Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

algae eater

• bradan (bradan)
  • bradan (bradan)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
28 Feb 2007 16:54 #1 by bradan (bradan)
algae eater was created by bradan (bradan)
i have a jeuwel vision 180 tank... with a mixture of tetras i had an orange coloured algae growing on the tank, so i added 2 algae eaters from the petshop, not sure what they are, recently noticed that the tank is now spotless so they are doing the job...

my question is , will they have enough food, will the algae grow back quick enough to supply them with food, or do i need to supply some sort of other food for them?

thanks for the info...im trying to find out what sort fish they are,, does anyone know of any free service where i can post pictures of them?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
28 Feb 2007 17:01 #2 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
Replied by ChrisM (ChrisM) on topic Re: algae eater
I have a catfish over 5 years now and I have never seen it come out from hiding when I feed normally.Somehow it gets food from somewhere,most likely by scavenging along the substrate during the night.If it really needed food it would come out during the day and get some along with the rest of the fish.I also have a pleco that rarely comes out during the day so it gets by and the tank it is in has very little algae growth!My advice would be find out the exact species and go from there but most algae eaters will scavenge IME.

To post pictures .....
www.irishfishkeepers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=951

• bradan (bradan)
  • bradan (bradan)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
28 Feb 2007 17:43 #3 by bradan (bradan)
Replied by bradan (bradan) on topic picture of algae eater
hi there i have placed a photo of the algae eater online you can see it at

myaquariumphotographs.fotopic.net/p39044497.html

More
28 Feb 2007 17:57 #4 by steven (steven)
Replied by steven (steven) on topic Re: algae eater
Bradan im no expert maybe one of the other lads will know it better but my guess is its a common pleco you find in most fish shops

Treat every day like your last, some day it will be??

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
01 Mar 2007 02:20 #5 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: algae eater
Yep, commom pleco. Grows to a size that you won't be able to put it in a frying pan and only eats algae when it's relatively small. Bristlenoses or octocinclus are much better fish for a community tank

Holger

More
01 Mar 2007 03:34 #6 by Acara (Dave Walters)
They will accept a few different veg,but if you cut a ring of cucumber,weigh it down with a piece of lead strip and the plec will devour it.Or,alternatively buy plec wafers or similar from your lfs.

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
01 Mar 2007 16:21 #7 by goldy (goldy .)
Replied by goldy (goldy .) on topic Re: algae eater
you can also feed tehm peas. if you have any left over at dinner time pop the squashy inside out of them and put it in the tank. the love cucumber and courgette aswell. nice pleco

More
01 Mar 2007 19:28 #8 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Hi
Problem with "common plecs" is there are a few species that fall into tihs catagory, Hypostomus n Liposaurus (plus a few more but not sure bout spelling!) they can get 20"+, yor are better of with ottos or ancistrus imo!!!

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
01 Mar 2007 19:28 #9 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: algae eater

Yep, commom pleco. Grows to a size that you won't be able to put it in a frying pan and only eats algae when it's relatively small. Bristlenoses or octocinclus are much better fish for a community tank

Holger

I feed mine Prawns too.

Time to create page: 0.047 seconds