Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Pregnant Mickey Mouse Platy

More
23 Feb 2008 14:34 - 23 Feb 2008 14:35 #1 by StormCaseDotie (Andre Devereux)
Hi Fellow Fishkeepers,

Our fish is pregnant, so we got her a maternity tank :woohoo:

I have two clear plastic bubble filters behind the rock on the left, they are clear plastic boxes with polyfilter media the air gets pumped down clear tubes and then up through another pipe this causes water to be drawn down through the filter. they are weighted by gravel in the bottoms. There is a conventional fluval filter on the right set to a trickle bar still good flow of water around the tank I tested it with tiny pieces of filter.

The rocks will give hiding places for the fry and we will keep a close watch on her, to make sure to remove before she eats them. A nice cave under the central rock, another cave in the middle back rock and to the right of the right big holey rock. Stone rock background images on sides and back. Shells and pebbles on the base.

I'd appreciate any advice on raising platy fry, as she look like she'll give birth any time now!

Best regards,

Andre
Attachments:
Last edit: 23 Feb 2008 14:35 by StormCaseDotie (Andre Devereux).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
23 Feb 2008 14:37 #2 by StormCaseDotie (Andre Devereux)
Oh yes I adjusted the Ph from constant 7.6 reading down to 7.4 (Platys favourite?) with API Ph down additive.
;)

More
23 Feb 2008 23:27 #3 by paulbohs (Paul Doyle)
They are very easy to raise. They will need to be fed liquifry number 2 or frozen baby brine shrimp for the first week. I'd recommend frozen baby brine shrimp as they grow faster. If there are only platties in your main tank tou can reintroduce them at 2 weeks. Introduce one first just in case. Congrats on the fry. Tank looks great, rocks are great hiding. A few swim to the surface though, if you can get a floating plant, that would save them. Keep us updated with how many fry are born and survive the mother.

More
24 Feb 2008 20:00 #4 by sceilg (Craig Higgins)
That platy is huge- and soon to pop. I had a female varitarus platy but she didnt get that big. I would add a few floating plants(plastic will do). It is best not to reintroduce her to the male straight after pregnancy as she is already stressed and the the other fish(especially males) will harass her possibly to death. If you do not want to leave her with the fry for a while, or you have no where else to put her, you could place her in a net breeder for a few days to a week in your main tank with some good food to let her regain her strength.
Make sure you add a cup or two of water into the net breeder each day as the net may act as a filter and the water quality may deteriorate inside.
I have fed newborn guppies crushed flake and crushed freeze dried bloodworms-but it needs to be crushed into a very fine powder.
A few of the fry may be stillborn and some may die off-but it's normal.
Fry are always very exciting. Good luck. :)

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds