Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Lazy Molly

• Vickers (Vickers)
  • Vickers (Vickers)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
29 Mar 2007 15:50 #1 by Vickers (Vickers)
Lazy Molly was created by Vickers (Vickers)
I have a silver molly that just seems to sit on the bottom of my tank beside the filther box I thought it was the water athe first few times i seen him doing it and dona a water change straight away but still the same thing , Is this normal ??

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
29 Mar 2007 17:34 #2 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
Replied by ChrisM (ChrisM) on topic Re: Lazy Molly
This behaviour is usually an indication something is majorly wrong.Fish going to the filter box is like humans going towards the white light.

What are his tankmates?
How are they behaving?
What are the parameters? (Ammonia,Nitrate)
What temperature is the water?
What are you feeding?

• Vickers (Vickers)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
29 Mar 2007 20:30 #3 by Vickers (Vickers)
Replied by Vickers (Vickers) on topic Re: Lazy Molly
There is 1 suckers fish and about 20 tetra's noens etc.
Temp is about 28/29
Feeding Tetra Flakes
The other fish seem fine sometimes a few of them seem to be swimming a little sideways and a 10% water change srts that out straight away
I had another molly but it died about 2 weeks ago the ammonia level was very high @ 8 the last time I checked last week but I've only had the tank coming up to 6 weeks now ..

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
30 Mar 2007 01:00 #4 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re: Lazy Molly
Hi Vickers,
IMO you should not wait until your fish swim 'a little sideways' to change some of your water, it's making them suffer for no reason.
10% water change is probably not enough to get rid of the ammonia/nitrites/nitrates that accumulate, especially since your tank is probably still settling/cycling.
The temperature might be a little too high too ; 26 deg. should be enough.
You should get yourself a proper measuring kit, test your parameters more regularly and change at least 30% of the water once a week.
There are a lot of irish-fishkeepers in this forum who are much more experienced than I am and I am sure they will come in with further advice. Also, there are already a few threads on this site about cycling a tank/water changes which you will be able to find with the search functionality.
Wishing you the best of luck with your fish,
Valerie

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
30 Mar 2007 01:48 #5 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re: Lazy Molly
Firstly I recommend reading this:

badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article34.html

One other thing you didn't mention, what size tank have you got?
Could be important especially with that ammount of fish.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
30 Mar 2007 05:07 #6 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: Lazy Molly
Try lowering your temperature to about 25 degrees. Only black mollies really need these high temperatures and your neons will thnak you for it too

• Vickers (Vickers)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
30 Mar 2007 17:34 #7 by Vickers (Vickers)
Thanks for the comments I don't just wait for the fish to go sideways before I change it , the tank is jewel 60 a bit small for the ammount of fish but a friend of mine gave me 8 neons the bought 10 for himself but when he put them in his tank the tiger barbs went straight for them so after 2 casualties he rescued the rest and gave them to me , (he's other neons were a bit bigger and have no problem s with the tiger barbs ) , I have a proper testing kit for ph nitrates ammonia etc,

• Sarah (Sarah)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Apr 2007 08:43 #8 by Sarah (Sarah)
Replied by Sarah (Sarah) on topic Re: Lazy Molly
You know the exact same thing happened to 2 of my 4 mollies, they would just lounge around sitting on plants all day.

They would happily come eat and were active then, but afterwards would lose all energy, and after me trying to solve what was wrong *partial changes ph checks etc* I couldnt find anything, no bullying towards them either.

Temp was 24 degrees, in the end the pair died one night, the other 2 were absolutely fine, and showed no problem at all. Was very odd.

• Vickers (Vickers)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Apr 2007 03:35 #9 by Vickers (Vickers)
yea mine died the other day was doing the same thing lazing around and feeding fine , one side of himlooked like it got weak just before it died he was practicly just floating around with 1 fin flapping

• Sarah (Sarah)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Apr 2007 17:00 #10 by Sarah (Sarah)
Replied by Sarah (Sarah) on topic Re: Lazy Molly
Bleh, one of the 2 surviving ones started acting in this tired way when I last posted, died a few hours later, I have no idea what is causing it as the temp is right, water is fine, and no other fish is acting odd.

Time to create page: 0.046 seconds