Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Spaghetti worm attack??!!

More
19 Mar 2009 23:59 #1 by MagiC (Maciek Czarnota)
Hi guys. just got some cleanin crew today from Killian.nice hermits, snails, cucumbers and red starfish.i aclimatize them ad let them in.after bout an hour i saw starfish in the same place as he was when i put him in, but i noticed a spaghetti worm tenticles (thats what i think it is from googlin around) wraped around him and few chunks of meat missing from his legs!! does any one know if they can attack any tank mates?
btw. i dont think there was anythin else that could attack him.
is there any way that starfish might just start "fallin a part" ater introducin to a new tank?
cheers.:(

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
20 Mar 2009 00:22 #2 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
This is a spaghetti worm.

I have never seen them attach anything living.
Maybe you could move the starfish away from the worm just to be sure.
Once condition in the tank are good and the starfish is feeding well it should heal quickly.
The only critters i ever seen attacking starfish were green hermits (illegal).
I have seen starfish chopped up pretty badly and to return to full health in no time at all.

More
20 Mar 2009 01:05 #3 by reefpaddy (paddy kelly)
i take the tank is cycling, about a month old. your watwer q is probably crap so the star fish prob came from excellent wc and although star fish are hardy as fxxx, the change in water q will have an affect, and as quoted above ,i have seen healthy 3 legged sf,but i would still remove any critters that have surfaced from your live sand(which obviosly you have)and move him to higher ground, leave your lights off for a while and he should be cleaning your glass by the end of the week. nice addition by the way every tank should have one, cucumbers on the other hand ,ugly gits but vg for nitrates, algae ect..
best of luck with the set up, looks like your doin everything by the book. good man

More
21 Mar 2009 22:35 #4 by MagiC (Maciek Czarnota)
cheers guys.
tank was cyclin for 9 weeks now.i dont think it was a spaghetti worm fault...
dont know what happened...but i found my starfish almost fully "dissolved" in my tank yesterday...:(
poor thing...

btw. nitrates,nitites, phosphores, amonia levels are zero...
The rest of the team is doin well :)

More
22 Mar 2009 03:03 #5 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
I would highly recommend a quarantined tank for anything you plan to put into the tank. This includes inverts and corals.
A few days before removing anything from the quarantine tank do daily water changes but instead of using fresh salt water to top up the tank use water from the main tank. This way they adjust to the water in the main tank and the transition is a lot easier for the inverts, fish, corals etc.

After anything dies in the tank like the starfish i would do a water change and monitor the water for a few days afterwards. I think it's possible for them to release some pretty nasty toxins when they die and the last thing you want is to wipe out everything in the tank.

I have never kept starfish but i imagine the tank is still a bit newly set up for them. It might be best to wait another month or so before adding another one. Just my opinion.

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds