Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

medium fish or malawi/tanganyika cichlids

More
29 Apr 2008 12:24 #1 by oog1111 (Orlagh O Grady)
I've a 4ft tank, about 240-260litres.hard alkaline water. It's well planted and currently at a pH of around 8. I have three fish in the tank that I ideally want to keep in this tank, they are 2 synos and a bristlenose. I was told the syno can be kept with malawi and tanganyika lake chilids...but I think they prefer rocky tanks rather than planted, is this right would they not be happy in planted tank?If they would be happy what type of chilids are best?which ones will get on together? not alot of stright forward info on these on the net.

other option is to move syno to another tank, then I'd have dwarf gourami x 2, corys and a bristlenose. was going to add Co2 to help plants, and also lower pH to around 7.If I was to go with this option I'd like to add a few nice big ger fish around 20-30cm, along with some loach and a african butterfly. any ideas? (apart from anglefish)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2008 15:13 #2 by JohnH (John)
A few issues here,
Both Cichlids you mention are more at home in a rocky tank but significantly they will demolish all but the toughest plants so to even consider keeping them in a fully planted tank such as you are planning would spell disaster.So it looks like option 2 is the more suitable, with your Synos relegated to your second tank. Synodontis catfish are mostly large-growing beligerent sorts of fish which, in my opinion, would have no place in a fully planted tank either.
A good exception to this rule is the Pygmy Synodontis - Synodontis Petricola...these are largely peaceful fish but ones which mostly only appear after lights out - at least mine do but having said that they will often make an appearance in the daylight hours, especially if Bloodworms are on the menu.

I don't have any experience of the Butterfly fish but I do know they're mostly at home in floating vegetation and are prolific jumpers too. They are also pretty quick when it comes to demolishing small fish like Neons etc. My preference for surface fish would be the Hatchets, there are quite a few varieties nowadays of these.

If your plan is for a heavily planted tank then this in itself is not conducive to larger stocking levels of fish but if you'd just like a 'compromise' my suggestion would be for you to look at Leeri Gouramis as a larger fish then stock up with whichever small-to mid size community fish like the less aggressive Barbs and Characins, I have a real weakness for Rainbowfish, nice colourful fish - always on the 'go'. These would be better suited to the sort of water you have too. Some of the smaller South American Cichlids such as the Aequidens (I think they've been reclassified now) Curviceps, Keyhole Cichlids and Nannacara Anomola are very good in planted tanks too, you might want to look at a pair Of Kribs but they can be rather aggressive if they decide to lay eggs, if you can locate Rams which have a history of being tank-bred as opposed to the Wild specimens these would be alright too, if a little shy at times.
Some to be thinking about for you there, no doubt other members will have alternative suggestions.
A word of warning...Bristlenoses are great fish but do not stop at just eating Algae, they are most partial to aquarium plants too, you might want to consider something along the lines of Otocinclus - entertaining little fish which do far less damage to the plants.
John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
29 Apr 2008 15:23 #3 by oog1111 (Orlagh O Grady)
have ottos, forgot to mention them. bristlenose is in the tank few months and hasn't eaten any plants and has very little interest in them other than hiding behind them.loves his bogwood.

had a suspicion that the african cichlids would eat the plants or not be happy with them in the tank.will look into some of the other fish you mention.

/Thanks for info

More
30 Apr 2008 08:02 #4 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
with a ph like that your really setup for success if you do try Malawi cichlids or tanganykian's i've kept both and had to really try hard to get my ph up to ph9 for them although 7.5 -9.5 is their range..
for Malawi's this link might help
www.malawicichlidhomepage.com/aquainfo/f...compatibility_1.html

for my favorites at the mo, i'm mid stock up of this tank at present tanganyikan's www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages...e.php?article_id=143

or www.aquaticcommunity.com/cichlid/tanganyika.php

they are brilliant fish both types malawi's and tanganikans, both lively and colourful , john is right though plants wont last long in their tanks, but some aquascapes look great without plants..
Beware though as i've found out cichlids can be mighty addictive:woohoo: enjoy
Seamus

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
30 Apr 2008 20:21 #5 by oog1111 (Orlagh O Grady)
Decided to leave the african cichlids for another tank. have now compiled a list of possible fish;

Loaches are botia dario, or bengal loach or khuli or skunk .

Rainbows: Boesmani, Red tail, Madagascar

Cichlids (think these are all cichlids): Severum, Kribensis, Festivum, Geophagus, Sheepshead Acara, Blue acara, Cockatoo dwarf cichlid, convict cichlid, red-hump eartheater, firemouth,

peacock goby.

I know some of the cichlids can be a bit agressive, so was wondering if anyone has any ideas on possible stock list from these fish. Which loach would be best??

dwarf Gourami's I have are very big and are well able to defend themselves. have young paradise fish that are about 6cm at moment, not overly agressive at moment, but do like to chase each other, so would these be o.k back in main tank with some of the cichlids? would they all be able to defend them selves??

all idea and suggstion welcome!!

More
30 Apr 2008 21:19 #6 by Acara (Dave Walters)
Festivums will destroy ANY plant and small fish,I lost a shoal of danios overnight.
Sheepshead acara(laetacara curviceps)are small and peaceful,but breed easy in a community and get a bit territorial when doing so,although usually just chasing other fish from their patch,nothing too violent.However they can spook easy and usually eat the eggs or fry in a community situation.
Thats all I've kept from the cichlids you listed.
From what I've heard convicts breed very easily and will cause a lot of grief to other tankmates.
Firemouths and blue acara are often kept together,say a couple of each,but,typically get boisterous when breeding.
Kribensis breed easy and are good parents,they too would be territorial.
Sorry,thats about all I can help with there,thats all I've experienced,or had friends experience.

Dave

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
30 Apr 2008 22:16 #7 by oog1111 (Orlagh O Grady)
thanks! that's a great help. Festivum definatly off list then. Have seen lovely pics of all the others so think it's just a case of finding out reasons to cross them off. I have read somewhere that the Blue acara will go to bite your hand when they are breeding.

More
01 May 2008 00:51 #8 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
I agree with Acara stay away from the festivums also i'd avoid convicts as can get quite territorial also Blue acaras can be a handful. what i'd suggest in the peaceful cichlid side is kribensis, keyhole cichlids, sheephead acara, apistogramma aggassi, apistogramma veija, cockatoo cichlids, apistogramma borelli actually most of the apistos are great in a community tank..but all cichlids fight for their part of the tank when breeding but with these species its generally just a chase to get off their patch rarely anything more.. enjoy
Seamus

More
01 May 2008 02:11 #9 by JohnH (John)

Cichlids (think these are all cichlids): Severum, Kribensis, Festivum, Geophagus, Sheepshead Acara, Blue acara, Cockatoo dwarf cichlid, convict cichlid, red-hump eartheater, firemouth,

Another question (or two...)
Do you still plan to have a heavily planted tank? If you do you can most certainly also discount the Severums...mine eat every plant with the exception of some of the 'sturdier' Crypts and Anuibias(es). They even eat the 'supposedly' poisonous leaves of the Java Ferns! In earlier times all the 'Eartheaters' were classified as Geophagus although this has been opened up more now their habits remain the same...prodigious diggers, and pretty aggressive too. Blue Acaras will dig up plants as will, from time to time, Firemouths although with the latter I have had them which never dug up the gravel and others which most certainly did!
Sorry to sound so disparaging about your choices, but you have asked for opinions...really it's a bit of a 'rule of thumb' that Cichlids and plants don't really mix...you say 'no Angels' presumably you don't like them? Now there is a Cichlid which does go well in a planted tank.

peacock goby.

Here is another favourite of mine, brilliantly coloured fish, especially at breeding time and very good natured too - mostly - they can be a little bit 'nippy' but as they're quite slow movers most of the fish will be able to avoid them.

