Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Silver Arowana

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Didihno (Didihno)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Feb 2008 08:54 #1 by Didihno (Didihno)
Silver Arowana was created by Didihno (Didihno)
Bought one of these incredible creatures yesterday.
He wasn't well looking in the shop but I decided to take a punt on it (under guarantee!).
He seems to have settled in but sometimes still swims in a jerky manner, like he's having an epileptic fit, then it passes and he swims off.
I really hope he makes it, he is only fantastic looking.
A real dinosaur of a species.

Has anyone ever kept one, and what is the best thing to feed?
The fish is about 4\" long.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2008 11:08 #2 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
Hey Didihno,

They are indeed fantastic fish, however I believe that you broke one of the major commandments about keeping fish. Which is never buy a sick fish or even a sick looking fish in the hopes that you can nurse it back to health. I wish you the best with this fish and I hope that it starts behaving normally. Keep us updated on its progress and maybe you should start a Journal for the 6 x 6 foot tank you will inevitable need to house this sucker in about 2 years time. At the last ITFS meeting Derek Doyle gave a slid show of an acquaintances fish house in which he had a full grown silver arowana in a 6 x 6 foot tank. As far as I could remember the fish was on its own in the tank due to aggression problems and its sheer size. It was very impressive fish and made for one hell of a display.

Lead me not into temptation, For I can find it myself!

More
18 Feb 2008 11:19 #3 by Acara (Dave Walters)
Yes,stunning fish.Somewhat controversial at times whether they should be kept.Personally,I think if you have a tank of the right size,no problem at all.
Remember to keep it WELL covered,in the wild they jump to take food from overhanging foliage.

Dave

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Feb 2008 13:04 #4 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re:Silver Arowana
Right now its in a Jewel Vision 180l.
I do not intend to keep it much larger than 12\" (not in that tank either)
When it gets too big I'm sure I'll be posting it up for sale.

More
18 Feb 2008 13:10 #5 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
A Vision 180?????

If I didn't know ya Didi i'd be writing a big rant and giving you an unmerciful bollocking.

I'll spare ya this time :laugh: Good luck with it. Seriously you are a crazy F**ker for the impulse buys.

Wait til your missus finds out that you need a 1000ltr tank in the sitting room :ohmy:

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Feb 2008 14:11 #6 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re:Silver Arowana
I know i know, sorry ma!

I did say its only 4\" at the moment, When it gets bigger I'll move it.
And when it gets bigger again, I'll be shipping it out!

Now does anyone have any experience to share?
Someone must have kept this beastie out there in fishy land?

More
18 Feb 2008 22:28 #7 by paulbohs (Paul Doyle)
A 6' x 6' tank. Do Arowana grow to 3' long? I don't agree with keeping a fish in a tank any smaller than 6 times the lenght of the fish and wide enough for easy turning.

Sounds like a project: dig through your sitting room floor a hole the same dimensions as your sitting room. Waterproof the hole and install a glass floor above your new fish tank. Dont forget the plumbing and my invite to see the 18' x 12' x 8' aquarium.

More
19 Feb 2008 11:40 #8 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
Didihno wrote:

Now does anyone have any experience to share?
Someone must have kept this beastie out there in fishy land?

I don't have any experience in keeping this species but here is a little more info about the fish and related species.

Silver arowana on wiki

It says that they typically grow to 3-4 feet! That's one large fish finger!

Lead me not into temptation, For I can find it myself!

More
19 Feb 2008 17:29 - 19 Feb 2008 17:33 #9 by chris (chris)
Replied by chris (chris) on topic Re:Silver Arowana
Kept 2 red Arowana for 2 years. They were ~50cm. Very intelligent fish but not easy to keep.
They are jumpers. One of my Arowana jumped out of the tank at night. He managed to hit the lid (Juwel tank) and made a suicide. It was such a trauma for me that I had to sell another fish after that.
Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Feb 2008 17:33 by chris (chris).

More
19 Feb 2008 18:34 #10 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
Kept one before from the size of yours to a nine incher, magnificent fish full of characther, but watch out for tank mates as it gets bigger. mine consumed a six inch albino ruby shark within ten minutes of it being introduced into the tank and this was when it was only six inches itself. feed it high protent food as it is mainly carniverous (some feed them feeder fish, a practice i'm not in favour of unless it is genetically malformed fry)and make sure your tank lid is well and truely secure you wont believe how strong these fish are.. ps have a towel handy at feeding time mine used get over excited and splash so much you'd swear i was the fish..before you ask what happened it a flowerhorn was introduced and being the vicious buggers they are killed it within 24 hours... i now hate flowerhorns:angry:

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
19 Feb 2008 19:00 #11 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Didihno wrote:

I do not intend to keep it much larger than 12\" (not in that tank either)
When it gets too big I'm sure I'll be posting it up for sale.

Famous last words :-)

I said the same when I bought a four inch girraffe cat a year ago. I just could not resist, but I had a job getting it a suitable new home when it was 20\" a year later. Thankfully someone on here found it a great home in a suitably large tank, I was lucky.

Good luck with it, unfortunately I have no experience keeping them that I can pass on.

Time to create page: 0.053 seconds