Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Anyone having a coral clear out!

More
09 Jun 2016 22:31 - 09 Jun 2016 22:49 #1 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
Hi folks,
This is very short notice but does anyone have any corals they wouldn't mind giving me a bit of. And I really would like small bits, without any rock.
I can meet you at city west hotel on Friday from about 7-8 pm ( I am staying there the night)
Or on Saturday 4-6 pm at seahorse, or on the long mile road place, if that suits most better
I don't mind what sort of corals they are, but they need to be small.
I was thinking of a bit of ones from the families of zooanthids, button polyps , zoanthus, pluses coral, star polpys.
What sort of prices do I want to pay? Really I would like them FREE so you can feel good for help out another fellow reefer who has been dragged around ikea....
I do have one stone of about 1.5. Kg that someone can have, if they have a few bit from their tanks to give away.
So please who can help :-((
If you can't help please post you can't then this post will stay near the top for the day.
Thank you to all who read is and help out.
My number is 086 8732076
Thanks again. Jon
Last edit: 09 Jun 2016 22:49 by Jonlate (Jon Late).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
09 Jun 2016 23:02 #2 by robert (robert carter)
Sorry cant help

More
09 Jun 2016 23:48 #3 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Hey jonlate,

Ill have a check tomorrow to see how much a courier will be to send a few softies like pom pom zenia, green star polyps, metallic star polyps and clove polyps up to ya. Kinda will be just a little bit of everything but they all grow pretty quick. Ill see if i have anything ill be able to ship them in. Most travel well.

In a couple of weeks ill have some Purple Stylophora if you would like a piece.

More
10 Jun 2016 06:33 #4 by Lakes1985 (David Ward)
Iv nothing at the moment, still fairly new tank and don't have much, sorry buddy

More
10 Jun 2016 10:54 #5 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
Thanks guys for your replys so far, especially the ones closest to me (Lakes1985 and Sukahn)
If I do get any other offers over the next two days and get to many for my tank, can I drop some into you David on the way home on Saturday as I will pass by monksland?
Thanks Shane as well, I am in no rush, it's just that I had to payback the wife with a visit to ikea, but thought I might craftily get something in for myself if there were any offers from Dublin. I don't mind waiting until your wife visits family either., and I can pick them up from her.

Sorry to hear about your koi losses Robert, hope you find some replacements soon.

More
10 Jun 2016 13:26 #6 by Lakes1985 (David Ward)

Thanks guys for your replys so far, especially the ones closest to me (Lakes1985 and Sukahn)
If I do get any other offers over the next two days and get to many for my tank, can I drop some into you David on the way home on Saturday as I will pass by monksland?
Thanks Shane as well, I am in no rush, it's just that I had to payback the wife with a visit to ikea, but thought I might craftily get something in for myself if there were any offers from Dublin. I don't mind waiting until your wife visits family either., and I can pick them up from her.

Sorry to hear about your koi losses Robert, hope you find some replacements soon.

Ya that would be no problem at all with me

More
10 Jun 2016 16:03 #7 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
News,

Should be heading up next weekend, probably Saturday if you would be around. Ill only be going up for a few hours then heading back to Galway.

More
10 Jun 2016 20:32 #8 by Lakes1985 (David Ward)
Anybody sort you out with some coral? Iv a small piece of torch coral with 2 heads if you want it?

More
10 Jun 2016 20:38 #9 by Lakes1985 (David Ward)

More
10 Jun 2016 20:52 #10 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
Not yet, but I an here Saturday as well, so so one still might donate some to me!!
Here is hoping B) :S

More
10 Jun 2016 21:06 #11 by Lakes1985 (David Ward)
I'm sure somebody will but either way my offers there for you anyway to start you off, I just broke it off cos Iv already to larger stalks with lots of heads

More
11 Jun 2016 05:50 #12 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)

Anybody sort you out with some coral? Iv a small piece of torch coral with 2 heads if you want it?

g

Just to let you know that is not a torch.

It's from the lobophyillia family and it's nickname is cats eye.

:-)

More
11 Jun 2016 05:52 #13 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)

Not yet, but I an here Saturday as well, so so one still might donate some to me!!
Here is hoping B) :S

I should be up Saturday as long as my dad is free to bring us up. He's rebuilding a roof on his extension so won't know till kinda the end of the week.