I don't know the Botia Dario but the Khuli will remain hidden for much of the time, they appear to like burying themselves in the gravel...take a look at the Striatum Loaches, quite attractive - and of course the inevitable Clown Loaches too.
I have a bit of a soft spot for the Congo Tetras, but this is all about your selection - not mine!

Just a few observations supplementary to the other answers you have been already given.

John

ps, yes Blue Acaras will try to attack anything (fingers included) which might come to close to their eggs - much could be said for almost all Cichlids - but the 'bites' from so (comparatively) small a fish would not cause you any concern...although I once saw some blood on the arm of a man who was removing a plant leaf of Angel eggs from where the pair had attacked the arm, but my belief was that he must have already had an earlier cut there which had then been reopened by the frenzied attack of the Angels.

ITFS member.

More
01 May 2008 14:57 #10 by oog1111 (Orlagh O Grady)
looked for striatum loach on loaches on line. Botia Striata is nearest I could find. Is this the same? It eats small snails so will go on my list. Gonna leave khuli off, cause I don't know if I'd like to see a worm type fish while eating breakfast or dinner(tank in dining room). Will prob just buy the best looking of these I can find. sometimes they look nothing like their pictures in books or online.

Angels were my original plan for the large fish in the tank, but got one and it came with all sorts of illness, that spread. I ended up loosing anything under 5cm, which was most of my stock. So it's kinda put me off. But on the bright side now I can get that African Butterfly, If it'll suit what I end up getting, and I can now get something a bit less timid if I want. Would also like to get something a bit different....

So I've sort changed my list a little.

Biggest fish:
firemouth cichlid
Discus (aquarium Breed)
angelfish
pearl gourami
Moonlight Gourami

Going to take about 4-6 fish from this size, ones I most like at the moment are Firemouth, Discus. But any suggestions or warning are very welcome. Know the fire mouth wouldn't be good with the discus or angels, but would the gouramis cope?? Or should they jsut be kept as 4 firemouths? Or would I be better with Discus, I hear aquarium breed ones can cope with higher pH. Or should I just go back to Angels??? Not overly worried about the odd uprooting of plants from the firemouth as the dwarf gourami I already have do this every so often when making a bubble nest, they even prune the plants for me. Plants are not the main thing for me, any plants I have I got at reasonable prices, so not too worried if they get uprooted or are nibbled...just wouldn't like them completely devoured.

Smaller fish:
Sheepshead Acara
Kribensis
Cockatoo dwarf cichlid( males only, females too small)
Boesmani Rainbow
Peacock Goby

I think all of these are varily peaceful, but haven't seen any of them for sale, apart from some dull Kribsensis. Are these advailable at certain times or only in the bigger shops in Dublin? Do any of the three cichlids tend to hide away? find my rams are alittle too shy and timid.

Fish I already have are:
2 dwarf Gourami
2 neon rainbows
4 albino corys
2 paradise fish
2 synos
1 bristle nose
2 guppies
2 rams
1 blind cave tetra
any of these that are not suitable can be put in another tank, or found a new home

Going to keep pH at around 7-7.5, and temp at 25

any more suggestions or advice???

More
01 May 2008 16:13 #11 by JohnH (John)
OOOg,
I really admire your dedication to your subject, I think if more people (myself included) did half as much studying beforehand there would be a lot less heartaches in the following times after the the stocking…

I think Striata Loaches are the same, a bit of a case of ‘horses for courses' really – different wholesalers use different names I think – the common name is the ‘Candy Striped Loach’ at least that’s what they’re called in the Baensch Atlas.

My guess is that the Angel you bought was almost certainly a far-Eastern bred one, this is only my opinion (but based on quite a lot of years’ observation) but you would appear to get more than you pay for with some far-Eastern fish (but Angels especially), it seems that internal parasites come free of charge with them!

