Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

I want rocks like these

More
30 Jan 2007 10:12 #1 by arabesque (Mick Veale)
Im about to set up a new tank, Rio 400
and want to choose rocks that are frontosa friendly.
Instead of the ocean rock that my front decides to headbutt on occasion.

found this guy discussing rocks on cichlidforum.
Holy moly check out this tank...
www.cs.kent.edu/~fmueller/240G.html

I am using flagstone in my 240G with juvenile fronts with good success. There isn't one hard and fast definition of what flagstone really is, but most landscaping places tend to use the term for anything that's flat rather than more rounded - which is preferable if you want to built caves and/or a background. Mine are not slate (which I wouldn't recommend due to sharp edges) but more of a sandstone type of rock, that is softer and no sharp edges even if they break up. They were also pretty cheap and labeled as 'Ohio top rock' in the flagstone category. I reckon this simply means they were locally collected (I am in Ohio), and some of them had moss on them to prove it. They came pretty clean, and I just gave them a good dusting with a coarse brush. I had attractive green algae growing on my rocks in no time, and doubt that this woudl have occured if I had sterilized the rocks by boiling them or heating them in the oven.

and then...

the background is all flagstone that I siliconed to the back wall of the tank. .... I am sure there are some rocks with a metal content that could be dangerous for fish, but frankly I think the odds of finding something like this in your local garden supply store are pretty slim. Limestone would obviously be bad for a soft water setup with something like Discus, but no issue in a frontosa tank. I reckon most people worry a lot more about the choise of rocks than warranted. I just got them from a garden supply store, they looked fine to me, and so far they are fine Personally I have never seen a setup with river rocks that I really like.

So I spent all last sat out in garden center in newlands cross. had feck all there. Then went to a salvage yard where they had limestone.. too thick and half of it was covered with bits of cement.. no good.

I know you can make styrofoam backgrounds but honestly.. what a mess.
The other alternative is a backtonature background.. pricey though.
Anyone got any pictures of rocks that they have used/found.

thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2007 12:09 #2 by essjay (S Jackson)
Saw that tank before alright. Impressive.

My brother reckons he has 40 ton on that stuff in his yard. I'm trying to some off him to photograph and post up. He uses it for making a pavement and I think it was building a wall too with it.

From what he told me, it's about 1/4 inch thick (this I doubt 'cos I saw it before an I reckon it's about 1 inch) and very heavy. He says that if you hit it with a hammer it would shatter so from that I get the impression it's slate like.

I'll try and get a photo.....

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
30 Jan 2007 13:27 #3 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: I want rocks like these
I wouldn't silicone any stone to the back of my tank. You could get a fracture through the stress on the glas

More
31 Jan 2007 03:19 #4 by arabesque (Mick Veale)

My brother reckons he has 40 ton on that stuff in his yard. I'm trying to some off him to photograph and post up

Do you think it'd be suitable for caves also?
I need a rock that isnt as big/round and heavy as
river rock, but which wont damage the fish if they bump
off it.

if so i'd be very interested in seeing a photo or if you pm'd me his number i'd call by and if it's suitable i'd buy some off him.

apistodiscus: Im pretty sure it'd be okay to silicone on thin slabs. I might silicone polystarine to the base and back of the glass first. Then silicone the rocks over the back piece...leave to dry and then turn it upright...

More
31 Jan 2007 03:21 #5 by essjay (S Jackson)
let me get a sample first - could be completely unsuitable, and we'll go from there.

More
31 Jan 2007 03:26 #6 by arabesque (Mick Veale)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
31 Jan 2007 06:45 #7 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Actually I would be more worried about the weight rather than cracking the glas when dlueing in the slabs. The weight will still be there even if you use polysterene first

More
31 Jan 2007 07:05 #8 by arabesque (Mick Veale)
ive got a vision 260 at the moment with an unholy amount of rock in it.

im not sure if weight would be/should be an issue?
these thinner slabs would definitely be lighter than
my current amount of ocean rock.

anyone else got thoughts on this?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
31 Jan 2007 07:44 #9 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
You have rock in it, no problem with that but you do not have it attched to the back of the tank

More
31 Jan 2007 07:50 #10 by arabesque (Mick Veale)

You have rock in it, no problem with that but you do not have it attched to the back of the tank

have a look at this tank
www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=113830

More
31 Jan 2007 08:09 #11 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
Arabesque, that is one beautiful Frontosa in your pic, how long have ya got him. What else is in the tank?

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
31 Jan 2007 08:19 #12 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
He used pvc backing to attach the slate to. This will give a more even weight distribution along the backside of the tank. I still wouldn't feel comfortable with it.

More
31 Jan 2007 08:38 #13 by essjay (S Jackson)
that is a lovely tank in the picture. How does one achieve that lighting effect? Remove one of the normal tubes and replace with a blue one? Does it have any effect on the fish?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
31 Jan 2007 08:43 #14 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
no need to remove the tube. You can buy led tubes that attach onto your normal tube. Alternatively you can buy LED spots that you can tape into the hood. They are very cheap to run.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
31 Jan 2007 09:07 #15 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: I want rocks like these

no need to remove the tube. You can buy led tubes that attach onto your normal tube. Alternatively you can buy LED spots that you can tape into the hood. They are very cheap to run.

Holgar, could you please post some more info on this in the D.I.Y section. :wink:

More
31 Jan 2007 09:09 #16 by arabesque (Mick Veale)
briefly gettting back ON TOPIC!!

anyone any idea where i can pick up similar rock pieces?
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
31 Jan 2007 09:35 #17 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
I should imagine any aggregate shop, some landscaping firms might be able to get you some

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
31 Jan 2007 09:43 #18 by Anthony (Anthony)
The stone you are looking for is Donegal quartz.
Used in crazy paving but you can get wide pieces too.

More
31 Jan 2007 10:09 #19 by arabesque (Mick Veale)
perfect... ill ring around a few landscaping places..
thanks

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
31 Jan 2007 13:08 #20 by Anthony (Anthony)
Balgriffin patio centre sells it but you have to buy it by the square metre.

Tell them you are doing a job and you need some samples to show some woman. Works every time.

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds