Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Cardinals - delicate?

• 2poc (2poc)
  • 2poc (2poc)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Mar 2007 02:21 #1 by 2poc (2poc)
Cardinals - delicate? was created by 2poc (2poc)
Picked up a few fish from a petshop last night:

3 * Glowlight tetras
3 * Cardinals
2 * Pygmy Corys

Got home from the petshop about 20 mins later - 1 cardinal dead in the bag.
Floated the bag in the tank for another 20 minutes - another cardinal dead in the bag.

The other fish were fine so I introduced them into the tank but left the bag floating with the remaining cardinal for another 15 mins - another dead cardinal..

Whats the story??
I'm going to ring the shop this morning as I think these were part of a new batch of fish just in.
Was it the stress of moving them or what might have been the cause?

All of the other fish looking fine in the tank this morning.

Cheers,
Patrick

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 Mar 2007 03:26 #2 by steven (steven)
I'd be heading straight back with the fish in the bag sounds dodgy

Treat every day like your last, some day it will be??

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Mar 2007 03:30 #3 by 2poc (2poc)
Replied by 2poc (2poc) on topic Re: Cardinals - delicate?
Bizarre alright...

I threw the fish in the bin..
But before I did I took a picture of two of the floaters in the bag.

Going to give them a call shortly to see what they say as like I said the other fish were all fine..

More
16 Mar 2007 03:52 #4 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
I once brought to mature rosy barbs to a fish show in bray in the mid 80´s and with 15 minutes they were all dead after been place in the bench with water provided from the fish show organisers, the cause was the borr effect (in ability of the hemobglobin to carry oxgen in the blood) due to an ca tropic pH drop in the blood causes by moving a fish from high pH water to a water of MORE than 1.5pH downwards, ironically fish can take an upward sudden rise in the positive direction, before you condemn the shop measure the pH in your tank and ask the shop to check the pH in their tank if there is say at 7.8PH they are to blame as most of the client swill have their tanks at dangerous lower pH to the sales tank, which would make it their fault, or if the bagged the fish with sealing the corner of the bag and the fish was transported stuff in the corner, basically with very small fish and all cats the should heat seal the corners or use elastic bands to "round out the 2 corners"

You could print this thread off off and show this to the shop after you have establish there was more than 1.5pH drop between tanks or if they did not do up the corners.

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Mar 2007 03:55 #5 by 2poc (2poc)
Cheers Sean,

Thing is, the fish actually never came in contact with my water !

They were in the shop water the whole time..
One was dead before the bag was floated then the others were dead within 20 mins of floating the bag..

Even when I was releasing the survivors into my tank I caught them by hand rather than risk introducing anything from the shop water.

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Mar 2007 03:59 #6 by 2poc (2poc)

or if the bagged the fish with sealing the corner of the bag and the fish was transported stuff in the corner, basically with very small fish and all cats the should heat seal the corners or use elastic bands to "round out the 2 corners"

Just re-reading that - nope - nothing was done with the corners of the bag.
I was wondering about that as I noticed the guys in Aquatic village doing it when I bought corys there..

Could this be what killed the cardinals though?

They had plenty of water, I rigged the bag for the journey in my car so that it was hanging upright & couldnt go anywhere.

Cheers,
Patrick.

More
16 Mar 2007 04:23 #7 by Gavin (Gavin)
all bags now should have square edges on them so the fish don't drown. If the shop doesn't have these bags ask them to turn the bag upside down and double bag. (cardinals really benifit from double bagging for insulation purposes) If they get below 20Deg can mean problems for them with white spot too. Also could be that the tank that they came from had high levels of ammonia and was due a water change perhaps? when they were bagged with no filter running and them wasting away in it this could have finished them off..just a possibility.

dont make me come over there.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Mar 2007 04:33 #8 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: Cardinals - delicate?
two bags will do very little for insulation, wrap the bag in newspaper if you are worried about heat loss. The buttom ends of the bag should be rounded, ideally anyway. In Germany,Tetra, Sera and several others give them free to petshops if the shop sells their products. Never seen them in Ireland.

I would suggest that your cardinals had just arrived in your LFS and couldn't handle another trip so soon. My guess anyway. Smallish cardinals are very sensitive anyway.

Holger

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Mar 2007 04:35 #9 by 2poc (2poc)
Cheers Guys,

I would suggest that your cardinals had just arrived in your LFS and couldn't handle another trip so soon. My guess anyway. Smallish cardinals are very sensitive anyway.
Holger

Holger - you were spot on.
Just got off the phone to the shop & he was surprised that I was sold cardinals yesterday as they had just arrived in & shouldnt have been sold.
They usually quaranteen them for at least 24 hours.

If I drop back today they will replace the fish.

Thanks again,
Patrick.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Mar 2007 04:38 #10 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
hi Patrick,
been there and bought that T-shirt

I'd get at least 5 fish anyway.

Holger

More
16 Mar 2007 04:47 #11 by Gavin (Gavin)
24 hours quarantine? mmmm.

dont make me come over there.

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Mar 2007 04:53 #12 by 2poc (2poc)
24 hrs is not ideal alright.

Might go for something other than cardinals as replacements..

I got 2 pygmy corys yesterday & they are excellent so I might just get more of them.

I'm just stocking a small tank with mini colourful + interesting fish. Nothing pricey so no real point in travelling to one of the more established shops.

More
16 Mar 2007 05:38 #13 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
A lot of fish including marines are transshipped (re bagged with little mortality and sent on to there final destination, if a cardinal gets stuck in the corner of the bag, it getting stuck kills it not the low temp.

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Mar 2007 06:20 #14 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Sean's right. The old man brought fish all the way from South America without losing many and the temp dropped a bit on the way over the Atlantic. Add Ammo Lock when transporting fish fot extended periods of time. You can add tranquilizers but you'd want to know what you are doing and it's hard to get them.

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Mar 2007 06:24 #15 by 2poc (2poc)
Cool, I'll get them to bag the fish properly this evening as suggested by Gavin.

Last thing I want are more casualties on my hands..

Thanks for all the advise guys, much appreciated.

Time to create page: 0.052 seconds