More
11 Jun 2016 06:26 - 11 Jun 2016 06:27 #14 by Lakes1985 (David Ward)
Lol sorry my bad i meant trumpet coral not torch, it's also known as candy cane coral. First time iv heard it called cats eye
Last edit: 11 Jun 2016 06:27 by Lakes1985 (David Ward). Reason: Spelling

More
11 Jun 2016 07:16 #15 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Usually called cats eye when it's that lovely green colour :-)

More
11 Jun 2016 07:23 #16 by Lakes1985 (David Ward)

Usually called cats eye when it's that lovely green colour :-)

Ya I googled them there and the're the same thing so don't know why I confused it with torch :blush:

More
11 Jun 2016 22:10 #17 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
Hi all,
Well I had no luck with corals this weekend, I did buy two small bits in seahorses and seemed to have left them on the counter. :angry:
I didn't realise they weren't in the bag until I got home. :( :angry:
I am not sure what to do about that yet, I have to phone them tomorrow.

So lakes1985 is it possible can I pick up that bit of cat eyes- trumpet-torch coral next week. I think so the wife has an eye appointment Tuesday pm, are you around then? Do you need a bit of live rock about 1.5 kg that I can off load onto you?
And thanks again Sukahn, if you are up nearer me on Saturday, tell me a time to be there and I will come over.
Can you both PM me your addresses.

It's strange, out of all the people who offered coral bits, both live the closest to me.
I think we need to boycot Dublin and stick together!
Thanks both and see you later.

More
11 Jun 2016 23:47 #18 by Lakes1985 (David Ward)

Hi all,
Well I had no luck with corals this weekend, I did buy two small bits in seahorses and seemed to have left them on the counter. :angry:
I didn't realise they weren't in the bag until I got home. :( :angry:
I am not sure what to do about that yet, I have to phone them tomorrow.

So lakes1985 is it possible can I pick up that bit of cat eyes- trumpet-torch coral next week. I think so the wife has an eye appointment Tuesday pm, are you around then? Do you need a bit of live rock about 1.5 kg that I can off load onto you?
And thanks again Sukahn, if you are up nearer me on Saturday, tell me a time to be there and I will come over.
Can you both PM me your addresses.

It's strange, out of all the people who offered coral bits, both live the closest to me.
I think we need to boycot Dublin and stick together!
Thanks both and see you later.

You can have it for free buddy, around what time on a Tuesday would you be talking? I can arrange my day so il be in athlone.

More
12 Jun 2016 13:28 #19 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
Just sent you a PM, about Wednesday instead. I got the day wrong! Sorry!

More
13 Jun 2016 00:27 #20 by carlowchris (chris)
Hi ya. ...just seeing now...

Ahhhh you always have to watch ya buy in sh....I've done that a few times myself too.

I might try meeet up with Dave sometime and hopefuly get ya a few bits.

More
13 Jun 2016 13:08 #21 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
Phoned SH yesterday and they are going too post me the coral down. I think that's great service, as they could have just said it was my fault not not checking before I left.
Let's hope they survive the post, at least it's warm out still.
It will be another month before I an get to Dublin again, so thanks for the offer Chris, I will let you know the dates I'm up when I know.

More
13 Jun 2016 20:43 #22 by Lakes1985 (David Ward)

Hi ya. ...just seeing now...

Ahhhh you always have to watch ya buy in sh....I've done that a few times myself too.

I might try meeet up with Dave sometime and hopefuly get ya a few bits.

Ya we will need to soon bud

More
15 Jun 2016 23:10 #23 by Lakes1985 (David Ward)
Any pics yet?

More
16 Jun 2016 05:36 #24 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
I should be on myway to ballinlough either Saturday or Sunday. Around lunchtime with some corals for ya.

Green star polyps, metallic green stars, cloves and pom-pom zenia. All loose as well as long as I can peel them off my holding box lol.

More
16 Jun 2016 16:17 #25 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
Thanks Sukahn,
Just let me know what day you will be there and so will I.
Can't wait to get them in and glued into position, then I will post photos, promise!!
Can you PM me your address in ballinlough, if you know the eircode even better. Or do you want to meet in the petrol station there.
Let me know.
Thanks again.
All excited now :silly:

More
18 Jun 2016 10:39 #26 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
Hi Sukahn,
I will pm you my phone number, so you can text me what time today or tomorrow u will be up.
hopefully see you later.
Jon

More
21 Jun 2016 12:59 #27 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
A quick thanks to shane and david for the coral bits they both gave me. It was good to meet up and have a quick chat.
Good luck with your tanks, and hope to meet again in the future.

More
21 Jun 2016 19:46 #28 by Lakes1985 (David Ward)
It was my pleasure, always nice to be of help

More
22 Jun 2016 22:49 #29 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Great to meet you man, hopefully all the stuff i gave you will grow and you will have to start giving away stuff to others :)

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds