Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Problems with Tiger Barbs.

More
15 Feb 2008 20:13 #1 by neki (neki)
Hi everyone:)

I have 6 tiger barbs and I'm having some problems with them.

A week ago I changed my substrate from gravel to sand and since then they are hiding in the plants most of the time.It's a week now and I'm starting to get worried.
I've checked the water parameters and evrything is fine. With the gravel substrate they have never been hiding.

Do you think this is normal? Do I have to change again the substate again to gravel?

Thanks!!!

Neki:cheer:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 Feb 2008 20:21 #2 by Cardnim (Andrew Hanley)
a real long shot here, but is the sand very bright. If so, the lights may be too bright for them and are spooking them into hiding.

If you can, try turning half your lights off, or partially covering them, just to see if that helps.

Good luck, and please let us know if you get it sorted.

Im due to setup a tiger barb biotrope in about a month and would value your advise. :)

Cheers.

More
15 Feb 2008 20:29 #3 by neki (neki)
The sand is normal playsand from woodies and is bright colour.
They come out once a day sor few minutes and go back to the plants.

I would advice you to get the barbs, they are really nice fishs to have:)

Thanks!

Neki

More
15 Feb 2008 23:46 #4 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton)
I do find with my barbs that they do tend to hide in anything when the lights are on. Look at their behaviour during the light out period. Mine will swim in all areas of the tank during this period.

Try putting in a good rock shelter, stack rocks so that you have a good cave effect so the barbs can go in there and relax. That is if its the lights that are affecting them.

More
22 Feb 2008 13:34 #5 by Maggie (Maggie Jardine)
I have 10 TB and GTB's in a heavily planted tank and they do hide off and on during the day..pea gravel and normal Sunglo lighting installed. I do find they are more active at night when the sitting room light is subdued compared to ordnary daylight. I turn the light off for a few hours during the day and they do their chasing at this time. Incidentally I love em and intend to have them as long as I keep fish..they are inquisitive when I look in the tank as well as very handsome so i get a lot of pleasure from them.

More
22 Feb 2008 17:45 #6 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Tiger barbs are not particularly shy fish and if there has been a noticeable difference to the amount of time they are hiding since you put in the sand, there must be a link. It is unlikely that the playsand has introduced anything into the water but it is possible. Are any other fish acting any differently? Wen you changed the substrate did you do anything else, clean filter etc etc? The lighter sand may have made them a bit more nervous but I would have expected that would have passed a say or so after you finished messing around in the tank, how do they act when the light is reduced or turned off?

More
22 Feb 2008 21:54 #7 by suckers (matt lait)
i know this is not related with tiger barbs but i have both floresent (tpyo) and blue 2/white 1 LED lighting in one of my tanks and i find most of my fish are most active when the LEDs are on ie the light is not as bright. hope this helps a bit
matt

More
23 Feb 2008 11:36 #8 by neki (neki)
HI!

I changed the substrate again to gravel in a week time now and the fishs are starting to come out more often but before this story with the sand started they were never hiding. The TB are in the tank together with 2 Swordtails and never had problems with them.

When I removed the sand I trid to remove every bit of sand but as you all know this is impossible. I tested the water and everything is normal.

Thanks everybody:cheer:

neki.

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds