Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Hillstream tank

More
24 Feb 2008 23:31 #1 by Acara (Dave Walters)
I'm toying with the idea of a hillstream tank,would love to have it true to biotope,but with minimal research so far,realise that the species I am thinking of at this stage come from various parts of Asia.
Has anybody here set one up?What size tank(thinking a 3 or 4ft)?What species?I'm thinking of garra flavatra,sewellia lineata,etc,and something up above,white clouds,or some sort of minnow or danio.Maybe red chrystal shrimps also?I'm picturing rounded grey river rocks and a hell of a powerful waterflow with lots of aeration.
I will research more when I get time time,just wondering if anybody had any experience or ideas here.

Cheers
Dave

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
24 Feb 2008 23:46 #2 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Sounds great, I have a \"hillstream\" tank, but not a faithful biotope. It has Sewelia lineata, Gastromyzon ctenocephalus, common BN's and as of tonight, thanx to your suggestion some red crystal shrimp. Oh and there are a pair of pepered corys in there too. I hope the water is not too strong for the shrimp!

I would be interested in getting a surface fish, so I will keep an eye on here for any suggestions.

More
24 Feb 2008 23:49 #3 by Avonmore (Pat Cullen)
What kind of pump are you going to use to give you the current you need?

Pat

More
24 Feb 2008 23:53 - 24 Feb 2008 23:56 #4 by Acara (Dave Walters)
I noticed in AV today that most of the red crystal shrimp were on a piece of bogwood that was under the filter outlet and was quite turbulent and aerated,so that gave me that idea.I havn't as yet looked them up online.
There seems to untold loaches,danios,minnows,etc,(remember BAS!)its a matter of what is available here,but our LFS are pretty good at getting what we want if we ask.

Dave

Was typing as avonmore answered.I havn't as yet decided.It will depend on tank size.But maybe a Tetratec ex700 external,and a fluval 4+ internal?Ideally using venturi on the filters would be good,to save running an airpump as well?I thought running filters would be better than running just a powerhead?All suggestions welcome.

Last edit: 24 Feb 2008 23:56 by Acara (Dave Walters).

More
25 Feb 2008 00:04 #5 by Avonmore (Pat Cullen)
I'm thinking of going down the same raod but may be too ambitious for my first tank. I found this artical and it may be of use to you. What ya think?

www.loaches.com/articles/river-tank-manifold-design

Pat

More
25 Feb 2008 00:11 #6 by Acara (Dave Walters)
Yeah,have seen similar setups for plecs,etc.It would certainly work,and probably be a bit cheaper setting up than buying filters.

cheers
Dave

More
25 Feb 2008 00:23 #7 by Avonmore (Pat Cullen)
Acara wrote:

I havn't as yet decided.It will depend on tank size.But maybe a Tetratec ex700 external,and a fluval 4+ internal?Ideally using venturi on the filters would be good,to save running an airpump as well?I thought running filters would be better than running just a powerhead?All suggestions welcome.

Dave, What sort of filter set up would you use with the manifold set up on a 4foot tank?

Pat

More
25 Feb 2008 19:23 #8 by Acara (Dave Walters)
I havn't really looked at the technical side of things yet Pat,was just getting excited about all the species that would be suitable for such a tank.I will look further into it and see what I can come up with.

Dave

More
26 Feb 2008 01:05 #9 by Avonmore (Pat Cullen)
Let us know what you decide on, would be interested in setting up something similar

Pat

More
05 Mar 2008 22:57 #10 by Acara (Dave Walters)
I have just added an Interpet PF3 internal filter to a 3ft tank of about 100ltrs.I must say,I am extremely impressed with the filter media capacity,when compared to the existing Tetratec IN800 already in the tank.Both filters are rated/cost the same,but the Interpet seems too strong for the tank,whereas the Tetra clogs and slows very quickly.The PF3 also has a very powerful venturi,the IN800 claims to have one,but I never saw it work.
I would think this filter would be near enough for a hillstream tank,maybe use the next model up,the PF4(ratings,PF3 800ltr/hr,PF4 1000ltr/hr),cost 60e and 70e respectively,so to be honest,for a 3 or 4ft tank I would see no point in going into any DIY or the like,just bung in a good filter and maybe a powerhead.We will see when this filter clogs up a bit with use,obviously its only new,so will flow better.
Hope the corys and acaras will be half as happy as the yellow tail congo tetras are with their new current.
I had a look at a very nice hillstrem tank last night,it used the Juwel filter and a powerhead,they did the trick well,and there were some lovely fish in the tank,as there are in the many other tanks in the room.

Dave

More
08 Mar 2008 23:37 #11 by Avonmore (Pat Cullen)
Any up-dates on your hillstream set up?

Pat

More
08 Mar 2008 23:50 #12 by Acara (Dave Walters)
Fraid its all still in the head.Hope to start on it in May,need to get the shed done first.

Dave

More
08 Mar 2008 23:58 #13 by Avonmore (Pat Cullen)
I got an external filter yesterday of drew and the spray bar seems to be putting a lot of current in the tank, do ya think it would be enough?

Pat

More
09 Mar 2008 00:09 #14 by Acara (Dave Walters)
If its from AV,I'm presuming its a Tetratec.What size tank is it?I have a Tetratec 1200 on a 180ltr tank,theres not a great amount of current from the spray bar in that,but I guess its how you set it up/position it,etc.

More
09 Mar 2008 23:05 #15 by Avonmore (Pat Cullen)
Its a tetratec 700 on a 240L tank. More current required so.

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds