Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

re: dyed fish and deadly Discus

• Tumblina (Tumblina)
  • Tumblina (Tumblina)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
01 Feb 2006 18:51 #1 by Tumblina (Tumblina)
re: dyed fish and deadly Discus was created by Tumblina (Tumblina)
I was in our local shop, asking about the question of dyed fish and the answer I got was while he wants to not keep dyed fish, some times if the wholesaler has not got what he's ordered( IN Singapore) he can subsitute other fish, and some times these can be dyed fish even if you have requested non-dyed fish you can end up with them and having to pay COD and a great difficulty returning them what can you do. But he hates having them. Fish keeping and importing for indivudual shops in its infancy in ireland, especially out side Dublin so the wholesalers are still in control. Hopefuly this will change.

He showed me an add from the main supplier of republic pet shops, a company in the north.... for the most hidious thing I have ever seen in dyed fish. A red lipstick, colour bar Parrot fish. There is a article in the PFK this month, they are tatooed . DO NOT BUY THEM!!!!! Have a look it is shameful. My local Aquatic shop is Fin's N Things, in Midleton, Co. Cork. To be fair to him , he realy loves the fish its not just a business. And he has tons of fantastic Discus, oscars and sting rays.There are no floaters in his tanks and all the tanks are clean and fish types are sorted in to types, not all plonked all together. He has seperate tanks for hard water, soft water, Discus. He will tell you what fish goes with what and what you shouldn't put in your tank and How to start a new tank. He has some mad customers, he says a guy who came in to his shop and told him all his fish had died... he bought a tank from a shop in cork city,he was told he never had to do anything to it. When Fins n Things told him he had to change water, and offered a leaflet on how to do it, he refused the leaflet and went! Anyway Mr Fins n Things will give tons of good advice to those who do want it, and won't sell Discus to anyone with out proper RO waterand mature filters! A concience in fish keeping mmm a refreshing change????????

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• georgina (georgina)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Feb 2006 06:28 #2 by georgina (georgina)
Replied by georgina (georgina) on topic Re: re: dyed fish and deadly Discus
Hey Tumblina,
I'm in Cork too, i work in the city and absolutely hate the 2 pet shops ther coz I dont tink they have a clue how to care for their animals properly. I know fins and things in Midleton, its a really good shop, and as you said the fish are always really healthy. Aside from the fish aspect, his plants are really good too and he doesnt overcharge you for shit (like the rest of them do). I love his tank on the wall that he made himself. He's a really nice guy. Theres another good shop in Bandon too, havent been ther in a while but last time I was the quality ther was excellent.

A pet superstore has opened up in Carriagaline too. They dont have many fish (just goldfish I think) but have all the other gear!

I posted a message there a while ago about the dye'd fish thing. I emailed the ISPCA and reported the fish shop that was selling the fish but I got no satisfaction from them and was told they would get back to me as soon as one of their ppl called out....that was months ago...

Its such bad form, and as for suppliers sending them in instead of otyher fish, GET A NEW SUPPLIER!!!!Thats a total cop out....

G

More
07 Feb 2006 10:49 #3 by monty (monty)
Came across my first dyed fish the other week in the 'Pets Parade' in Arklow. - it snew from what I gather.

In fairness we were just passing and I wouldn't advocate buying from somewhere where the tanks have a bad mix of fish (puffers and molly's anyone) as it suggests lack of understanding and care but the kids liked looking at the guinea pigs (they get their fix of fish at home ).

Problem is that dyed fish look interesting and appeal to the novice and uneducated in what they really are.

I noticed georgina mailed the ISPCA about a LFS selling them. Is it actually illegal ?

Cheers,

Monty

• georgina (georgina)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Feb 2006 12:22 #4 by georgina (georgina)
I dont actually know if its illegal but it is extremely cruel and therefore should be looked upon as cruelt to animals. The problem with fish is that people figure they dont have any feelings and therfore cruelty doesnt extend to them.

More
09 Feb 2006 17:05 #5 by Dave (Dave Fallon)
At present it is not illegal to stock or trade in dyed fish, however it is an extremely brutal practise which should be stamped out of the hobby.

Qui Vivra Verra.

• conor (conor)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Feb 2006 07:19 #6 by conor (conor)

• georgina (georgina)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 Feb 2006 06:19 #7 by georgina (georgina)
They should just make it outright illegal...

More
20 Feb 2006 06:32 #8 by monty (monty)
I know this article is from UK - but I would guess the message is the same here.

'It is not illegal to sell a dyed fish although it mey be illegal to do the dying'.

Fighting against this will be difficult in terms of getting any reproach against the shops selling them as if the ISPCA go into a LFS and see dyed fish the store itself is probably not doing any harm to the fish and is treating it well.

It's up to us, as a collective not to buy them.

I see that the PFK have shops signing up not to stock dyed fish. Has the Irish Tropical Fish society considered such as thing, or members gone to their LFS to get the various shops to signed the PFK charter on this ?

• Tony Vaughan (Tony Vaughan)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Apr 2006 16:05 #9 by Tony Vaughan (Tony Vaughan)
Replied by Tony Vaughan (Tony Vaughan) on topic Re: re: dyed fish and deadly Discus

won't sell Discus to anyone with out proper RO waterand mature filters

Pity - I have Wild Caught Heckels in Limerick Tap Water :wink:

Best Regards.............Tony

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Apr 2006 19:16 #10 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: re: dyed fish and deadly Discus
Have to agree with Tony.
The discus that are sold here are probably hundreds of generations from those that swim in the Amazon.
It actually worse to put a discus from a high ph into a lower ph that vice versa.

• Tony Vaughan (Tony Vaughan)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 Apr 2006 00:35 #11 by Tony Vaughan (Tony Vaughan)
Replied by Tony Vaughan (Tony Vaughan) on topic Re: re: dyed fish and deadly Discus
Harry, to you have more info on this

It actually worse to put a discus from a high ph into a lower ph that vice versa

??

I thought it was the other way around :?:

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 Apr 2006 03:54 #12 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: re: dyed fish and deadly Discus
They can go in to ph shock and worse ph burn.
I scalded enough to know. lol. only joking.

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds