as it suits the front room better.

the corys have spawned since they turned pale

paulbohs
the tank has been in the same place for the last year

hope these pics come thru.

More
04 Jan 2008 17:43 - 04 Jan 2008 17:43 #6 by suckers (matt lait)
pics maybe
Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Jan 2008 17:43 by suckers (matt lait). Reason: pics not uploading

More
04 Jan 2008 17:45 #7 by suckers (matt lait)
pics2 lol ill get use to this soon!
Attachments:

More
04 Jan 2008 18:02 #8 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
suckers wrote:

Daragh_Owens

the corys have spawned since they turned pale

If they have spawned in their pale colours, they must be happy enough and I would not worry too much about them.

I have C adolfi and C duplicareus, both lovely corys if the are on a black substrate, put them on standard gravel and they fade almost totally. They just adapt to their surroundings.

Time to create page: 0.047 seconds