Right, to your list…Discus and Angels are not supposed to be good tank-mates although each time I’ve kept them together they seemed to co-exist pretty well…
I think that as long as any Discus you might buy are well established and assuming you go for a Firemouth or two that they are quite small ones then the Discus will soon learn to ‘keep them in their place’.
I will add that every Discus I ever kept was in ordinary tap water, the theory is that they will live fine in it but will not breed. But after having said that I had a pair which would quite regularly lay eggs in tap water in England and one time the eggs were fertile – they actually hatched into ‘wrigglers’ but then the male decided that his progeny were eminently edible and scoffed the lot !!!
Anyway, that’s a digression, yes, tank-bred Discus will live in fairly hard water – I even recall it being said that a friend of the person writing that post had a friend who kept his Discus in (to use his words) “Liquid Concrete”.
Discus are kept in artificially warmer temperatures as many of the diseases and bacteria to which they are prone to suffer from cannot exist at these higher temperatures which also begs the question of whether their proposed tank-mates can tolerate the same? Most of the fish on your list will tolerate these temperatures, although I would have my concerns about the Firemouths, these are a Central American fish which would not really, I think, be able to cope with long periods of warmer water – I actually kept some (by way of an experiment) in an outdoors pond once – when I retrieved them in the Autumn they were fully fit and still coloured nicely too (and had grown appreciably).
I would also have concerns as to whether some Rainbows would like the warmer water either, although this is just a guess on my part, I have always kept them at lower temperatures – and with the pH pretty high too, I’m certain this is more like their natural surroundings.
Your submission about only having male Cacatouides because females are too small might well backfire, if you can find some adult females you will have more contented males who will colour up more nicely due to being ‘forever’ (or so it seems to me) displaying to them.

I have seen almost all the fish on your list available in Forum sponsors’ tanks at some time or another so I would suggest you keep an eye on their postings telling of their ‘new arrivals’ and plan your visits accordingly. You really wouldn’t want to be putting all your stock in at one time anyhow, my suggestion would be, if you go down the Discus route, to get them first, settle them in for a good few weeks and start to grow and then gradually build up your stock thereafter…

Now to a big word of caution for you…the larger Cichlids you propose getting will get large – especially the Discus – and when that happens they will either have to be passed on or, and here’s the danger, you might just find yourself having to get more and more tanks to accommodate them – and all the new ‘discoveries’ you will doubtless make along the way…I’m afraid that once it gets hold of you Fishkeeping can become a MOST addictive hobby or, to plagiarise the greatest Soccer manager who ever lived, it isn’t a matter of life and death – it’s more important than that…

John

ITFS member.

More
01 May 2008 17:00 #12 by oog1111 (Orlagh O Grady)
Am I reading between the lines right in thinking that you think Firemouths and discus might co-exist happily together. Would a pair of each be o.k? One book I have states 23-27C as Fire mouths temp range and 25-28 for discus, so mayb 25-26 might suit, this is the usual tank temp anyway. have raised it a once to 28 with no effect on fish I already have, but this was only for a few days??

Going to draw up a wee chart and write down temps and water types an where they originate from etc. to try to clear a few wee things up. would like to try to keep fish mainly from one region.

Would not be stocking over the amount for all fish fully grown, but will prob end up buying few more tanks in next fews years...will just have to work on other half. The bug has already got me!!

Think Cockatoo is off list then as the females(2.5cm in one book, 5cm in the other??) would prob eventually end up as food for the bigger fish.

More
01 May 2008 21:30 #13 by JohnH (John)

Think Cockatoo is off list then as the females(2.5cm in one book, 5cm in the other??) would prob eventually end up as food for the bigger fish.

I'll start with your last point...I have a female right now which is over 1-1/2\" now and it's still growing - the only real fish to fear on your list would be the Butterfly.
However, another Apisto which is nearly as colourful and a good bit larger is the A. Macmasteri, I have a pair the female of which is over 2\" long and the male is appreciably larger still. These are well over a year old now (a good age for Apistos).

With the Discus/Firemouth debate I am being pretty guarded in the suggestion that they would live happily together, I have tried to (perhaps not very successfully) infer that they might just co-exist but would never actually go as far as to make an out-and-out recommendation. It isn't a pairing I would choose to make...I am a little unhappy with your suggestion to keep the Discus at only 25-26 where the suggested level is more like in the low thirties - your short term rise to 28 might really be as low as you should consider keeping them at - but, hey, rules are made to be broken and as I always say: 'the fish don't read the same books as we do'.
'Suck it and see' is perhaps the right phrase here...but if you do keep a very close watching brief, you would be contravening some of the established 'rules' - but as stated 'Rules are........'.

Going to draw up a wee chart and write down temps and water types an where they originate from etc. to try to clear a few wee things up. would like to try to keep fish mainly from one region.

This is a very good idea of yours, I and others here will be most interested in hearing your final selections and how you arrived at them.

John

Just remembered what I wanted to add, your Paradise Fish will be ill at ease at higher temperatures too, they are from China and are better suited to temperatures in the low 70s - I even have some at room temperature - they've been at that for over a year now with no ill-effect but they mightn't like being at the higher end of the spectrum too much.

ITFS member.

More
02 May 2008 11:20 #14 by oog1111 (Orlagh O Grady)
Finally I've made some decisions!!!

Firemouths!!can't resist that red throat! (think I've figured out a way to stop them pulling plants, if the ones I get are that way inclined)

So how did I decide...well I've come to the conclusion that if I was to keep discus I'd have to get rid of most of my fish as they couldn't cope with high temps. keeping discus at lower temp. just seems to be looking for hassle, ie. illness. Angels are out because they seem to come with disease unless bought from a breeder or excellent source, have found more info reguarding this on net. (although, saying this they're prob the best fish for my tank) and Gourami's, they don't interest me enough to have them alone as main fish.

So going to keep them with a pair of Kribensis, and mayb some sheepshead acara, and some from the apisto family...for these I'm going to keep an eye out for a while till I see something I'm really impressed by, would also need to look into them a bit more. Is there any sites that offer good info on the apisto's?? anyway won't be getting too many of these because think they'll get chased alot when the firemouths are in breeding form.

going to get four loaches,from one of the following varieties Botia striata, bengal, or Dario.

also going to get 2 or 3 more cuckoo synodontis to keep the one I have a bit happier.

of the other fish I have I'm going to keep
the mystery syno, the bristle nose,
ottos, dwarf gourami, and the albino corys in the main tank.

paradise fish are going to put in smaller tank, but think I'll eventually need to split them, as I have my suspicions that they're both males. Blind cave is also going to in this tank, on trial, to see if he can cope with paradise fish.

Don't know what I'm going to do with guppies and neon rainbows. rainbows might be o.k in main as they're fully grown.

also like the idea of keeping Boesmani Rainbows...but I'll see how the cichlids go first.

wondering a bit about all the cichlids. know a pair of firemouths need 60cm lenght of tank when breeding, and know that the rest need a territory when breeding.I have loads of caves and hide aways in the tank, so will they just work out their own territories and take ownership of certain hide outs, or is this going to cause fights and deaths?? Would it be better just to keep the firemouths with some mid-top water dwellers???

also wondering how long do firemouths usually live in aquariums?? how long do the other cichlids live??

are adult or nearly adult firemouth advailable anywhere for sale???

So I've ended up choosing not very big fish, but hopefully they'll be big enough to make a visual impact. Think they'll certainly be interesting to watch!

Thanks to you all for all the info and advice... If you think I'm making a big mistake please tell me your reasons!!Would be better to know than have a disaster. also still have loads of questions so If any of ye can answer them please do!!

Thanks again for the info recieved so far!!

Orla

More
24 May 2008 21:07 #15 by oog1111 (Orlagh O Grady)
Hello all,
Thought I'd fill ye all in on whats happened with my fishies!

Last week or the week before I purchased 4 yo-yo loaches, as they were only ones, of my choosen 3 I could find. (If anyone comes across Bengals or Botia Dario, let me know, think I'd like a few of these too.)yo-yo are well settled in, and so funny to watch. they have lots of fights amoung themselves and actually pin each other down by the tails.but no harm is done. They make a clicking noise when eating. Haven't seen any little snails creeping around since their arrival.

This week I purchased two blue acara and two of what I think is cichlasoma spilurum. The acaras are around 5cm, one of the cichlasoma spil is a tiny bit bigger than the acara and the second is bigger again(8cm). couldn't resist the sparkles of the blue acara, and the really pretty blue eye of the cichlasoma.

gonna move them into big tank late next week. will see how it goes with plants. don't mind now if they pull them all up, have decided to change alot of the plants I have to different ones. When I'm planting them will plant them singularly in pots and hope for the best after that.

List of other fish has also changed a bit.
would like to get cichlasoma Salvini next, if I can. not sure about firemouths anymore, will think a bit longer about them. Seen them in few shops and was bit unimpressed, but I know they would prob colour up better when put in big tank with hiding places etc. and better again when breeding.

have also seen images of yellow convicts on the web, mainly on american sites. does anyone know if these are advailable in Ireland??

also got Herotilpia multispinosa (Rainbow cichlid) in mind, but I have read that the aquarium breed ones have lost alot of the colour that the wild ones have? are wild ones imported??

so, that's it for now. A lot of my research went out the window, and I ended up going for what I liked the look of (love blue things!). can't wait till they grow up to be big fishies and see what happens. any ideas on how long that'll take??

so will post again when cichlids have been moved to their permanent home and settled in. will be interesting to see how they get on with the gourami's, who think they rule the roost:lol: :lol: :unsure:

More
25 May 2008 03:30 #16 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
Aquapaws in Barna have had Yellow convicts occassionally and also yellow fiemouths, the rainbows are available put together a wishlist and email Aquapawa on their site the lads have gotten virtually everything i've ever ordered from them it might be worth the time.... web address is aquapaws.ie/ Gavin and Peter will be only too happy to help
Seamus

More
25 May 2008 08:43 #17 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Hi, we have firemouths, salvini and bengal loaches!! If you like blue fish should have true blue dempseys in a few weeks!!

More
25 May 2008 11:59 #18 by oog1111 (Orlagh O Grady)
id blue dempsey the same as jack dempsey...grows to 30cm??if so I'm afraid it might be a bit too big for me.

More
25 May 2008 19:26 #19 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
They get about 20cms or so. they would go well with your other centrals!!!!

More
25 May 2008 19:39 #20 by oog1111 (Orlagh O Grady)
I've just looked them up again in few books and net, 17-20cm seems to be the size alright...don't know where I got thirty. think I had it in my head not to get them cause of their reputation of being very agressive...but one site says this is mainly because they were one of the first cichlids introduced into aquarium hobby, and as time went on their reputation got exaggerated, but they may not be as agressive as some of the newer ones. one book says they go well with salvini, firemouth and convicts. so your right I'll definatly have to consider them.

so maybe. (totally gonna need a bigger tank for all these in few years!)how long do cichlids, like I have, generally live??how long does it take for them to get from 5cm-15cm, generally?? Could you keep just one jack dempsey??or would they not like that and loose colour?

yellow firemouth??googled them and got one not very good image. are they the same as normal just with yellow throat instead of red. or are they yellow with red throat??

another thing I want to make sure of...are cory's gonna be o.k with these cichlids or will I have to move them??

More
25 May 2008 20:54 #21 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Cichlids can live for 10+ years!!! I personally wouldnt consider JDs aggressive either, they are IMO med. aggressivness, no where near the heavyweights like red devils, dovii etc!!!!
One JD would be fine as a specimen fish, have quiet a few customers who have some LARGE cichlids in 3ft+ tanks, more like a pet!!!
All \"aggressive\" fish are only like this because they need a large territoty, if your tank is big enough they should be OK.....
Corys. should be fine if you get the cichlids 2\" they should ignore them, might be a prob. if the cichlids decide to spawn then there could be trouble!!!! maybe go for brochius cats get 3\"+ and are similar to corys.

Never heard of a yellow firemouth!!!! Prob, a relative or else a hybrid, i hope not though!!!!

More
25 May 2008 21:25 #22 by oog1111 (Orlagh O Grady)
tank floor is about 4ft by almost two I think. lots of places to hide at moment, but think when they get bigger I'll have to make the hide outs bigger. mayb I'll think ahead when I re-plant.

How many can I fit in at moment with out having chaos? How many then when they get bigger? If some are kept as specimen fish do they colour aswell as those who get the change to breed, or will it come as they age??

They in two foot by one foot at moment. one blue acara has established an area it likes to have for its self. the rest seem o.k. the cichlosoma spil. seem more shy, but don't hide away too much either. Blue acara definately have figured out who feeds them. If I put my face up they swim right infront of me, only other fish I have that do it to same extent are paradise.Big fan of my blue acara at the moment!! noticed one has little bit of white stuff around it's 'vent'. any idea what this is? looks goey, rather than hard.

10 years is a great return for your money!

not fond of hybrids, might stay away from yellow firemouths. Is the yellow convict a trade made hybrid, or does it exist in wild?? is there any other vivid yellow cichlids I could include??still discovering

More
25 May 2008 21:49 #23 by Trimax (Trimax)
Bristlenose are fine in a high PH with Cichlids, been keeping them together for years along with other S.American plec's. They won't breed in hard water tough and certainly never in a PH of 8.0. But they will live happily. The Syno is fine too, I find they make great tank mates with Cichlids. I would recomend for medium size fish Sajica (T bar Cichlids), Rainbow Cichlids, firemouths etc. Medium sized great looking fish. If you want to go with smaller fish you can try Apistogramma, Geophagus etc. Be careful if you choose to mess around with PH and Hardness, I wouldnt bother unless you plan on breeding.

More
25 May 2008 22:23 #24 by oog1111 (Orlagh O Grady)
staying clear of apistos and geophagus. apistos seem to like ph lower than 7, as mine is over 8, it would be alot of work. have seen few types and I'm not as impressed, as other people seem to be. I do like the look of them, just not for my tank. geophagus, seem to be known as earth eaters, so what ever chance my plants would have with acara etc. don't think they'd have much with a geo.

Do you have rainbows? I have read the aquarium breed ones have lost the colours of the wild ones? is this right??

have one bristle on her own, but seems to hang out with mystery syno alot. other mystery syno is a bit of a loner. but the three of them are some of the first fish I got and are doing well, although very shy and hardly ever seen.

will add CO2 in near future but only for few hours a day, will be careful to do build it up slowly. may get my RO up and running too, but will only be using alittle of it to make water a little softer. have looked at the hardness levels for fish i have at moment and it seems too high, even for the cichlids. my tap water is at a hardness of 24 and they seem to do a max of 20. So as much as I don't want to be messing with water, I don't want to have flicking fish that turn in stressed fish and then sick fish.

What SA plecos do you keep??

More
27 May 2008 21:52 - 27 May 2008 21:59 #25 by Trimax (Trimax)
I keep at the moment 2 \"Leopard cactus pleco\" or \"Orange trimmed Pleco) L114/LDA07 Pseudacanthicus leopardus. I also have 4 ancistrus cuiabae, 2 LDA01 - Panaque sp. (L169), and 1 ancistrus temmincki. I'm trying to get my hands on Pseudacanthicus sp. (L025)the \"Scarlet Pleco\", stunning fish. I'd be very suprised if your tap water was too hard for African Cichlids, Remember Tangyanikans like it harder then Malawi. My African cichlid tank is full of absurdly hard water with a PH of 8.2 and they are fine, breed like crazy and show great colours.
Last edit: 27 May 2008 21:59 by Trimax (Trimax).

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds