Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

jeuwel vision 180

• bradan (bradan)
  • bradan (bradan)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Mar 2007 09:57 #1 by bradan (bradan)
jeuwel vision 180 was created by bradan (bradan)
hi i have a jeuwel vision 180 tank.. with a mixture of tetras and 2 plecos.

i have the standard pumps and filters.

should the tank in normal operation be 100% clear?

i notice that its not 100% clear..
any suggestions?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Mar 2007 10:06 #2 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: jeuwel vision 180
it should unless you are keeping seriously big plecs.

When's the last time you cleaned your filter?

• bradan (bradan)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Mar 2007 10:12 #3 by bradan (bradan)
Replied by bradan (bradan) on topic Re: jeuwel vision 180
tank water and filters changed as per guidelines from jeuwel
10% of water changed every 2wks.

and filters as normal.

plecs are 3 to 4 inch in length there are 2.

its clear , but not 100%... the tanks in the LFS are much clearer

• Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Mar 2007 10:16 #4 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
10% water change every two weeks isn't enough. Aim more for 25-30%.
What kind of substrate do you use?
I have no idea how often Jewel suggest to clean the filter pads and I don't think that there is a set cleaning interval. It all depends how dirty the filterpads are. It all depends how much you feed and how many you fish have.
By the way,I'd get rid of the carbon sponge (black) and replace it with either a fine filterpad or one of those nitrate pads.
Holger

More
09 Mar 2007 11:09 #5 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
Juwel suggest that you "replace" your filter media after a couple months use. They also suggest that you should replace the fine filter floss ever week or so. This might be true for the filter floss if you are not running an external at the same time. As I run an external at the same time I only change the filter floss ever two-three weeks.

As for replacing the other filter media. I am of the opinion that filter media should never need to be replaced unless is starts to fall apart. Otherwise just give them a quick rinse in the water from the tank when they are sufficiently blocked and water movement has been impeded.

When you say that your water isn't clear? What colour is it? e.g. (yellowish, milky..etc...)

Regards Denis

Lead me not into temptation, For I can find it myself!

More
09 Mar 2007 11:46 #6 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
Jewel is then talking rubbish, as the flow rate drops due to clogging the filter wool should be wash with tank water, I usually use the water that's in the canister, hence before washing its dark brown and after washing is light brown/beige but never white or even worse new white. This process would normally be done every 3 -6 weeks depending on what stocking level in relation to filter size you have. After a years 50% of the wool should be changes as it may tend to look a bit rubbery and lose form never change all the wool in one go)

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

More
09 Mar 2007 13:18 #7 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
I repalce my fine water polishing media once the water flow starts to slow down - about every six weeks or so.

I have yet to replace any bio media. I plan on useing hte same media for several years. I'll replace it when the sponge starts falling apart.

Most filter manufacturers tell you to replace media very regularly. They would, they're selling the stuff.

Regards,

Ken.

More
09 Mar 2007 13:30 #8 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
The white floss in Juwel filters is a prefilter, it should be replaced every week, otherwise it usually get clogged slowing down flow n filter performance (they are not great filters anyway, externals are light years ahead i would run both of them together alternating maintanance to keep one filter running 100%) The carbon replace every 4-6 weeks, if you have the nitrate sponge change same as carbon, first set of blue sponges change every 3 months, bottom set every 6 months (exactly what juwel recommend, some people wash the sponges out in tank water to keep bacteria but if you rotate the cleaning of them you should not loose the good bacteria)
I would test water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH weekly, water change 20-30% every 2 weeks gravel cleaning is the best way to do it, but it all depends on what you keep, large fish i would w/c more often imo.

• bradan (bradan)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Mar 2007 13:44 #9 by bradan (bradan)
i change 35L out of the tank every too weeks that equals 19.4% not 10% as i previously stated.

i think that thats enough to be changing from what i have read on the web.

More
09 Mar 2007 14:58 #10 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
I don't know if you missed my post but,

When you say that your water isn't clear? What colour is it? e.g. (yellowish, milky..etc...)

Just to try and pint point why your water clarity is down?

Lead me not into temptation, For I can find it myself!

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Mar 2007 16:15 #11 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: jeuwel vision 180

i change 35L out of the tank every too weeks that equals 19.4% not 10% as i previously stated.

i think that thats enough to be changing from what i have read on the web.

The web is full of shit.
If your water looks dirty then it needs to be changed. Increase both the frequency and the volume of water changes.
I do 50% weekly. (but I have Cichlids)I never change the bio media only the mechanical white floss. I don`t use carbon unless I have too.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Mar 2007 17:30 #12 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
When I was still running external filters I did away with the floss. Just used the very dense foam PC come in. You can cut it to any size. Give it a squeeze every couple of weeks and that's it. If you want some pm me your address and I'll mail it on to you.

And I do agree with Anthony, more W/C more often
Holger

• bradan (bradan)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Mar 2007 18:26 #13 by bradan (bradan)
i have about 16 assorted tetras in the tank, and 2 small plecos...

20 % water change every 2 weeks should be fine? it appears clear enough but not 100% like the tanks in the LFS

have a look at the pictures here
myaquariumphotographs.fotopic.net/ you will see what i mean
this is my tank

Time to create page: 0.049 seconds