Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

transporting fish

More
23 Nov 2009 19:33 #1 by nips147 (Eamonn Mcguffin)
lads im rehoming a featherfin catfish,the problem is i have to travel about an hour to get where im goin im lookin for tips advice on keepin thewater in the bag warm and any other tips to get her there alive would love to keep it but i need a new tank for her and at the moment its not an option

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
23 Nov 2009 19:36 #2 by gardoyle27 (Gareth Doyle)
how big are we talkin here? normal transport is bag the fish and put her in a polystyrene box to slow down the cooling of the water, if your only traveling an hour this should be ok, if your still nusre i know people with reptiles use heat packs you could give that a try

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Nov 2009 19:52 #3 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re:transporting fish
I've transported Fish, Cory sterbai to be exact, in plastic Bags from Belfast, altogether 2.5 hours to Dublin. The guy was a breeder there.

I just placed the bags side by side on the back seat covered with an old Duvet , 5 bags in all. The only heating provided was the heater in the car set to warm, about 22 degrees. They arrived safely and I lost none. Make sure the Bag or whatever you choose to use has more Oxygen filled space than water.

I think the knack is to acclimate them, avoid a shock in temp drop via the usual floating in the Tank trick. TLC ! TLC ! TLC !

Kev

More
23 Nov 2009 19:57 #4 by nips147 (Eamonn Mcguffin)
its about 5 and a bit inches id say check photo below,this photo is about 6 months old so slightly bigger s213.photobucket.com/albums/cc116/nips14...current=IMG_0035.jpg

More
23 Nov 2009 19:59 #5 by nips147 (Eamonn Mcguffin)
cheers kev its not really an hour about 40 mins id say so it should be fine

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Nov 2009 20:02 #6 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re:transporting fish
;)

More
23 Nov 2009 20:39 #7 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
The fish will be fine for an hour. No worries,just acclimatise them slowly and they will be fine.
Gavin

More
23 Nov 2009 21:49 #8 by gardoyle27 (Gareth Doyle)
yeah mate it'll be fine, just bag it and as was said by kev, as much air as possible. you shouldn't have a problem

More
23 Nov 2009 22:04 - 23 Nov 2009 22:08 #9 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re:transporting fish
You might want to consider 'double bagging' your fish. Many Synodontis species (and Euruptus is one) have small spines along some of the barbules and these can fracture the bag, especially single less-sturdy bags.
For safety's sake I would put one bag inside another...and I say this from bitter experience of not having done so.
It would probably be a good idea to either tie off the corners of the bags or tape them up a la Corydoras bagging to prevent your catfish getting stuck into one of the bag corners - actually this is a really good precaution to take when transporting any fish in plastic bags.
But less than an hour in a bag - especially if it is 'doubled' - will be no harm at all...I often bring fish from overseas which are nearly always in bags for almost 24 hours and only had one mishap when they suffocated from Ammonia poisoning - but that's another story.
John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 23 Nov 2009 22:08 by JohnH (John). Reason: tried to get rid of stupid 'smiley' which appeared unrequested!!!

More
23 Nov 2009 22:35 #10 by pkearney (Phil Kearney)
theres just one other point. when catching the fish be careful not to damage the spines with the net.you could use a collander or sieve to fish him out!
phil.

Time to create page: 0.049 seconds