Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Bristle worms

More
21 Jul 2016 22:44 - 21 Jul 2016 22:45 #1 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g378/Jonlat...age_zpszgmylvya.jpeg

Hey all, caught me a bristle worm today and didn't fancy it with my chips tonight or for lunch tomorrow.
So what should I do with it, remembering I only have a small 6 liter tank?
Does anyone want one?
Should put it back?
Should I let it go to live its life chasing fish in its imagination.
I have taken out 2 small ones recently, so no doubt there are plenty still in there.?
Answers on a post card, are they friend or foe?

Last edit: 21 Jul 2016 22:45 by Jonlate (Jon Late).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
22 Jul 2016 06:22 - 22 Jul 2016 06:23 #2 by Lakes1985 (David Ward)
How did you catch it? Iv 1 that I see every now and again
Last edit: 22 Jul 2016 06:23 by Lakes1985 (David Ward).

More
22 Jul 2016 11:40 #3 by carlowchris (chris)
Replied by carlowchris (chris) on topic Bristle worms
Flush it.....nasty little feckers....they don't really do any damage but not very plesant to look at and get very big and those spikes get stuck in your skin if your ever moving rock around and disturb them.

More
22 Jul 2016 12:42 #4 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
Replied by Jonlate (Jon Late) on topic Bristle worms
I saw it a few days ago and tried to catch it, but missed.
Last night I put a syringe in the tank with food in it, hoping it would crawl inside, but before it did is saw it come out of its hole and go under a small peice of rock I have at the front.
So I grabbed the tweezers, moved the rock and saw it trying to burrow into the sand underneath the rock. So I just stabbed into the sand with the tweezers and just caught it, before it disappeared.
Pure luck really.
I just can't believe how big it got.

More
22 Jul 2016 16:20 #5 by robert (robert carter)
In my ignorance what is a bristle worm ?

More
22 Jul 2016 19:16 #6 by carlowchris (chris)
Replied by carlowchris (chris) on topic Bristle worms
There from the same family as fan worms....they eat detritus and stuff good filter feeders but if ya ever get poked by one of those brissles there tiny and it's like having a splinter for weeks...you won't get it out with a pair of tweezers. ...and they can get quite big too at least a foot if not more.

More
22 Jul 2016 22:05 #7 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
Ya want me to post it to you Robert, I still have it, just haven't the heart to flush it yet!!

More
22 Jul 2016 22:09 #8 by robert (robert carter)
No not really , i no nothing about marine and was just interested to know what they were , i assume you dont buy them that they just hitch a ride when you have brought live rock/coral

More
23 Jul 2016 13:21 #9 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Yuck, was reading about these guys last week. What other nastys can you get in marine tanks?

Stephen.

More
25 Jul 2016 01:16 #10 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
They are a good thing in your tank, for some part. They will when they get bigger really annoy corals with their sting, and do eventually take a fancy to softies like zoas.

They do get big. I got a big one about 9 inches and about half an inch wide outta one of my tanks before. I dont like them and if you feed too much to your tank you just feed them and they multiply like crazy so i would get them out.

Also depends on which type you have. The red with light small spikes are not too bad, little sting, run under warm water will nuetralize the sting.

If its a light red with long very white spikes all over, its a fire worm, NASTY NASTY STING. Makes your hand feel like its on fire (hence name) get it out and get it out now lol.

I have a video of me catching some outta my M60 before i look it down, a coke bottle with 6mm piping coming out of it to rock and sand and you will be amazed at what comes outta a marine tank lol.

They are a hitch hiker robert and in small numbers are good for your tank as they are part of a natural reef.

More
25 Jul 2016 01:16 #11 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)

Yuck, was reading about these guys last week. What other nastys can you get in marine tanks?

Stephen.

Check out bobbit worms lol :) I had one in my tank before :)

More
27 Jul 2016 17:08 #12 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Holy crap, I would burn the house down if i spotted one of them in a tank! Might have to rethink this reef tank! lol

Stephen.

More
27 Jul 2016 17:34 #13 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
I have been finding loads of weird critters in the tank, but it adds to the enjoyment of things. Some are only 1-2 mm long, others like this bristle worm is about 6-7 cm long.
I am sure there are more in the tank, but until things start being eaten, I will leave them where they are and only take out the big ones when I see them. They do eat the leftovers.
That being said, this one is going on a short journey somewhere else!! I am surprised about it though. I put it into chopped up water bottle with about 3 inches of water, no heater, no pump, and it's still actively moving around in the water. So it seems a shame to relocate it, but it is going.
Go on get your self a marine tank, it's great fun.

More
27 Jul 2016 18:18 #14 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
I don't mind critters in a tank once they cant bite or hurt me! :angry: Im in the process of setting up a marine tank so really looking forward to it. Sill in the research stage but should be ordering a tank in the next week or two.

Stephen

More
27 Jul 2016 22:22 #15 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
Most things wont actually hurt you. I used to feed my bobbit worm, was great fun when you would see him trying to attack a snail lol. He was pretty tiny, nothing like that you see on youtube.

Marine in my eyes is far more enjoyable, especially when you have corals that you can see growing and eating things :)

More
05 Aug 2016 09:48 #16 by robert (robert carter)
Just seen a picture of one of these worms on facebook it is three and half feet long , a evil looking thing

More
08 Aug 2016 02:36 #17 by Sukahn (Shane Doorley)
They can be quite strong too, when i was getting some out of my M60 they could pick up a coke bottle and throw it around the tank lol, one of the ones i got was about 12inchs when extended, about 6 inchs normally, he could just about get down a 8mm pipe into the coke bottle lol.

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds