Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

made the leap to external filtering.

• bradan (bradan)
  • bradan (bradan)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Feb 2008 18:13 #1 by bradan (bradan)
made the leap to external filtering. was created by bradan (bradan)
hi folks

made the leap today to external filtering, got a fluval 305.
tank is a jeuwel vision 180..
have changed the subtrate from gravel to sand, added some bog oak, ( water in my area is hard)

removed the internal filter and just now using the external
305. fish happily living in spare aquarium until the new setup is ready for them,,,

i noticed that the external filter is noiser than the internal one was... is this normal? also the aquarium is cloudy since the sand was added ( was washed b4 hand) how long would it take to clear?

also how long will the filter take to mature?

cheers

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
09 Feb 2008 18:21 #2 by dclifford (Derek Clifford)
I found my external filter to be a little noisier too. But I have gotten used to it.

More
09 Feb 2008 22:53 #3 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Hi Bradan,

You'll find the Fluval externals noisy for the first few days. It's air in the system when they're new. My 305 sounded like a sack of spanners for the first few days. Now it's whisper quiet.

Regards,

Ken.

More
10 Feb 2008 02:33 #4 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton)
I do find my Tetratec EX700 is noisy for a few minutes after I clean it out but once i get the air bubbles out of the system its down to a whisper too..I dont even know its on unless I touch it. I'd give the filter a good shake...get those bubbles out...

I find it odd that the noise could go on for a few days...give it a good bashing..that'll shut it up!

More
10 Feb 2008 02:38 #5 by paulbohs (Paul Doyle)
My ex1200 is noisy sometimes when the hoses move. I just try to make their path easier and I cant hear her anymore. I should chop the excess really :S

More
10 Feb 2008 10:26 #6 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
Hi Bradan,

Best of luck with the new filter, it will quieten down pretty soon.

The sand will be cloudy for maybe as much as aday but you'll be happy with the end result.

Can I ask, why are the fish transferred into a temporary tank? The sand won't do them any harm, I assume you transferred the old filter media into the external so the fish should be fine in the 180.

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

More
10 Feb 2008 13:17 - 10 Feb 2008 13:23 #7 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton)
Those internal filters compared to the external are quite small so as you can imagine it will take a day or two for the bacteria to increase in there...but...still with that said, if the internal could support the fish before there is no reason why the external with the internal filter sponge in place wont support them now unless you have bought more fish that is.
Last edit: 10 Feb 2008 13:23 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton).

More
10 Feb 2008 15:40 #8 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Bradan if you didn't use the filter media from the internal you could pick up a bottle of Tetra safestart.
This will allow you to add fish straight away.

• bradan (bradan)
  • bradan (bradan)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Feb 2008 20:47 #9 by bradan (bradan)
Replied by bradan (bradan) on topic Re:made the leap to external filtering.
i set up a new juewel rekord 60 tank , i put the filter media from the 180 into the new rekord filter. i used also the old substrate from the 180 and put it in the rekord 60..

moved the fish in to the rekord 60 to give me time to give the 180 vision tank a good clean
and remove the internal filter, add silver sand as substrate, added also 2 nice pieces of bog oak, 180 tank was every cloudy white last night, huge bacterical bloom going on... its clearer now but still a small bit cloudy... i had given the old filter sponges a good squeeze into the 180 tank to get as much bacteria from the sponge in there.

every now and then some bubbles come from the 180 filter, so the air is still working its way out...all it needs now is some time to bed in...

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds