Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

How to catch fry?

More
30 Apr 2009 19:53 #1 by alkiely (alan kiely)
Hi all,

Good news my platty gave birth.....:laugh: :cheer:

I have 10 fry i think they just arrived in the last hour or so they are in my 54l platty breeding tank, the problem is i cant catch them without pulling my tank apart:angry:

I have removed the 5 plattys from the tank so i can get the fry, i was gonna use my net or syphon which would be better?

Alan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2009 20:54 #2 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
two nets in my experience. do mostly i use traps

garlic or onion netting wrapped around plastic container and a rubber band

best of luck with these guys
Mickey

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
30 Apr 2009 20:56 #3 by lampeye (lampeye)
Rollercoaster ride in the siphon tube into a bucket

lampeye

More
30 Apr 2009 21:02 #4 by alkiely (alan kiely)
I caught all of them:laugh:

Put all them into my breeding net, had 4 in there already its getting kinda full. Just looking at my other platty she might be due too and i have a pair of mollies that look to be sizing each other up;)

Looks like ill be busy in a few weeks.

Alan

More
30 Apr 2009 21:12 #5 by Ian (Anthony Ramirez)
lampeye wrote:

Rollercoaster ride in the siphon tube into a bucket

that's how I did it

Fishkeeping CV: Co-founded, 1st President of the only surviving Fishkeeping Club (Accredited by Dept. of Fisheries) in the Philippines (mypalhs.com). I have mostly reared tropicals - Arowanas and monster fishes. My oldest arowana is 13years old (died in a tropical storm). Ive since reared a Black,...

More
30 Apr 2009 21:24 #6 by alkiely (alan kiely)
Used my net got them all.

Just wondering when will the colour show up on them? coz the other 4 platty fry are red, a yellow and blue mix and yellow with spots a mix of the colours from the males in my tank.

More
30 Apr 2009 22:45 #7 by mrsFishpatrick (Astrid Fitzpatrick)

More
30 Apr 2009 23:00 #8 by Puggy (Fergus Cooke)
alkiely wrote:

Just wondering when will the colour show up on them? coz the other 4 platty fry are red, a yellow and blue mix and yellow with spots a mix of the colours from the males in my tank.

You might wanna be more discerning about the fish you buy. I started out last April with six platys, all different. Gave them back to the shop, with the fry. Eventually I decided to get orange two spot platys, four female and one male, from different stock.

Now I have plenty in my Rio 300 and they are a consistent color etc. I keep the females, grow the males and pass them on. I try to keep a male in with them, though this means I cannot keep all the fry. If I leave the lights on and dont net the new fry, most do not survive 24 hours.

Gotta admit, Im not entirely comfortable with this! Seems wrong to keep live bearers in a captive tank, where you know most young will end up as food.

More
01 May 2009 09:51 #9 by alkiely (alan kiely)
This is the second time she has given birth first time 6 survived in my rio 180 which is planted i even found 1 an hr ago. Then when i seen she was pregnant again i moved her into my 54l which is very heavily planted with my other plattys.

I have watched the tank very close over the last few days waiting for this and have only had the lights on for 4 hrs a day in the evening. The reason she isnt in the breeding trap is i had two plattys in there last time and they both died soon after i put them in so i didnt this time.

I watched her give birth last night to ten fry all together and none of the other plattys went near her i removed the fry and all are doing fine in my net.

I can understand ur point but i dont leave them in my tank for food:angry: This is the first fish has given birth in my tank without me putting it into a trap or a net, ive lost 3 fish by using a trap so this time i left her and i have had no problems this time all have lived.

The reason i have plattys and mollies are to breed them not to let them get pregnant leave them and let the fry get eaten. I bought them coz they are easy to breed and because i was only getting into fish keeping, plattys and mollies are great fish to start with and they are easy to look after.

Im hoping to breed different fish, now gonna start with rams. Im not one of these people how gets a tank and leaves it, doesnt care what fish are in the tank with other fish. I have spend hrs apon hrs reading reseaching different fish to see want id like to keep and what i can keep with the other fish. I have put hrs into looking after them making sure i have the tank to the best standards i can making sure w/c is perfect etc.

Just on the platty fry being different colours.... I watched her give birth put the fry in my net 3 died soon after and the other four are fine when the colours started to show on them i noticed they were all different colours and matched the males in the tank and was wondering how that happened.

Alan

More
01 May 2009 17:28 #10 by Puggy (Fergus Cooke)
Alan,

just read your post. Sorry, I was not saying anything about you! I was talking about my poor fish choice when I started last year. I also thought, rightly or wrongly, that if I was passing on fish bred in my tank, I should know the stock they had come from.

More
01 May 2009 17:32 #11 by alkiely (alan kiely)
Hi puggy,

I see what ur on about :laugh: if i was passing them on well then i wouldnt have put so many males in the tank but there for myself to add to my community tank so which male they came from wasnt an issue for me.

Alan

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds