Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Sally lightfoot and mushrooms

More
27 Dec 2008 13:28 - 27 Dec 2008 13:29 #1 by M.C. (Sergei Mistsuk)
Hi!

Does anyone ever seen that crab eating mushrooms? I had 2 full rocks of blue stripped mushrooms and by now only 1 mushroom left on one rock. I saw crab near by trying to eat, but never seen him really eating them. Can he do it at night? There is noone else in aquarium can eat mushrooms!!! Also it was other polyps on rock with mushrooms and they gone too, Rock is clear now :angry:

I bought that crab to clear my tank from algae, not from corals!!! :ohmy:
Last edit: 27 Dec 2008 13:29 by M.C. (Sergei Mistsuk).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
27 Dec 2008 14:31 #2 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
I would say it is highly unlikely the crab did the damage. Even though they can sometimes eat small polyps the chances of one crab going through all your mushrooms seems unlikely.
I think it would have to be a large crab and small mushrooms.
See if you can isolate the crab.

More
27 Dec 2008 17:48 #3 by M.C. (Sergei Mistsuk)
I've seen him trying to eat, but never saw him eating them completly, but I think I have to isolate him as the production of his algae removing is very low, just need to catch him :)

More
28 Dec 2008 01:25 #4 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
I beleave these are tricky to catch. You might have to make a trap from a bottle with some food inside. Even doing this everything else in the tank will want to enter and steel the food.
If you get to remove the crab keep an eye out for anything else that might be attacking the mushrooms. It could be one of the fish or something is hiding in the rocks and eating them at night.
Your tank sounds new since you mention using the crab for algae control. Red leg hermits and some turbo snails will do the job.
If the tank is fairly new and you are going through an algae episode, it will pass fairly quickly.

More
03 Jan 2009 15:13 #5 by M.C. (Sergei Mistsuk)
Hi!

Thanks! I've seen only crab eating them, BUT recently I've spoted worm in my new clavularia rock. It's hard to classify the worm but clavularia is OK and other corals too and I hope this worm eat only garbage :)

I'll catch crab and swap him with another mushrooms just to see what happend then to know was it crab or not. My tank quite new and green algae is becouse of bad input water (I've got RO just foew weeks ago) and lots of food remainings (i put less food now in one go to let fish eat all), so I hope it will go soon

More
04 Jan 2009 02:17 #6 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
I wouldn't worry about the worm with the corals.
The fish dont need all that much to eat. A little and often is a good way to feed them.
You can reduce the light period to 6 hours a day while you are having algae problems.

How long is the tank set up? What type of algae is it?

Time to create page: 0.041 seconds