Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

disgraceful

More
09 Nov 2006 10:59 #1 by steven (steven)
disgraceful was created by steven (steven)
just back from a certain garden centre i think we all know where pretty impressive display of tanks and variety of tropical and cold water fish. On closer inspection the amount of dead fish floating around was a disgrace in 1 tank i counted no less than 11 dead fish floating around and every tank bar 1 or 2 and i mean 1 or 2 of about 30 tanks there was dead fish in every one of them. Also fish swimming sidewards upside down tails hanging off whitespot and eye fungus as a avid fish keeper i am in shock at what i saw and is there nothing you can do to these people this is just a buisness to us it is our hobby and care for the fish don't know what else to say other than i am disgusted and gutted.................. :cry: :cry:

Treat every day like your last, some day it will be??

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2006 12:16 #2 by essjay (S Jackson)
Replied by essjay (S Jackson) on topic Re: disgraceful

just back from a certain garden centre i think we all know where

Absolutly no idea...... Only place I can think of is in the South East of the country.

More
09 Nov 2006 19:23 #3 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
HI STEVEN
THE PROBLEM IS THAT THERE ARE NO LICENSING LAWS IN IRELAND AT THE MOMENT, SAD THING IS THAT IT IS NOT ONLY FISH BUT ALL LIVESTOCK! ANYONE CAN OPEN A PETSHOP WITH NO EXPERIENCE IN KEEPING PETS!!!!! HOW??? WHY??? THIS MUST SURELY STOP!!! WE NEED LAWS AND LICENSES TO STOP THIS! OK, ALL SHOPS ARE GOING TO HAVE DEATHS, WE DO, BUT IT IS DOWN TO THE QUALITY OF STOCK SUPPLIED BY THERE WHOLESALER AND HUSBANDRY OF STAFF THAT SHOULD KEEP IT TO A MINIMUM! I COULD RANT AND RAVE ON THIS TOPIC ALL DAY, AS IT REALLY P$%SES ME OFF, BUT I WONT!!!!!!!!!!!!

More
10 Nov 2006 03:53 #4 by zebadee (zebadee)
Replied by zebadee (zebadee) on topic Re: disgraceful
Glad to hear that someone else thinks that it is poor. I went to the garden centre following a read of the yellow pages for LFS'. I was disgusted with what I saw. I watched some pillock behind the counter give a family a gold fish bowl, gravel, food and 2 Crabro (bumblebee cichlids) with no mention of filters, heaters, dechlorinator etc. I was outraged and tackled the individual who said that as long as the fish were kept in a warm room they would be ok. I turned on my heel and left.

It's an outrage that they are allowed to continue selling fish.

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Nov 2006 14:31 #5 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re: disgraceful
Is anyone going to name the bloody shop?

More
10 Nov 2006 18:24 #6 by steven (steven)
Replied by steven (steven) on topic Re: disgraceful
Thanks guys for making the time to reply i thought i was just me going ott but as drew says it really pi@@es me off to see them get away with this it is cruelty to pets in some shape or form and anthony it would be interesting to here what the dspca have to say on the issue to the person who wants the shop named i dont know where we stand legally if we name it after all this is a great website only one of its kind in the country and we dont want it shut down keep the good work up guys and Drew its nice to see all your comments in differrent forums we have ourselves a tropical fish a-z with your input which is fantastic love the aquatic village its unique. Tell Ian to keep the good work up you never know he might get that 07 Porsche yet :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Nov 2006 19:10 #7 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: disgraceful
If anyone names the shop you will be barred.

Only joking. Somebody pm Didhino the name as I cannot. :lol:

I will make inquires on monday as to where the law stands. The D.S.P.C.A is not great IMO. I rang them one day about a dog locked in a car outside Mc Donalds and it was scortching out.
They said it was not that warm out. I told them I would smash the window
if they did not arrive pronto. I don`t know what happened.
Another time I found a Sparrow hawk and they practically blamed me for hitting it with my car. I had to meet them somewhere and give them the bird.

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Nov 2006 08:10 #8 by Didihno (Didihno)
Thanks for the info and the useful warning about naming dodgy shops.
I think most people know about a certain shop in ********which has always (historically) been shoddily run though I think they are trying to improve.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Nov 2006 11:01 #9 by Anthony (Anthony)
They always had run of the mill fish. Hopefully it will change because it is under new management.

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Nov 2006 18:36 #10 by Didihno (Didihno)

They always had run of the mill fish. Hopefully it will change because it is under new management.

That may be true but when I was there recently I asked the senior guy to open up the fish room and you'd swear I'd asked him for both his kidneys.

As for his assistant, he was like Kevin the teenager off Harry Enfield.
I have to do everything.
I hate you.
I didn't ask to work in a pet shop!

More
13 Nov 2006 02:40 #11 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
******, true they aren't the greatest but sometimes they can surprise you with a few nice fish.

I know the bloke you are talking about, Didi. He looks like a rubberhead!!!

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Nov 2006 07:31 #12 by Anthony (Anthony)
Apparently it is going to change as they are building a fishroom.

Ps. don`t mention the name of the shop again please, I will have to mederate your post now.
Giving me work to do. :lol:

More
16 Nov 2006 08:26 #13 by Gerard_Evans (Gerard Evans)
Hi all. i have read the comments regarding stevens comments and serratus, i would agree with some but have issues with others.

As all petshops and aquatic centres in Ireland have improved, over the years but there is still room for more improvement. i do not think this forum should be a way for individuals to knock other lfs as a lot of the comments are coming from people in the trade.

I myself am in the trade and even though i do have a good bit of knowledge i am no expert but learning ever day. Please make this forum a place for sharing knowledge and not for knocking your lfs. I f there are problems in a shop please bring it to the attention of the staff and if not the management.

Hopefully things will change but there is a vast improvement in standards since i started keeping fish many many years ago.in regards to the place mentioned the person who is there now needs time to get things right and if given time he will change things for the better.

More
16 Nov 2006 17:32 #14 by steven (steven)
Replied by steven (steven) on topic Re: disgraceful
Well said Gerard you are dead right in what you say and like you we all learn more everyday and hope your buisness is thriving and successful the only thing i would say is that in some of these pet shops when you raise these issues with the staff they look like you as if you had 40 heads these guys don't give a damn what goes on as long as the till keeps ringing what we are trying to say is that some sort of protection should be put in place....thanks for the reply and wish you every success with your buisness at least we know that some lfs do care :) :)

More
16 Nov 2006 21:12 #15 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
hi steven
thanks for the comments, its really great to see a customer comment on the store. we spend alot of time ( and ians money) trying to keep all running well, but as gerry says there is room for improvement in all outlets! i have kept fish for over 20 years in ireland, and in the last 5 aquatics has mushroomed!! its great to see, long may it continue, the "bar" is continually rising!! which can only be good for the consumer!

More
17 Nov 2006 07:03 #16 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
Replied by Sean (Fr. Jack) on topic Re: disgraceful
I dont agree this should be in a forum, why cannot people email the owners directly as it would be more likelly drawn to their attention, there is no need to talk behind someone back, if you do not like a fish shop you can vote with you feet, there is no point dropping hints more or less saying where a shop is.

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds