Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

New Tank... What Stock?

More
19 Feb 2008 14:34 #1 by cill (Cill O'Neill)
Ok I'm considering getting a Juwel Rio 180 or 240 in the next few weeks and am trying to decide on stock.
I'm definitely including a Black Ghost Knife Fish. These are definitely my favorite fish and will most likely include two. I know people say that you cant keep these with smaller fish but at the moment I have two in with several guppies, neon tetras and mollys in my girlfriends tank.
When I only had one I lost several tetras and noticed some of the guppys seemed pretty nervous. However since I've added the second one I haven't lost a single fish and all my smaller fish seem a lot less stressed out.
I most likely be putting any of these smaller fish in with them in the new tank though.
Would a male Betta get along ok with these?
So what would you consider to be the most suitable tankmates for a BGKF??

Cheers

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2008 15:22 #2 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
Are you the person from boards.ie?? Maybe not.

Black Ghsost Knifefish will grow fairly large and two would probably be out of the question in a smallish tank.

As for tankmates, i'd go for large fish, possibly big Gouramis, Peaceful Cichlids, Large Barbs.....

Anthony here keeps his with large African Cichlids.

Tetras and small guppys will eventually become expensive food. These fellas need a good hiding place too but I agree that they are beautiful fish.

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

More
19 Feb 2008 15:56 #3 by cill (Cill O'Neill)
Hey sorry in meant to say I WONT be putting any tetras or Guppys in with them.
I was considering putting them in with some Cichlids but I reckon I'll wait till the BGKF get a bit bigger before I add any Cichlids so if it comes to it they wont get bothered by the Cichlids.
Also how big of a tank? Would a Rio 240 be too small for two? Or even one?
And what about including a male Betta instead of the Cichlids?

Cheers

More
19 Feb 2008 17:18 #4 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
They are known \"tankbusters\" in the hobby so they would soon outgrow the 240ltr tank. Remember that they are predatory and they will limit you in what fish you can buy.

I personally wouldn't go near them unless I had a 400ltr+ tank for them.

As for the male betta, you could try it out but I honestly don't know how compatible they would be.

More
21 Feb 2008 14:15 #5 by cill (Cill O'Neill)
Ok well say then Im not going to go with the BGKF.
What fish would be compatible with a male Betta?
I wanted to include a Figure 8 puffer but Im thinking one would get down to munching on the Betta's tail straight away...
I'm not 100% set on having a Betta really as they can really limit what other stock I can keep. So Im either thinking the Betta or the Puffer.
Ideas?

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Feb 2008 14:40 #6 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:New Tank... What Stock?
Hi cill,

I am glad you have decided against the BGKF. It would really have reduced your options as far as what else to keep in the tank.

With a siamese fighter (betta), most of the community type fish would be suitable. However, I would not recommend Gouramis though - they are related as far as their breathing apparatus is concerned (anabantoids) - as they are pretty nasty fishies ...
Also beware, tetras also tend to be fin nippers.

I am sure so other people will come in with more ideas for you.

Valerie

More
21 Feb 2008 18:04 #7 by Deeco (Deeco)
cil

Male betta look great but invariablly don't last to long they also require extreme high quality water

i would steer clear of the betta's that would be my advice

maybe ciclids (angels)

You know yourself

More
21 Feb 2008 22:42 #8 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
Hi done a little research for you and i hope this helps, all these will be compatable in regards to your water quality, temperment and likelyhood to like a peaceful co-existance with your ghost knives

Angels: Angelfish- any color or variety, best kept in groups of 3 or more of similar size.

Barbs: Cherry Barb

Catfish: Banjo Catfish, Corydoras Catfish, Small Plecostomus Catfish, Farlowella Catfish, Porthole Catfish, Rafles Catfish, Upside Down Catfish, Synodontis Catfish

Cichlids: Jurapari Cichlid, Keyhole Cichlid, Kribensis Cichlid

Danios: Giant Danio, Gold Danio, Leopard Danio, Pearl Danio, Zebra Danio

Eels: Fire Eel, Spiny Eel, Tire Track Eel

Glass Fish: Painted Glass Fish

Gouramis: Blue Gouramis, Chocolate Gouramis, Croaking Gouramis, Gold Gouramis, Moonlight Gouramis, Pearl Gouramis, Platinum Gouramis, Sunset Dwarf Gouramis

Knifefish: African Knifefish, Black Ghost Knifefish, Transparent Knifefish

Loach: Small Clown Loach, Kuhlii Loach, Yoyo Loach, Dojo Loach, Weather Loach

Livebearers: Variatus, Moons, Swordtails, Mollies

Rainbowfish: Celebes Rainbowfish

Rasboras: Harlequin Rasbora, Red Lined Rasbora

Sharks: Irridescent Shark, Red Tail Shark, Red Rainbow Shark, Tri Color Shark

Tetras: Black Tetra, Bleeding Heart Tetra, Congo Tetra, Emperor Tetra,
Other Fish: Butterfly fish, Datanoid, Hemiodus, Elephant Nose, Prochilodus

Non-Fish: African Frog, Snail

big list, plenty of choice so enjoy, but dont let your other half see the final bill:laugh:

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
22 Feb 2008 12:05 #9 by cill (Cill O'Neill)
Wow thanks man.
Really,, Cheers

More
22 Feb 2008 12:11 #10 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
sheag35 wrote:

Glass Fish: Painted Glass Fish

Please don't buy any dyed fish!!!!!

More
22 Feb 2008 12:15 #11 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
+1 don't buy dyed fish

Time to create page: 0.052 seconds