Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Paradise fish

More
03 Apr 2008 20:37 #1 by oog1111 (Orlagh O Grady)
Hi there,
thinking of taking on 2 paradise fish(males I think). they are young, only about 4-5cm in body length. They are timid for paradise fish(much better behaved than dwarf gourami), or is this just because they are young?
They are blueish with red stripes, but don't have the flowing lyre-type tails I have seen on males on the internet...Is this also just because they are young? If given the right food will they grow into the colourful ones, like on the internet?

Any info on these fish welcome!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
03 Apr 2008 20:49 #2 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
If they are so young its going to be tough to sex them!!! We have adults in stock at the moment, stunning fish when coloured up. If they are two males they will most likely fight!
Female dont get as big as males and have shorter flowing fins. When they mature they will get the lyretails.
Be careful what you put with them, they can be nasty!!!

More
03 Apr 2008 21:16 #3 by oog1111 (Orlagh O Grady)
are they better kept as a male, female couple,ie. less agressive? or just male on his own?
where is 'we'?

Friend has them in her tank at mo, with neons and others of similar size with no probs...she has two dwarf gourami(Males) that are always fighting and very territorial, in comparison paradise are much quieter...is this becuase they're young or possibly male and female? or mayb because dwarfs bully them a bit?????

More
03 Apr 2008 21:26 #4 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Id say theyre peaceful cause theyre young!!!
Best kept in pairs, depends on size of tank!!!
Adults will eat neons!!
Im up in Aquatic Village if your in the area of Brittas (above Tallaght, N81) call in n ill show you our adults!!!

More
03 Apr 2008 21:36 #5 by oog1111 (Orlagh O Grady)
suitable with tiger barbs? always wanted them too, gonna have spare tank soon...but it only about 50litres...so might be too cramped for two...?

More
03 Apr 2008 21:56 #6 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Small tigers may be ok, but as they get bigger may nip at the lyretail of the paradisefish!!!!
50L is small, two should be ok if they were a pair!!

More
04 Apr 2008 00:17 #7 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
Howdy, I kept two male paradise fish together in a 90l tank when I first started out fish keeping. Initially they used to beat two shades of Sh!t out of each other but then once the dominance was sorted out things settled down. However, everything else in the tank was fair game! I kept them in a cold water setup and this definitely took the pep out of their step in terms of activity as they would become far more aggressive in the summer months as the tank warmed up. They ate the eyes out of a black moor, pulled the scales off my ranchu, terrorised the white cloud mountain minnows, poked at my weather loach, ate some of the rice fish darren gave me (sorry darren) and ignored the hill stream loach. In my personally opinion these are a species to be kept on their own. I can only imagine the hassel that would be incurred by other fish in a tank if a pair of these lucifer's, bubble nested in a community setup.

However, if you want to keep these little gems of fish with other species, choose species that look nothing like them and you should be OK. They are by far and away one of my favourite fish and are the only fish that I have kept that I can say, have a sort of personality. A very angry personality!

They are one of the few species that will eat from your hand

Regards

Denis

Lead me not into temptation, For I can find it myself!

More
04 Apr 2008 09:19 #8 by oog1111 (Orlagh O Grady)
Yes forgot why I don't have tiger barbs!any suggestions for possible companions?catfish?

More
07 Apr 2008 21:36 #9 by oog1111 (Orlagh O Grady)
hey all,

Got my paradise fish sat evening. They are currently in my big community tank and seem not to be causing any troubles. They are fab little fish, so playful and love their food. gourami's have them well under control. They will be moving next week or the week after when I get their new home planted and full of places for catfish( or whatever will be with them) to hide.

Thanks again for the info!

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds