Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

fish for top of tank

More
21 Jan 2008 11:46 #1 by umm (karen baker)
hi there. Has anyone got suggestions as to what would be a good fish for the uppermost area of a tank. Probably be putting in loaches tiger barbs and tetras. Thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
21 Jan 2008 20:18 #2 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
it depends on the tank if you have a good hood i would consider hatches they are jumpers but a lovely speciems do comunity tank only. any srtress and they take flight.

Porthole Livebearers(Also known as Five-spot Livebearer) (Poeciliopsis Gracilis) middle to top

something interesting may be nomorhamphus liemi snijdersi males about 2inches females up to 4 do i would not have very small mouth size with them. ph 6-7, temp 20 -24, dh is important have to look up but water changes are important

what size of tank are we talking

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
22 Jan 2008 01:53 #3 by Deeco (Deeco)
i would put in a shoal of danios zebra's or leopard they are seriously active i love them pity can't have anymore

You know yourself

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Jan 2008 09:34 #4 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re:fish for top of tank
For the very top I would try Butterfly fish, they are stunning but not terribly active fish.
I have 5 and I love them.

You could also go for Hatchets.

More
30 Jan 2008 23:55 #5 by umm (karen baker)
Hoping to get a 1000L but if that doesnt work out then a 450L min.

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
31 Jan 2008 09:21 #6 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re:fish for top of tank
Thats gonna be a monster of a tank!
Is this your first time keeping fish?
IMO barbs tetras etc are a waste of such a large tank, you should go for more interesting fish.
Cichlids would be brilliant in such a tank.

More
31 Jan 2008 09:48 #7 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
I'd go for a whopper shoal of Congo Tetras (budget permitting) or some Pentazona Barbs.

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

More
06 Feb 2008 11:25 #8 by umm (karen baker)
I haven't kept fish for about 10 yrs now. Really excited about getting back into it. Trying to get a quote for a custom made tank but no luck as of yet. Would love some Cichlids. I think they are a lovely fish.

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Feb 2008 14:48 #9 by 2poc (2poc)
Replied by 2poc (2poc) on topic Re:fish for top of tank
If you are gonna go for cichlids 'Acei' tend to stay around the upper areas of the tank. Lovely fish too.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Feb 2008 14:55 #10 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re:fish for top of tank
A tank that big would look amazing full of African cichlids.

More
11 Feb 2008 00:00 #11 by Coler (Coler)
1000 litres ??

yegods lol what a tank.

I'd put a vote in for Africans there too...some deepwater haps from lake malawi for a start.

in the right aquascape cichlids will generally use a lot of the water column and I think you'll find them more interesting than a tank full of peaceful community fish.

More
17 Feb 2008 11:10 #12 by umm (karen baker)
Thanks for all the advice. Looks like we've settled on a 800l tank, so I'm hoping to be able to put in a good mixture of fish. I know i have to be careful in my selection though. Saw a pic of a ADOLFOI CORYDORAS in Anthoney's gallery and think they are so cute, so would love some of those. Kept albinos years ago and they bred like mad(of course at the time didn't realise I would have to seperate the fry from all the other fish so you can imagine where they ended up!):blush: Now know a LOT more about fish keeping,(although considering that I obviously knew nothing that's not hard) I kept gold fish in the tank that grew as big as sumo wrestlers and actually saw them eating the fry:ohmy:ohmy: )so learnt my lesson. let you all know how I get on.

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds