Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

shy gourami

More
13 Feb 2008 21:29 #1 by waterdragon (claire feely)
Hi
Just wondering if any one could help me with my gourami dilemma.I have 3 - 2 male dwarf neons and 1 pearl gourami.They are currently living with 3 guppies /5 neons/2 mollys/1 betta female.

Only problem is at food time the 2 dwarf neon gourami hide under the filter in the chaos of frienzed eating .They wont leave the hiding spot untill every thing has calmed down and I rarely see them eat at all.

My previous gourami did some thing similar and died afte 3-4 weeks .Im worried this will happen again.

Also have noted all gourami spend a lot of the time at the surface of the water air gulping . Is this normal??

Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 Feb 2008 22:12 #2 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Replied by KenS (Ken Simpson) on topic Re:shy gourami
Hi,

Sounds like you may have an agression problem. Have you noticed them being bullied by any other fish? If not, do they look healthy?

Male gouramis are territorial, but are usually agressive agressive to each other. It's odd that they're both acting this way.

There is also an iridovirus that effects dwarf gouramis (colisa lalia). It's nearly almost fatal and impossilbe to cure. Just check and make sure they look ok. Not eating is generally a first sign of illness.

Regards,

Ken.

More
13 Feb 2008 22:22 #3 by dclifford (Derek Clifford)
What is their behaviour like at other times? Have you notice 1 particular gourami chase the others?
I had to split up 3 dwarf gouramis. There was a definite pecking order and the bottom fish would often hide at feeding time. The bottom gourami was taken away and put in a tank with no other gouramis. It colored up perfectly and fed as normal after a couple of weeks. The remaining 2 have enough space now, but still the occasional chase.

More
13 Feb 2008 22:27 #4 by waterdragon (claire feely)
Have been watching for bullying and although one gourami can occasionally chase the other , all other fish ignore them at feeding time. Both look healthy ... (there is that air gulping I mentioned)
What about food that sinks to the bottem to give them a chance???

More
13 Feb 2008 22:38 #5 by dclifford (Derek Clifford)
Gourami are part of the labyrinth fish family. Which means they are air breeders, this air gulping could be normal.
Are the other fish gulping for air?

More
14 Feb 2008 17:42 #6 by neki (neki)
Replied by neki (neki) on topic Re:shy gourami
Hi waterdragon!

I have experienced the same problem as yours. At the beginning I had one Dwarf male and he was fine no problems at all but when I got 2 other Dwarf males then the problem started.

They divided the tank in 3 areas and if anyone entered in the neighbours area they would fight until he was out of his territory.

One of the started to be shy and hiding all the day. I never saw him coming out of his little territory then he got sick ( it seemed to me like Holes in the head disease but I'm not sure it was the first time for me to have a sick fish ).

Then another dwarf died for unknown reasons no disease.

The last one got the same disease as the first one and I got him out of the tank.

In my opinion I would advise you to get 2 of them out of the tank and just keep one of them.

If you keep one of then try to get a female.

I know they are nice fishs but sometimes you have to give up something:(

Hope my experience will help you:)

Neki

More
14 Feb 2008 23:13 #7 by waterdragon (claire feely)
Thanks for all your advise

I have only noticed the air gulping by the gourami so I suspected this was part of there nature.

Neki, sounds alot like your experience and come to think of it both male tend to be at opposite ends of the tank.

Certainly wont get more than 1 male if this one dies.

waterdragon

Time to create page: 0.044 seconds