Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Breaking up Live Rock & Corals

More
30 Jun 2010 11:00 - 30 Jun 2010 11:34 #1 by j14 (j14)
Hi Everybody.

I have a really nice piece of Live Rock I got from a member on here, Buleetu. It is covered in Coral. This is where my problem lies, it is too covered in coral. All the corals are growing into / on top of each other. They were all small frags when I got the rock but they are getting bigger and need more space.

There must be 8 different types, Mushrooms, Leathers, two Anenomes, Acropora, tiny feather dusters etc.

I want to break up this rock and spread the corals around my tank.

What is the best way to do this? I was thinking of placing the Rock into a bucket and going at it with a hammer and chisel. Is this a bit extreme?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Jay.

Arsene knows...
Last edit: 30 Jun 2010 11:34 by j14 (j14).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
30 Jun 2010 11:15 #2 by dar (darren curry)
i can picture this being awkward, wat if you take it out wrap it in a tank water wet towel drill a hole in the center and chisel trough the hole, might give an even split wit a bit less smashing and a bit less stress, i might offer im nowhere near marines so others might offer better advice

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic

More
30 Jun 2010 12:15 #3 by reefpaddy (paddy kelly)
j14 wrote:

Hi Everybody.

I have a really nice piece of Live Rock I got from a member on here, Buleetu. It is covered in Coral. This is where my problem lies, it is too covered in coral. All the corals are growing into / on top of each other. They were all small frags when I got the rock but they are getting bigger and need more space.

There must be 8 different types, Mushrooms, Leathers, two Anenomes, Acropora, tiny feather dusters etc.

I want to break up this rock and spread the corals around my tank.

What is the best way to do this? I was thinking of placing the Rock into a bucket and going at it with a hammer and chisel. Is this a bit extreme?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Jay.

thats exactly how to do it, as long as there are no sponges you want to keep on as they will die if they hit the air.
you will more than likly get away with using a long nose pliars/snips as live rock is very soft. just go ahead and do it mate , iv done it many times without losing any corals.
best of luck

More
01 Jul 2010 08:26 #4 by j14 (j14)
Thanks for the suggestions lads.

I sorted the Rock last night, I have a few grumpy corals at the moment but hopefully everything will settle down and open up over the next day or two.

Thanks again.

J.

Arsene knows...

Time to create page: 0.037 seconds