Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

how to catch a fish

More
04 Apr 2008 20:33 #1 by suckers (matt lait)
errrrrrr i NEED to catch 2 zebra loachs from my planted tank, any ideas on how/the easy way to do it with out pulling the tank apart.
live plants, hiding caves(for pleco) and 3d background are all in the way!!
PLEASE help. cory are about to breed again!
matt

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2008 20:36 #2 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Hi Matt,

Unfortunately there isn't any easy way. I have an African tank and the only way to get holding females out is to remove the decor. I use a sheet of flexible perspex to divide the tank so I only have to remove the decor at one end.

There are fish traps you can make or buy, but they are not great. You basically bait them with food in the hope that the fish you want goes into them. I made one up out of a 2 litre water bottle and managed to get every fish bar the one I wanted.

Regards,

Ken.

More
04 Apr 2008 20:43 #3 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
Probably easiest to catch them by doing a large water change so there is less space for them to escape?

More
04 Apr 2008 20:47 #4 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Little trick... put in piece of plastic pipe (non toxic), loaches love to hide, cover one end and lift out, you can then \"pour\" them into the bag, loaches will get caught in nets (spines under their eyes), use this alot in work!!!
PS never chase a fish with a net, go slow and use stealth instead of speed!!!

More
04 Apr 2008 20:56 #5 by suckers (matt lait)
cheers all very speedy response from you all as well. il think ill try the pipe thinggy first . then wait till it rains and do a 50%waterchange (33%rainwater 33%RO water 33% tap water seems to work well for me).

i pose there is no plants in youe tank is there ken? if so how do you cope with that?

More
05 Apr 2008 17:13 #6 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
No, no plants in my Malawi tank. The only time I need to take fish out of my community tank is when they die which is tankfully very seldom.

I did take a few out for last years show. I just took all the decoration out bar the plants. The plants took a bit of a battering, but quickly recovered.

Regards,

Ken.

More
06 Apr 2008 02:13 #7 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
another little hint i use is an empty pint glass and slowly herd them into it they don't notice its there till its too late:P

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
06 Apr 2008 08:53 #8 by suckers (matt lait)
is that b4 or after you have had the beer sheag.
thinking about it it must be b4 to keep the eyes focused properly.
trying the tube idea but.......... every fish in there like your bottle trap ken except the loach ( 8 inch plec even tried to get stuck in there!)
matt

More
06 Apr 2008 18:39 #9 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
Chop up a 2lrs Coke bottle and lace it with food, similar to Drews pipe, catces loaches in minutes. Never fails

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

More
06 Apr 2008 21:39 #10 by suckers (matt lait)
thanks peter but do you have a diagram so i can see what you mean. nuffin is happening at thr mo i cant catch these 2 loaches and muma's getting plump!!!
i really dont want to have to go moving plants and decor but if needs must......... ill be calling on the nearest to me to help.......... waterford/cork!!!! any offers? tea and bickies included!
matt

More
06 Apr 2008 21:52 #11 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
Would you have room to use a bigger net?

More
06 Apr 2008 23:20 #12 by suckers (matt lait)
not really LimerickBandit 200 ltr tank and planted both ends with bog wood in middle and to the right. i think its gonna be a massive water change to reduce the water and remove all but the plants. 3d backgrounds look good but...... to catch a fish!!! *&^%$£ get it!!
matt

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds