Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

how about cockatoo cichlids?

More
18 Aug 2008 11:02 - 19 Aug 2008 11:35 #1 by aidann06 (aidan neilan)
Last edit: 19 Aug 2008 11:35 by aidann06 (aidan neilan).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
18 Aug 2008 12:02 #2 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
Why would you want to buy a deformed fish, or a line-bred mutated fish.

Rams are weak enough as it is at the moment, A balloon variation can only be worse. I hope we don't see these monsters in the shops in Ireland.

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

More
18 Aug 2008 15:46 #3 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re:balloon rams?
I fully concur, although I have never seen these poor Rams the mind boggles...each and every time I see 'Balloon' Mollies and those dreadful 'Parrot' fish I cringe - and that's before ever we talk about dyed and tattooed fish. Wild Rams, and even the Eastern european ones to a lesser degree are amongst the loveliest of all Aquarium Fish...why not try those?
Nature has provided us many many natural beauties in the Fish world, why, oh why should breeders feel they have to create dreadful mutants - a perfect example being Discus, in my opinion the nicest of all Discus are the 'unadulterated' Wild fish...take a look at a wild Tefe or Heckel and then make a comparison with the multicoloured fabrications we see now - no contest, I believe!

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
18 Aug 2008 19:04 - 18 Aug 2008 19:04 #4 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
They are majorly inbred and and weak personally I wouldn't buy any sort of ballon anything. Why support those who think keeping a proliferating and suffering mutation for enjoyment. While the fish look well and are impressive we are surely only encouraging inbreeding and further damaging the fish trade by purchasing these fish from the suppliers etc.. We arent havent a go at you Aidann but I would like to think we are trying to represent the best interests of this hobby by simply stating the facts etc. Why not go with normal Rams,just as colourful and more natural looking also.
Gavin
Last edit: 18 Aug 2008 19:04 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner).

More
18 Aug 2008 23:20 #5 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Rams are one of the most stunning fish naturally, why anyone would want to line breed a balloon version is beyond me and why you would particularly specifiy that you want balloon rams is beyond me two.

Where have you seen pictures of them that makes you want them so much if you have not seen them in your local LFS. I would be interested to see the pictures as I find it hard to believe they could look any better than the real thing.

Welcome to the forum, you have gone in a the deep end and touched a nerve as far as a few people are concerned, as you see. But you are still very welcome, why don't you tell us what other fish you keep etc.

Daragh

More
19 Aug 2008 02:15 #6 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
Hi aidann06,
welcome to the forum, just quickly saying you should try the golden rams first, imo a much nicer fish, true to breed and not as weak as this mutated strain, the regular fish is much more of a joy to keep much more active and more likely to live a longer and healthier life... as you will find out i'm sure we like our fish au naturel these dyed, mutated and line bred species are generally frowned upon as being cruel to the fish and made weak by these mutations so you'll probably spend more rebuying the variety due to a shorter lifespan, hope this is of some enlightenment to you and if your thinking of other fish let us know your queries.
Seamus

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
19 Aug 2008 11:34 #7 by aidann06 (aidan neilan)
sorry i touched such a nerve did not mean to im only a beginner at this so i would not no.
i have 6 tanks the collection gets bigger every day ha i have 2 breeding pairs of angelfish a breeding pair of kribs and some unusual bettas like copper and lavender butterfly pairs and some plakats.

More
19 Aug 2008 11:51 #8 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
Don't worry about it Aidan. This is all about educating one another and promoting responsible fishkeeping.

Ordinary rams are great little fish but to be honest i've never had much success with them due to my hard water and the fish themselves generally being weak.

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

More
19 Aug 2008 13:48 #9 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
Hi Aidann06, cockatoo cichlids are a beautiful little cichlid, if you can manage to breed angels you should fly with these, also check out some other of the apistogramma species as they are a great bunch of fish, the likes of the hongsloi, aggassi, borelli, veija etc are beauties imo.. these have beautiful colouration and are not too big in size max of 2.5\"ish and i,ve never had any trouble from them
Seamus

More
21 Aug 2008 17:50 #10 by adamireland (Adam Jackson)
\"Dreadful Mutants\" is a bit harsh John. Breeding programs of healthy strong Discus, able to withstand aquarium life are IMO good for the hobby. Hard and sensitive Wilds are beautiful but difficult for the average keeper. i dont think they should be confused with deformity..

More
21 Aug 2008 19:15 #11 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
adamireland wrote:

\"Dreadful Mutants\" is a bit harsh John. Breeding programs of healthy strong Discus, able to withstand aquarium life are IMO good for the hobby. Hard and sensitive Wilds are beautiful but difficult for the average keeper. i dont think they should be confused with deformity..

i find my self in the last few days reconsidering my position on this subject. captive breeding to protect wild stock or endangered species is one thing. to enhance colour i do not have a problem with but having watched Pedigree Dogs Exposed it does bring in to question the reason why some types are allowed.

the short term gain will only lead to people being discouraged from the hobby and pets in general.

There are certain pet shops i do not visit simply because of the bad name they have with pedigree dogs in my humble opinion if they show so little regard for a dogs health it will be even less for other creatures.

it is simple there are laws that state how animals should be treated and what is cruel these should be enforced. hybrids or mutations that fail these standards should be ban from the country and companies that send these fish here should first be made aware of our laws and those that break them not allowed to ship here.

i have seen the disappoint on lfs owners face when they open a box to find these first they are unwanted and second they are sent to replace a short fall in the order. now they add a special order stating that dyed, tattooed or mutants will not be excepted or payed for! it may delay an order slightly but the stock is to the level they expect and we expect.

the way forward is less of the terms like mutations tattooed dyed and more information on methods used to dye and tattoo fish and information so people will understand the problems and possible expense with mutations because of ill health.

we can only educated and people will make an informed choice one they choose to live with.

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
22 Aug 2008 02:22 - 26 Aug 2008 17:19 #12 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re:balloon rams?
AdamIreland:

This subject has been discussed at length previously so I wouldn't want to be accused of repeating old arguments.

Let's just say that our views differ and leave it at that. You obviously have a vested interest in promoting these fish as you're in business to sell them while I just would sooner they were never developed in the first place.

Forums like this exist for people to express opinions (and counter opinions too)...and long may it stay that way.

John

ITFS member.

Last edit: 26 Aug 2008 17:19 by ().

More
05 Sep 2008 17:23 #13 by aidann06 (aidan neilan)
i took you up on your advice about borelli and agassizi i bought for of each and there having a great time since only thing is that the 4 agassizi fish are you and small but they are blue in colour is this noral? i thought they were meant to be red on the tail? or does this all come with age?

More
05 Sep 2008 19:40 #14 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re:apistogramma
I'm so glad you chose Borellis and Agassizis - two of the nicest 'readily available' Apistos in my opinion.

As the Agasszis will grow considerably larger (especially the females - the female Borelli is generally considered to be one of the smallest Cichlids of them all) you might find they will end up being the agressors...but maybe not, I have one female Borelli who obviously isn't aware that she's much smaller than her tankmates and literally 'rules the roost'.

When I was very much younger all Agassizis were many shades of Blue/Turquise/Green, and very nice they were too. The Red varieties are results of \"Breeding Programmes\" - largely in Europe which has resulted in many Apistos being now predominantly Red...possibly not a bad thing - unless you like fish to be the way nature intended.

You will need 'refuges' for the Apistos, they very much like to have somewhere to retreat to and, in my opinion, this makes for happier fish, and of course the Apisto females like a 'cave' to lay their eggs in too.

Keep us informed of your progress...and if you wouldn't mind could you please send me a Personal Message telling me where you bought your Blue Agassizis from, I would dearly like to obtain some Blue ones, all mine are the red varieties.

John

ITFS member.

More
07 Sep 2008 12:06 #15 by aidann06 (aidan neilan)
yeah i have loads of hiding places and loads of plants their realing thriving and the borelli are getting huhe i have caves that are meant to be for lizards but i use for the fish and loads of coconut shells and some with jave moss on them altho they have been digging out under the built in filter for protection ..

i bought the fish in limerick city ,cecil street a place called under water world you have to go down stairs for it the man inside(kevin) is really sound and packed with info and great healthy fish

More
07 Sep 2008 22:11 #16 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re:apistogramma
Thanks for that info Aidan - I'm planning a trip down to see Kevin one day next week, here's hoping he still has some more.
John
ps That's a nice male Betta in your picture - did he come from there too?

ITFS member.

More
07 Sep 2008 23:34 #17 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
Hey Aidann06,
I know Kevin very well dealing with him since he started, he's a damn good guy, you sound like you've your setup sorted but if you need any more advise shout or if you;ve any real problems pm me i'm in Limerick myself
Seamus

More
08 Sep 2008 16:01 #18 by aidann06 (aidan neilan)
if you head in some day after tuesday next week he will have his order in no i did not get that fish their i got it on aqua bid they have one of the best selections of bettas around that ive seen

• Loggser (Loggser)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Sep 2008 17:39 - 08 Sep 2008 18:38 #19 by Loggser (Loggser)
Replied by Loggser (Loggser) on topic Re:balloon rams?
JohnH wrote:

AdamIreland:

Let's just say that our views differ and leave it at that. You obviously have a vested interest in promoting these fish as you're in business to sell them while I just would sooner they were never developed in the first place.

John

Not interested in getting in the middle of it but ehh...

I'd have reckoned that someone with a \"vested intrerest in selling fish\" as you put it would benefit more from non-mutants that die easier on hobbiest rather than mutants that are easier to keep thus last longer thus shops sell less fish no??? :unsure:

Thank god for Evolution I say.
I'd rather be sitting here watching my plasma tv than swinging from a tree :)
Last edit: 08 Sep 2008 18:38 by Loggser (Loggser).

More
08 Sep 2008 19:25 #20 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Loggser wrote:

I don't know if someone would actually sit down and plan to produce fish that would have a shorter lifespan because of poor genectics and deformities, if they wanted to do that I am sure there would be easier ways to affect regular fish than to come up with new strains that no matter how much some people, including myself, dislike them know takes a lot of work developing and fixing.

It is more likely that they are produced to satisfy consumer demand of always getting something new or different, the model with the go faster stripes.

Personally most evenings I would prefer to be swinging from a tree than watching some of the crap on TV, TV is counter productive as far as evolution goes lot of the time :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Daragh

• Loggser (Loggser)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Sep 2008 22:54 #21 by Loggser (Loggser)
Replied by Loggser (Loggser) on topic Re:balloon rams?
Daragh_Owens wrote:

Loggser wrote:

Personally most evenings I would prefer to be swinging from a tree than watching some of the crap on TV, TV is counter productive as far as evolution goes lot of the time :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Daragh

Ok you've a point there :dry: :laugh: :laugh:

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds