Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Silly Question....Maybe

More
28 Apr 2008 21:26 #1 by Avonmore (Pat Cullen)
Here one for ya.. Tank been set up since xmas. Started off with some goldfish which are now living in a smaller tank whick I got from Matt (suckers) as a quarntine tank (60L)and now have the following fish (thanks to Matt's freebee's)
2 Golden Algea Eaters
2 Guppys
3 Penguin Tetras
4 Neons
7 Copper Tetras
2 Pepper Corys

Problem is now the wife wants to see something more exciting swimming about, as the tanks was kinda her xmas prezzy (NO SMART COMMENTS PLEASE) Not quite sure whats she means but I know she likes Angle's but I'm not mad about them. Any Ideas?

Tank is 240L

Pat

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2008 23:01 #2 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
Hi Pat,
Angels would not be my cup of tea either. and they are some times reguared as nippers of fins. so i would not really say they are suitable for guppies as company.

A trip to the libery or a good surf is called for one of the nice fish i seen lately was the clown killi but availability and suitability i don't know but :evil:an excuse for another tank maybe?:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Mickey

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
28 Apr 2008 23:34 #3 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
A nice pair of pearl gourami would go well. Or maybe some rainbow's.

@ micky. The clown killi (epiplatys annulatus) may not be suitable for this tank. You would need the top layer nearly dense with plants and even at that they may fight and nip the tetra's along with each other. Also they dont always except prepared foods.
Aphy. striatum or Aphy. gardneri gardneri would be much better choices for a community.

More
29 Apr 2008 03:55 #4 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
cheers platty252,
You just saved me a bit of surf time. beautiful fish do! of course you know you have set me off on another quest now.

rainbows????
Mickey

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
29 Apr 2008 18:11 #5 by goldy (goldy .)
if she likes angels and you dont really a good compromise is guaramis as platty suggested. they are lovely fish and will swim around the middle so she can see them. rainbows are also a good suggestion. I also have to say that dennisoni barbs or torpedo barbs are really colourful and lively too but I love them anyway. They will fit in with most other community fish and arent too fussy about temperature so quite versatile.

Good idea to get her that tank for christmas......:laugh:

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
29 Apr 2008 18:37 #6 by 2poc (2poc)
Replied by 2poc (2poc) on topic Re:Silly Question....Maybe
My suggestions would be

- Congo tetras
- A nice fancy pleco or two
- Can't go wrong with lots of cardinals or runny nose
- A nice male betta (I have kept them with tetras without problems)
- Dwarf gouramis are nice
- The red line torpedo barb is lovely but expensive
- Silver dollars - while not compatable with some of the smaller tetras they shoal together, grow fast & look excellent

Look forward to hearing what you go for.
There are lots of nice options for a community tank.

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
29 Apr 2008 18:56 - 29 Apr 2008 18:59 #7 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:Silly Question....Maybe
240l tank ... loads and loads of space for many small active community fish !...

The rule of thumb is 1 cm of fish per litre - that gives you a total of 240 cm of fish i.e. approx 50*5cm fish !...

While you don't want to add all these fish all at once to build up your bio-load progressively, there is plenty to choose from as suggested in the previous posts.

IME, I wouldn't mix a siamese fighter with dwarf gouramis. It wasn't a nice experience in my tank... Plus, the dwarf gouramis fatally ate one of my guppies' tail. That said, maybe I had unfriendly specimens ! :woohoo:

I'd personally continue down the route of tetras and livebearers (swordtails, plattys, guppies...) with a few bottom dwellers to do some cleaning up. I have a tank with a selection of these and there's always something happening in it!

I hope this helps.

Valerie

PS : By the way, questions are never silly !! :)
Last edit: 29 Apr 2008 18:59 by Valerie (Valerie).

More
29 Apr 2008 20:24 #8 by nomad (pat murphy)
Just my view but personaly regarding stocking levels of fish to a tank i would rather work that out using the surface area of the tank to fish ratio because of the better oxygen exchange rather than using the volume principle.
Normally its 1 inch of fish length to 12 sq inches of surface area allowing for the adult length the fish reaches so then an adult length 4in fish would need 48 inches of surface area.If the fish was broader then that would have to be taken into account and increased,stockier fish,more feeding,more waste.
Modern aeration and filtration increase the amount of fish we can keep in a tank but i,d rather err on the side of caution especially at those unexpected times when Mr ESB pulls the plug. :)

More
30 Apr 2008 21:52 #9 by Avonmore (Pat Cullen)
HI all, Thanks for all the replies, sorry for not getting back as I've been having problems with one of my Dogs and I seem to be spending more time at the vets than at home. I will take a views on board when things settle down.
Pat

Time to create page: 0.049 seconds