Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

tank setup re design

• bradan (bradan)
  • bradan (bradan)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Feb 2008 11:02 #1 by bradan (bradan)
tank setup re design was created by bradan (bradan)
hi folks

i have a standard setup jeuwel vision 180 tank with the standard filter , pump heater, lights etc, with dark gravel.

i am considering changing the gravel to sand, adding some bog oak, and possibly changing the filter to a cannister type ( to recover space)

i have tetras , 1 pleco, 2 bala, some black phantons, columbian tetras,
silver tips, buenos aires tetra, about 22 fish in total.

any recommendations for this plan?

if i change to a cannister filter, where do i put the heater? at the moment its integrated to to the jeuwel one..

would it be better to buy a smaller tank to store the fish in while i carry out my work? what size tank would be sufficient?

any recommendations appreciated..

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
08 Feb 2008 11:28 #2 by paulbohs (Paul Doyle)
Buy a stand alone heater, they have suction cups so you can attach to any wall in the tank. You can also use it in the storage container your keeping the fish in while you do your work. 1 large plastic container will do and as long as they wont be in there too long you wont need a pump to create surface disruption. If you don't have a container, you can get a 240 liter wheelie bin for around 15 euro. But in fairness, if you think you could use a 2nd tank, get a 2nd tank.

More
08 Feb 2008 11:45 #3 by Acara (Dave Walters)
As Paul says,a plastic tub will suffice,but make sure its food grade.(or get another tank,you know you wanna!)But whichever way you go,you should really take out the fish,easier for you,and it would be very stressful for the fish.
With the sand,make sure its washed well.I do it in the back garden,if you do it in a sink,bath,etc,you may put sand down the plug,and eventually block your plumbing.
An external is a good choice,plenty to choose from,my choice would be a Tetratec ex1200.Slightly highly rated for a 180ltr tank,but thats what I'm using on my 180,and it does a damn good job.I installed it in early nov(roughly),and am going to open and clean it today for 1st time.Lazy,yes,but have been keeping close eye on water parameters.A Tetratec 700 will be a bit cheaper,and only uses 13watts as opposed to the 1200's 21watts.
You can place the heater anywhere,although near the filter outlet will allow the heated water to circulate.I would buy a new one,and keep the Juwel as a spare.A 300W comes with the Vision180.Plastic guards can be bought reasonably cheaply to help protect the fish.
When finished,take a photo,and post it in the gallery!

Dave

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

• bradan (bradan)
  • bradan (bradan)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Feb 2008 11:50 #4 by bradan (bradan)
Replied by bradan (bradan) on topic Re:tank setup re design
i rang my local shop and they dont stock external filters they order them in.. do you know anywhere i can buy one that have them in stock in ireland?

cheers

More
08 Feb 2008 11:54 #5 by Acara (Dave Walters)
I know Aquatic Village have plenty of the Tetratecs in(well did last wknd)
Our others sponsors all have various externals in stock. www.aquatic-village.com
Try Petstop www.petstop.ie

Dave

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

Time to create page: 0.047 seconds